woodbridge village center remodel, Irvine co. 30 million reinvestment

Kangen.Irvine said:
How awful does Grocery Outlet sound? I thought a Whole Foods 365 or even Trader Joe's would have done best.

Since a Trader Joes is at University Center and also on Culver/Walnut, I think that's too close.

The Grocery Outlet in Costa Mesa seems to get positive Yelp reviews.

irvinehomeowner said:
Kangen.Irvine said:
How awful does Grocery Outlet sound? I thought a Whole Foods 365 or even Trader Joe's would have done best.

Since a Trader Joes is at University Center and also on Culver/Walnut, I think that's too close.

The Grocery Outlet in Costa Mesa seems to get positive Yelp reviews.

I would classify them in the same category as food 4 less.  ;)

Visited the Grocery Outlet today at their grand opening and was, as expected, underwhelmed. The store reminds me of a smaller Smart & Final, which looks like another potential vacancy in about a year.

On a positive note, the outdoor areas are pleasant looking with a nice variety of seating arrangements. This area could be enjoyable on a cooler day since the shaded areas are limited. I?m looking forward to the Lost Bean and hopefully Sessions will up their breakfast offerings.

Kangen.Irvine said:
Visited the Grocery Outlet today at their grand opening and was, as expected, underwhelmed. The store reminds me of a smaller Smart & Final, which looks like another potential vacancy in about a year.

On a positive note, the outdoor areas are pleasant looking with a nice variety of seating arrangements. This area could be enjoyable on a cooler day since the shaded areas are limited. I?m looking forward to the Lost Bean and hopefully Sessions will up their breakfast offerings.

Such an odd choice by The Irvine Co., who has been known to lean towards higher-end establishments.  Wonder why they chose Grocery Outlet?

paydawg said:
Kangen.Irvine said:

Such an odd choice by The Irvine Co., who has been known to lean towards higher-end establishments.  Wonder why they chose Grocery Outlet?

They do what they do.

DJ plaza don't mess around. They get tenants what people like. It goes to show that a strip mall doesn't need pavers and palm trees to make it popular. (make it pop) ;)

The new plaza was really well done.  They opened up the courtyard, so now you have a spectacular view of the lake with mountains in the background.  It's really worth seeing.

Kangen.Irvine said:

Lost Bean! I need to check out this remodeled plaza. Only store I would go to back in the day there was radio shack.

wolfgreyjays said:
Only store I would go to back in the day there was radio shack.

Heh. What about Pavilions? And was it Penguin's or Heidi's frozen yogurt?

It's nice they are adding a Yogurtland but Sticky Fingers closed, that place was there forever... and Yogurtland doesn't serve Hawaiian shave ice.

irvinehomeowner said:
wolfgreyjays said:
Only store I would go to back in the day there was radio shack.

Heh. What about Pavilions? And was it Penguin's or Heidi's frozen yogurt?

It's nice they are adding a Yogurtland but Sticky Fingers closed, that place was there forever... and Yogurtland doesn't serve Hawaiian shave ice.
Sticky Fingers...Catarina's was the original. There was the pizza place with the arcade area on the 2nd floor (forget what the pizza place was called) where champagne's was (and obviously Chevy's). Heidi's was a yogurt place in Irvine, but I can't remember if that shopping center is where Heidi's actually was.  There was also a restaurant on the other side (Radio Shack side) right when you entered the shopping center (don't remember what it was though). 

I believe it was Penguin's.

The restaurant was Asian Noodle but it was a different restaurant before that. There was also Knowlwood's back in the day... and next to Radio Shack was a fabric store.

I don't remember Catarina's... or the pizza place. I know that there was comic book shop there next to the movie theater for a short while.

Also noticed that Kumon took over the spot where the Rainbow Kids hair salon was so does that mean that also closed down?

irvinehomeowner said:

The restaurant was Asian Noodle but it was a different restaurant before that. There was also Knowlwood's back in the day... and next to Radio Shack was a fabric store.

I don't remember Catarina's... or the pizza place. I know that there was comic book shop there next to the movie theater for a short while.

Also noticed that Kumon took over the spot where the Rainbow Kids hair salon was so does that mean that also closed down?
Rainbow kids is being replaced by Sharkey's Haircutting.  Catarina's is where Sticky Fingers in and was literally the exact same set-up, but just had a different name (when it was sold it was renamed).  I want to say the Pizza Place was a Northwood pizza but I'm pretty sure I am wrong. 

irvinehomeowner said:

I think Penguin's was in woodbridge and heidi's was at the UCI center. 

I was curious about this remodel so we ate at Ruby's the other day.

The plaza area is really nice and I like how you can look out over the flake.

Once the other stores open up, this could be a nice destination plaza. They should go old school and add an arcade. :)

We went to the Grocery Outlet too. Not sure why the negativity as we actually found a few things to buy and the prices are good on the brand name stuff. They don't take Amex yet but I hope they stick around as it's a nice quick place to shop for the area if people don't want to drive or have to get something after Power Core Yoga or Kumon class. They had organic milk for $2.99 which is much cheaper than my local Stater Bros in Tustin Legacy. :)

Back