Huntley living

Logan

I know this question has been asked too many times on these forums but Huntley?s discussion board is somewhat old now. I was hoping that someone who?s actually living in Huntley homes that are backing up Jamboree could answer this for me.

We finally got a call to reserve one of the Phase 9 homes backing up against Jamboree. We absolutely love the home and it meets our lifestyle and needs perfectly right now. We have a week to decide whether we want to sign up the contract and are having a tough time to come up with a decision. What?s making this even more difficult for us to decide is the fact that the home is sitting on a huge lot (almost 9400 sq ft).  Someone from the sales team took us inside a newly constructed home and truth be told, we couldn?t hear a thing inside.

We went back a few times in evening rush hour and found the noise levels to be a bit discomforting but still tolerable. Heck, we even tried to convince ourselves that the bigger yard would compensate for the noise outside. This morning we went back during morning rush hour and that combined with the construction noise (agreed, construction is only temporary) kinda pushed us to the edge and we are now re-thinking our options. Given that we have only a few days to make up our mind, I was hoping someone who actually lives there can answer how bad it really is. I am hoping that during the day, it won?t be as bad say after 9 am and once the construction stops.

Thanks for your answers ?

Logan said:
I know this question has been asked too many times on these forums but Huntley?s discussion board is somewhat old now. I was hoping that someone who?s actually living in Huntley homes that are backing up Jamboree could answer this for me.

We finally got a call to reserve one of the Phase 9 homes backing up against Jamboree. We absolutely love the home and it meets our lifestyle and needs perfectly right now. We have a week to decide whether we want to sign up the contract and are having a tough time to come up with a decision. What?s making this even more difficult for us to decide is the fact that the home is sitting on a huge lot (almost 9400 sq ft).  Someone from the sales team took us inside a newly constructed home and truth be told, we couldn?t hear a thing inside.

We went back a few times in evening rush hour and found the noise levels to be a bit discomforting but still tolerable. Heck, we even tried to convince ourselves that the bigger yard would compensate for the noise outside. This morning we went back during morning rush hour and that combined with the construction noise (agreed, construction is only temporary) kinda pushed us to the edge and we are now re-thinking our options. Given that we have only a few days to make up our mind, I was hoping someone who actually lives there can answer how bad it really is. I am hoping that during the day, it won?t be as bad say after 9 am and once the construction stops.

Thanks for your answers ?

If they gave you a week to decide, that means no one else wants it.

While noise during rush hour may be tolerable, when you need to go there is like 10p-1am to see how noisy it is while you are trying to go to sleep, or 5a-7a when you are trying to stay asleep.

We lived near Culver and thought the other aspects of the house would offset (also a gigantic lot) but after a few years, it was just too much.

But some are immune to noise (like qwerdeaf) so you might be okay with it. I wouldn't recommend it.

Thank you for your response. Inside the home was super quiet as i mentioned in my first post. So I don't think once we are inside, it is going to  matter at all. Just to make sure we went inside a newly constructed Phase 7 home and it was super quiet. So again, that's not an issue at all.

irvinehomeowner said:
While noise during rush hour may be tolerable, when you need to go there is like 10p-1am to see how noisy it is while you are trying to go to sleep, or 5a-7a when you are trying to stay asleep.

We lived near Culver and thought the other aspects of the house would offset (also a gigantic lot) but after a few years, it was just too much.

But some are immune to noise (like qwerdeaf) so you might be okay with it. I wouldn't recommend it.

LOL.. haven't heard that one.

Haven't those homes been sitting on the market for a long time?  With a lot of incentives?  At a lower price? 

The freeway will deter people from buying the home if you ever decide to sell.  Jamboree has become quite busy street with the district , have you seen what costco and  shopping areas looks like on weekends?  That street will only become busier and hence noisier .

Especially being in tustin , harder to sell.  I just sold my irvine home near the freeway and all the feedback response was freeway was a deterrent and inhad over 100 viewings all saying the same thing freeway noise . The only saving grace was mine was single family home, still sold about 100k below what 2300 sq ft homes self for in irvine.  You can look up my sold property, 17 orangetip.  The only reason it sold was I was  in irvine and a Chinese buyer paid all cash bc they were near stores like ranch 99 nearby.

So after that experience I told myself would only buy an interior lots away from traffic

But if you don't plan to sell I guess it's an option

Ddsballer said:
The freeway will deter people from buying the home if you ever decide to sell.  Jamboree has become quite busy street with the district , have you seen what costco and  shopping areas looks like on weekends?  That street will only become busier and hence noisier .

Especially being in tustin , harder to sell.  I just sold my irvine home near the freeway and all the feedback response was freeway was a deterrent and inhad over 100 viewings all saying the same thing freeway noise . The only saving grace was mine was single family home, still sold about 100k below what 2300 sq ft homes self for in irvine.  You can look up my sold property, 17 orangetip.  The only reason it sold was I was  in irvine and a Chinese buyer paid all cash bc they were near stores like ranch 99 nearby.

