Avalon Eastwood Village VS Brio At beacon Patk

blueribbon

hello everyone.
I have recently started visiting TI and cant mention how much of information I got here. Thank you so much. I visited Avalon last week and they are on phase six  :-\
The price for plan 2 s $490 K without any upgrades and they said we would be on a waiting list.
Can some of you come up with the cons of buying in Eastwood Village? Their mello roos  taxes are about 2800. They said they sold 30 homes in 2 months. Avalon and Helena seem to be more popular than other models. Any toxins in Eastwood Village

The Brio @Beacon Park is selling 3bed for about 630K single level living and the lady also offered to get some upgrade credits with the builder. What are the cons of buying in Great Park?
Mello roos is almost 5k. Read about the cemetery near great park. Is this a toxic land as well?

Please give your thoughts on the 2 properties folks.
thank you

I'll pick Avalon just for lower MR.  Nobody like to pay more taxes. 

All Eastwood home are selling like hotcake right now.  I believe lower MR is one reason and zone to Northwood High probably another major reason. 

i think its a pretty sad state that the whole "toxin/toxic land" thing is such a large concern for ppl that they'll ask INTERNET STRANGERS vs doing their own due diligence (or maybe this is part of it)

i mean if we reply "yeah its radioactive, don't buy" or "everything is peachy, no fumes here." then you'll suddenly decide this random guy's word is gospel?

you get a lot more sq footage with brio and the plans IMO are nicer. (den or 3rd small bedroom)

but you're looking at very high MR. the 2ndary HOA there is fairly high too.

pros of brio would be the walkable K-9 school that's shaping up to look very nice (no idea on teachers but the facility is top notch looking at least), less neighbors per building/structure vs. avalon

pros of avalon would the northwood HS mentioned. significantly cheaper MR and I'll bet smaller 2ndary HOA too.

interesting on the whole hs redistricting . . .

I remember when I was at Irvine High, NOBODY, wanted to go to Northwood even though it was new, had the best facilities in the district, had the young up and coming Assistant Principal, cherry picked the best young teachers etc. . . .

Just personal opinion, I'm less concerned with school test scores, than my kid's test scores.

That being said, I did buy a house in Irvine, paid the 20-40% premium vs. other areas, so can't say I'm immune and there is a hypocrisy. 

LongIrvine said:
interesting on the whole hs redistricting . . .

I remember when I was at Irvine High, NOBODY, wanted to go to Northwood even though it was new, had the best facilities in the district, had the young up and coming Assistant Principal, cherry picked the best young teachers etc. . . .

Just personal opinion, I'm less concerned with school test scores, than my kid's test scores.

That being said, I did buy a house in Irvine, paid the 20-40% premium vs. other areas, so can't say I'm immune and there is a hypocrisy.

when you say "NOBODY" do you mean the students or the parents? there's probably a different mindset for students/kids that age. maybe not wanting to be labeled/associated with whatever group that's showing up there.

and yeah, at the end we bought here too and paid the premium so if my daughter doesn't become the third astronaut to step on mars (because i want to be realistic in goals for her) I'm going to be awfully pissed.

"nobody"-references both. . . . would add that those opinions may have been skewed due to sports. . . ie, Northwood wouldn't have Varsity teams for a couple of years. 

Thank you so much for all the replies. Honestly the way Avalon guys presented , appears that it will be a while till we can get called from the waiting list. When you buy a new home, did you 'll take an agent with you? Are there any benefits of taking an agent with you or going by yourself is better?

blueribbon said:
Thank you so much for all the replies. Honestly the way Avalon guys presented , appears that it will be a while till we can get called from the waiting list. When you buy a new home, did you 'll take an agent with you? Are there any benefits of taking an agent with you or going by yourself is better?

Why do you like Avalon? In my opinion its a two bedroom apartment style/condo. The place will eventually be too small. (Just guessing, I don't know your family situation)

I like the Avalon for its single level plan and lower mello roos , not because of Northwood HS. Once portola  HS opens up and becomes a Gold Ribbon or some other colored ribbon then it will become popular. For folks who are already in Beacon Park, do you'll like it there ? Any feedback ?

Single level-there are a couple that I think are actually better, but in Woodbury East (no adjacent school).  Monterey has a 2 bedroom 2.5 bath single level with vaulted ceilings.  Pretty sure there was another 2 bedroom in Woodbury East which tends to be priced at 350-375/ft. 

