Minors coming in Open Houses without Parents

Etinchen

Are minors (under age kids) allowed to come to open houses without parents or supervison?

Google this online however did not get an answer

I think a good question to ask would be why the minors are visiting open houses.  The minors may just be curious lookie loos, or might they be looking to see if there is anything inside the house worth taking.  We recently had a couple cars broken into on our street and the police mentioned that they have seen teenagers involved in such crimes.

Is this a personal experience of yours?  I don't believe there will be a law that discriminates against minors being able to view open houses, but I think the agent involved needs to discreetly assess the situation and take appropriate measures to protect their client.

I think they were trying to steal stuff. Happened to a friend of mine. Nothing was taken however she thought it was odd.

jmoney74 said:
Dont let them in

Agreed. You or the listing agent have the right to tell them they cannot look without parental supervision. It's not like they are serious buyers so why waste your time. Not like you'd let a 16 year old test drive a lambo just because they show you their brand new driver's license so I imagine you have the right to say "no"

My listing agent's policy was: *Every buyer must be accompanied by an agent.*

If they didn't have one, she would give them the contact info for one who could help them. That took care of that. Unattended minors, grown-ups with bad intentions, buyers who are not serious about buying, and lookieloo neighbors need not attend. As a seller, it worked out perfectly fine for us. Thankfully, she was not an agent who exploits their sellers' open houses as a meet & greet to drum up business for herself.

Back