More Mello Roos?

Saw this letter a while ago as IUSD parent and I think it is justified. As homeowner in older communities (DF, WB etc.) one is already enjoying very low HOA, no MR, and lower tax base thanks to prop 13. Now, if one wants schools to be modernized, you can't expect anyone else to pay but your own community for it. Even if your kids are done with IUSD, you'd see better appreciation of your home as a result of modernized school.

Do I love paying taxes? No.
Is it fair to pass the cost to beneficiary homeowners? Yes.

Cornflakes said:
Saw this letter a while ago as IUSD parent and I think it is justified. As homeowner in older communities (DF, WB etc.) one is already enjoying very low HOA, no MR, and lower tax base thanks to prop 13. Now, if one wants schools to be modernized, you can't expect anyone else to pay but your own community for it. Even if your kids are done with IUSD, you'd see better appreciation of your home as a result of modernized school.

The schools already have tons of money.  They just spend it all on salaries and pensions then say they have no money for equipment.  You're a sucker to give them more.

test said:
Cornflakes said:

The schools already have tons of money.  They just spend it all on salaries and pensions then say they have no money for equipment.  You're a sucker to give them more.
Do you have some data points to back that?

I have no visibility into pension but I did look a while ago up salaries of some of the excellent teachers at my kids school. And, they are not excessive by any means. I would presume that pension would be a smaller portion of the base salary, definitely not more than the salary.

I have lived in other counties and have experienced what their top schools offer to kids in terms of quality of education. IUSD definitely kicks butt. Better quality product does not come cheap.

I am no fan of expensive Irvine living but I am choosing to pay for better quality, just like I do for Apple products. When I will no longer need IUSD, likely I will rush out of Irvine and get large home with backyard, no HOA, no MR.

Why can't IUSD issue bonds like TUSD? Just add more bonds to the new areas and use the money to subsidize other district expenses.

iacrenter said:
Why can't IUSD issue bonds like TUSD? Just add more bonds to the new areas and use the money to subsidize other district expenses.

So, burden the new home owners with more MR = Depress the new home base prices = depress the entire Irvine home prices = existing home owners in older communities see their equity go the other way = pay for the school improvements in just more convoluted way?

There is no free lunch.

Or, private funding can help. Or asking parents to chip in.

There are a multitude of ways to help individual schools more directly rather than involve the red tape of taxing/bonds where only a portion of each dollar will go to the school.

Irvine has had multiple bond issues for schools in the past (which failed when 2/3 vote was required to pass) and  Irvine schools seem to have done ok and it hasn't hurt home prices either.

I think this only requires 50% plus one vote so much more likely to pass.

Personally I would rather spend on kid's educations (and my kids are out of school) than so many other things that the government chooses to spend our money on. Kids are ALL of OUR future. They will be responsible to take care of us when we r old and no longer work. It will be the kids of today who need high paying jobs to buy our houses and to pay taxes to support their kid's educations and the old folks care.

It's just sad to see what we pay get watered down by the time it reaches the kids themselves........ and no matter how much we spend it's never enough even though it's always....... we just need this little bit.

Cornflakes said:
iacrenter said:

So, burden the new home owners with more MR = Depress the new home base prices = depress the entire Irvine home prices = existing home owners in older communities see their equity go the other way = pay for the school improvements in just more convoluted way?

There is no free lunch.

If school bonds are placed on new home communities, prospective residents have a CHOICE to buy the home and pay the extra bond fees or buy a resale home with less MR. Dropping new bonds on existing owners suck.

Might our schools be the lowest funded schools because we already pay so much for them?  Maybe if we stop aiding them, they will get more funding?  It looks like they are funding schools by income levels.  The lower income levels, the more funding that the schools get.  The expectation is that higher income areas pay for their own schools.

BTW, the funding situation seems to be impacted by illegal immigration.  The schools receiving the most money have non english speaking kids with low income.

My home is barely within my means.  More taxes means more sacrifices that I have to make.  It's going to affect my lifestyle and I'm pretty frugal as it is for the most part.

iacrenter said:
Cornflakes said:
iacrenter said:

There is no free lunch.

If school bonds are placed on new home communities, prospective residents have a CHOICE to buy the home and pay the extra bond fees or buy a resale home with less MR. Dropping new bonds on existing owners suck.

Ok. Let's see how this plays out.

BP and EW are building 5000 homes and they are going to add bond for school improvements. Prospective home buyers of course will shy away from even higher MR. Now the builders are in pickle as the demand dropped. What will they do? Drop prices. Along comes another buyer, OMG, Brand new home much cheaper than WB home. Even with higher MR it makes sense to buy. Let's do it. Comes next buyer who is really into resale home. Makes lower offer to WB seller with justification that new homes are selling much cheaper. WB seller gets enough low offers, he finally accepts one of them. New record is set. And so on...

It's totally ok to say I don't like new taxes. It's not logical to say collect it from that new guy just moved in to make my neck of woods better. The new guys will stop coming to the town and everyone will suffer.

Cornflakes said:
iacrenter said:
Cornflakes said:
iacrenter said:

There is no free lunch.

BP and EW are building 5000 homes and they are going to add bond for school improvements. Prospective home buyers of course will shy away from even higher MR. Now the builders are in pickle as the demand dropped. What will they do? Drop prices. Along comes another buyer, OMG, Brand new home much cheaper than WB home. Even with higher MR it makes sense to buy. Let's do it. Comes next buyer who is really into resale home. Makes lower offer to WB seller with justification that new homes are selling much cheaper. WB seller gets enough low offers, he finally accepts one of them. New record is set. And so on...

It's totally ok to say I don't like new taxes. It's not logical to say collect it from that new guy just moved in to make my neck of woods better. The new guys will stop coming to the town and everyone will suffer.

I doubt that IUSD bonds alone would cause the collapse of the entire Irvine RE market. It certainly could shift purchasing patterns from new construction to resale.

Theoretically if IUSD placed district bonds on new homes, it SHOULD be done PRIOR to selling the first homes. Thus builders can price their homes according to market conditions.

Cornflakes said:

Not gonna happen.

If an economic collapse can't keep Irvine prices down, a school bond not passing will have zero effect.

Back