I love it in BP.  Most of the things I don't like will fade with time.  Construction zone, 2-3 more years, dirt front yards (same maybe longer), hit or miss on Trabuco access (apparently another half year).  I actually like the desert landscaping, wife hates it.  We're relatively close to the school, so we'll see how that works with traffic and all.  Neighbors are nice thus far and like the fact that most have kids/planning to have kids, park is always busy which is great. 

Thus far, no real complaints. 

blueribbon said:

take an agent with you so you'll qualify for the broker co-op, which most agents would happily split with you (towards closing cost etc) given its a new home and there's less work for them:
http://www.talkirvine.com/index.php/topic,2700.0.html

if you didn't one with you the first time and you've already register with them.. then you're probably missing out on this..

LongIrvine said:
hit or miss on Trabuco access (apparently another half year). 

This! There's no consistency in what time they open/close the gates...I've left my house at 6:30am on a weekday and it's been open, but have also tried that way at 7:15am and it's still locked up...come on 5P, get your security guy to wake up on time, I don't mind if he's lazy and locks up late b/c that drive around to Irvine Blvd is an extra 5 min, 10 min if you're unlucky and hit a lot of reds along the way.

I actually don't like how they've done some grass and some drought resistant stuff, they should have went all one way.  I'm sure you've seen my wife and I walking around, we walk around all of BP most late afternoons/evenings, if you see the Asian couple with the baby in an Ergo, that's us, stop us and say hi. 

You guys aren't the only ones waiting for them to open that route.  I've tried it multiple times and gotten through maybe 2 times in 10 tries.  Every time I turn right on Trabuco from Sand Canyon my kids say "here we go again."

Wonder how many people lurk and read TI.  But here's a tip, if the route is open, that route even into PP or Portala via Ridge Valley is way faster than going down Sand Canyon, I'm sure it will be slower once the area gets built out and when the school opens up in the morning and afternoon. 

If you're a slow driver please use Sand Canyon... >:D

asian couple with baby. . . . we're the same, if you see an asian couple with a baby jogger. . .that's me. . . i'm pretty sure i waved to you the other day while working on landscaping. 

akkord said:
Wonder how many people lurk and read TI.  But here's a tip, if the route is open, that route even into PP or Portala via Ridge Valley is way faster than going down Sand Canyon, I'm sure it will be slower once the area gets built out and when the school opens up in the morning and afternoon. 

If you're a slow driver please use Sand Canyon... >:D

Not nearly enough to make a difference in the traffic flow!

Please keep us posted though as to when it's open full time, since I've given up on trying that route and being disappointed. 

LongIrvine said:
asian couple with baby. . . . we're the same, if you see an asian couple with a baby jogger. . .that's me. . . i'm pretty sure i waved to you the other day while working on landscaping.

Ok I think I know exactly where you are at, if I see you working outside I'll say hi.  Hopefully, its not the wrong person, but at least I'll meet people in the neighborhood if it isn't you.

Sorry for derailing this thread...BP is a good place to live, you'll be relatively close to the school being built, and hopefully the retail center they open up off Trabuco and Ridge Valley will have some new restaurants and another market to choose from.  But if the op thinks Avalon is comparable to Brio, I'd go with the lower MR. 

Another tip, Irvine PD is off Ridge Valley and Paramount on the construction side around 4:30pm most days, possibly waiting for speeders or maybe he/she's there on their break.  I have spoken to Glenn once, one of the Irvine PD officers that patrol the area, nice guy, not sure if its him off the intersection though. 

Avalon plan 2 started at $490k?!?! This can't be right can it? Did you mean plan 1 started at that price?

blueribbon said:
hello everyone.
I have recently started visiting TI and cant mention how much of information I got here. Thank you so much. I visited Avalon last week and they are on phase six  :-\
The price for plan 2 s $490 K without any upgrades and they said we would be on a waiting list.
Can some of you come up with the cons of buying in Eastwood Village? Their mello roos  taxes are about 2800. They said they sold 30 homes in 2 months. Avalon and Helena seem to be more popular than other models. Any toxins in Eastwood Village

The Brio @Beacon Park is selling 3bed for about 630K single level living and the lady also offered to get some upgrade credits with the builder. What are the cons of buying in Great Park?
Mello roos is almost 5k. Read about the cemetery near great park. Is this a toxic land as well?

Please give your thoughts on the 2 properties folks.
thank you

Back