mattresses

ocerdoc

Hey Guys,

I'm looking for a new mattress.  So far I have been to ortho mattress which has good yelp reviews.  The sellers recommended me a cal king, hybrid foam spring for 2200 dollars, which seems a little steep for me. 

Do you have any guys recs for mattresses?

thanks

If you want to save $, what about looking into one of the mattress start ups?  Casper, Tuft & Needle etc?  Cal king will run you under $1000.  We actually have a Tuft & Needle one and like it.  Tons of reviews online...

I've been getting all my mattresses here... and have been super happy with the quality.  I have a couple queen size and one king size.  No complaints. Their low cost is probably due to no website overhead (their site looks so outdated). 
http://www.thefoamfactory.com/

bones said:
If you want to save $, what about looking into one of the mattress start ups?  Casper, Tuft & Needle etc?  Cal king will run you under $1000.  We actually have a Tuft & Needle one and like it.  Tons of reviews online...

+1 for Tuft & Needle.  They also give you a 100 day sleep test and if you don't like it you can donate it / send it back and they refund your entire purchase.  Got a queen for $500 5 months ago and love it.

Does Casper or Tuft & Needle do haul away of your old mattress?  If not did you guys figure out a way to get rid of it without paying $75+ for a junk haul away service? 

I'd rather not put it on Craigslist and have weirdos show up at my house.

aquabliss said:
Does Casper or Tuft & Needle do haul away of your old mattress?  If not did you guys figure out a way to get rid of it without paying $75+ for a junk haul away service? 

Waste Management will haul away 4 large items twice a year for free as part of your trash service.

aquabliss said:

a friend of mines called up the Salvation Army to ask about  donating their mattress. you just have to  schedule a time and SA will come and hauled it away. 

irvinehomeowner said:
aquabliss said:

Waste Management will haul away 4 large items twice a year for free as part of your trash service.

I used this service, pretty cool, got it on video, the garbage truck crushes the large item in its belly...my sofa didn't stand a chance.  It's like the Death Star trash compactor scene, except it's mobile.

We use it regularly for furniture we can't give away.

The funny thing is that usually the number of items left out at night is reduced by the time they pick them up.

#ghostsbutnocemetery

Anybody here ever tried Purple mattresses?

So are spring coil mattresses going to become extinct eventually?

Also if you are looking into one of the mattress start ups, check your Amex. They had a $100 statement credit for T&N not too long ago.

thank you.    It is enticing to try tuft and needle given the price and the 100 night return guarantee.  However, it is also a gamble to spend 1000 bucks on a mattress that you've never tried before.  It also seem like there's only one standard option,  I tend to like my mattresses on the firmer side.  Bones: how long have you had the mattress and how firm is it?  thank you. 

irv81 said:
thank you.    It is enticing to try tuft and needle given the price and the 100 night return guarantee.  However, it is also a gamble to spend 1000 bucks on a mattress that you've never tried before.  It also seem like there's only one standard option,  I tend to like my mattresses on the firmer side.  Bones: how long have you had the mattress and how firm is it?  thank you. 

I would say it's medium firm.  Not super firm.  We've had it about 9 months. 

Brentwood Home is a good local memory foam company with all the certs. You can purchase off Amazon or visit their showroom in DTLA to test them out, they give 10% off coupons plus an extended warranty if you visit.
https://www.brentwoodhome.com/

We tried Casper and it was mediocre.

bones said:

I read about Casper/Tuft and Needle on Talk irvine and fell down the mattress rabbit hole - researching all the new mattress start ups - there are tons now!! Others to look at other than Casper and Tuft and Needle - Nest Bedding, Leesa and Brooklyn Bedding's the best mattress ever (that's what its called. We ended up going with this one since it had a pretty thick latex top layer)..All of them have similar generous return policies. There are also many 'mattress blogs' that compare these mattresses.

Hey guys, I just got this $359 King Mattress on Amazon to replace my $1,200 5 yr old Sealy:https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010GO33I0/

This thing is awesome, it's firm but has gel memory foam so sleeps cool.  It's like the perfect amount of firmness and sinks-in in one.  It comes rolled up in a box (I have no idea how they do this since it has coils), and you unroll it (if you can haul it upstairs) and let it sit for 2-3 days then ready to sleep on it.

Highly recommend it for anyone who's looking for a new mattress.  I honestly think if I found this at a mattress store for $1,500 I would buy it, it's that comfortable.  I've only had it for a week so time will tell if it gets saggy or not but I think all mattress will in one form or another after a period of time. 

If you do t rally care about brand, OC Mattress had their own brand.  They have showrooms where you can try them.  I recommend the latex tops.

Back