So after that experience I told myself would only buy an interior lots away from traffic

You sold a nice looking home on a culdesac but the proximity to the freeway would be a deal breaker for me.

Yes the only reason I bought it was I got in at a good price back in 2006. But I would be apprehensive dropping a million dollars on a house near a noisy freeway like jamboree, especially being in tustin with no irvine kool laid to entice FCBs

Ddsballer said:
Yes the only reason I bought it was I got in at a good price back in 2006. But I would be apprehensive dropping a million dollars on a house near a noisy freeway like jamboree, especially being in tustin with no irvine kool laid to entice FCBs

Truthiness.

I've lived in a home adjacent to Edinger, and while it was fine for a couple years, it became intolerable after that.

While the home may be quiet inside with all windows and doors closed, you will not be able to open windows for a breeze or to circulate the air in the home.  When it's warm, you'll be 100% reliant on the A/C.  If you like opening windows AT ALL, then I wouldn't risk it.

Resale value is a big deal, and already covered here in a response.

Lastly, you should consider the debris that is generated from Jamboree.  Not sure if you have kids, but our home was inundated with a fine black dust that came in from Edinger.  It was really sticky also, which makes sense as it is composed of asphalt, rubber, etc.

We also had a large lot to compensate for the major street, but "quiet enjoyment" in the yard was a challenge.  We offset it with plants, water features, etc., but it took effort to drown out the noise.

Good luck, and I wish you the best.  If the choice was mine, I would walk away and never look back.

iacrenter said:
Ddsballer said:

You sold a nice looking home on a culdesac but the proximity to the freeway would be a deal breaker for me.

What do you think is the smallest acceptable distance from the freeway?

Ddsballer said:

I second that. I use to live by a main street. Never again.

I'm generally not that anti-street, but I'm anti 30 foot wall between me and a major thorough fair.  In some cases, if the street is quiet, I actually think it can be okay to back the street (more private, etc).  Those Huntley homes that back the street would literally have to be 150-200K less for me to even consider it and right now I think the difference in price is nowhere near that drastic.  Even than, with young kids, etc, and being a person who likes to have windows open, I just can't get past all the cars and smog and everything else that would get blown into the house (let alone the noise when you are out back trying to enjoy your yard). 

The new home smell allows them to sell those homes, but when that new home smell wears off, homes that back that busy of a street (lets call it what it is...FWY) are going to sell at a major discount and take a lot longer to sell (and in a down market, if you need to exit, ouch). 

Bullsback said:
I'm generally not that anti-street, but I'm anti 30 foot wall between me and a major thorough fair.  In some cases, if the street is quiet, I actually think it can be okay to back the street (more private, etc).  Those Huntley homes that back the street would literally have to be 150K less for me to even consider it and right now I think the difference in price is nowhere near that drastic.  Even than, with young kids, etc, and being a person who likes to have windows open, I just can't get past all the cars and smog and everything else that would get blown into the house (let alone the noise when you are out back trying to enjoy your yard). 

The new home smell allows them to sell those homes, but when that new home smell wears off, homes that back that busy of a street (lets call it what it is...FWY) are going to sell at a major discount and take a lot longer to sell (and in a down market, if you need to exit, ouch).

aren't they discounted pretty heavily?

jmoney74 said:
Bullsback said:
I'm generally not that anti-street, but I'm anti 30 foot wall between me and a major thorough fair.  In some cases, if the street is quiet, I actually think it can be okay to back the street (more private, etc).  Those Huntley homes that back the street would literally have to be 150K less for me to even consider it and right now I think the difference in price is nowhere near that drastic.  Even than, with young kids, etc, and being a person who likes to have windows open, I just can't get past all the cars and smog and everything else that would get blown into the house (let alone the noise when you are out back trying to enjoy your yard). 

aren't they discounted pretty heavily?
I haven't been there in a long time, but I thought at phase 1, the discount was like 50K. 

Well Huntley released the first homes along Jamboree in phase 3 or 4, some poor guy bought model three at a little over a 1 million, with no upgrades, once the new home hype wore off, model 3  was like at 982k but couldn't sell, so they added significant upgrades and a 25k toward closing and upgrade incentives to start moving these homes.  After these incentives and 50k price drop then these homes starting moving , however most people just put a deposit down and have not fully committed to these homes just yet.... 

so there could be more price drops, if buyers start backing out along Jamboree side once they begin to carefully consider  the noise and the "great wall" backyard.

might want to look at Eastwood village better location albiet you have to pay a little more being in Irvine, or if your intent on a bigger size house , CRESSA IN PS  would be the most comparable to HUNTLEY in price at least , with a quieter location .

Third! I used to be on the corner of Culver and the 5 Freeway. We moved too. Also echo'ing IHO's comment on 11PM to 1AM noise level when you try to sleep. Think about these FCBs super exotics take their rides and speed down Jamboree. It's loud. Disclaimer, I love Huntley floor plans. This is the reason holding us back. If this product is in other location, I will be priced out of it anyway.

soyi said:
Ddsballer said:

I second that. I use to live by a main street. Never again.

Back