Interior Paint Color

DrTravel

I'm choosing the interior paint color for my new home. Thus far we have chosen Fading Fog VP-8307. Realizing that a large wall will look different than a small paint sample we are a little worried that grey tones might be too depressing over the long term. Grey tones seem to be the "hot" choice now but that might change over the future.

Time for some opinionated TIers to chime in!

Attachments

• Paint Colors.pdf
    163.5 KB · Views: 426
DrTravel said:
I'm choosing the interior paint color for my new home. Thus far we have chosen Fading Fog VP-8307. Realizing that a large wall will look different than a small paint sample we are a little worried that grey tones might be too depressing over the long term. Grey tones seem to be the "hot" choice now but that might change over the future.

It all comes down to personal preference.  If you are already concerned that gray will be too depressing, then these gut feelings usually become a self-fulfilling prophecy and you will be questioning your decision every step of the way.

Greys are the trend. We would've chosen Grey Ghost were we having IP paint; but they'll only do one color and it must be a flat finish. It's much easier to clean an eggshell finish.

Irvine Fanatic said:
Is this the color palette from IP? They have names like "Chopstick" & "Rice Bowl". Umm...

Because chinky yellow and camel jockey brown would be too racist.

Irvine Fanatic said:
Is this the color palette from IP? They have names like "Chopstick" & "Rice Bowl". Umm...

That is pretty grey. Is the flooring going to be grey toned?

Stan Pac uses Accessible Beige (on your palette list) in a number of their homes. They usually have a sheet in their models that lists upgrades and names the paint colors.

If you aren't sure, see if you can grab some discarded drywall and paint a piece of it in the colors you are considering and walk around the house with them and look at them at different times of the day.

I wouldn't bother with "hot colors". I would pick what YOU like because YOU are going to live in it for a long time, day and night and when it's time to resell you might either need to repaint or find buyers don't want grey.

For me....... accessible beige was too grey (I do NOT like grey but I need some grey tone in the paint because my kitchen granite is White Ice which has grey in it.

We have white cabinets, white wainscot and wanted some color on the walls. We're in the process of painting Benjamin Moore Cedar Key which is more tan than grey but does have some grey tone in it. Makes the baseboards and crown molding pop and makes my shutters look great.

If you like grey, go grey. It's always easy to repaint in the future.

We've gone through a few different colors in the many houses we've lived in.

Our first was a sage/grey/brown type, looked greenish in the dark, brownish during the day.

Then we moved to just beige-ish.

Then we moved back to a greenish tone.

Now we are back to beige. Tried grey in the kitchen and I liked it but she didn't so repainted.

agree. pick what *you* like. you're going to be living with it day in and day out. Unless you're planning to flip within the next year or two, by the time you go to sell, the trend in paint colors will have changed and your prospective buyers will probably want to redo it anyway.

Greys are so tricky.  Unless you use a dark / charcoal like grey, it seems like most of the light greys will come out with either a tint of blue or a tint of green (neither of which look too nice). 

My 2 favorite beige colors (and I've tried a lot) are:
1) Wheat Bread (Behr - Home Depot), this is a light beige but very nice toneshttp://www.behr.com/consumer/colors/test/720C-3

2) Steveareno Beige (Dunn Edwards), this is a darker beige but I really like ithttps://www.dunnedwards.com/colors/browser/dec766

Mixing either of these with a dark grey accent wall looks nice.

And yes, always use Satin Enamel (between Eggshell and Semi-Gloss) for the most durable finish, especially if you have kids.

aquabliss said:
Greys are so tricky.  Unless you use a dark / charcoal like grey, it seems like most of the light greys will come out with either a tint of blue or a tint of green (neither of which look too nice). 

This is absolutely true. It's probably why most people default to a taupe color that is a chameleon between grey and beige.

Irvine Fanatic said:

Seriously?....lol. IP is toying with the Asians. Selling mass produced stucco boxes and laughing all the way to the bank.

"Hello FCB...lets paint your house Rice Bowl. It's very fitting don't you think?"

Irvine or Bust said:
Irvine Fanatic said:

Seriously?....lol. IP is toying with the Asians. Selling mass produced stucco boxes and laughing all the way to the bank.

"Hello FCB...lets paint your house Rice Bowl. It's very fitting don't you think?"

They forgot the color dumpling and 888.

aquabliss said:

That's true, there will always be a choice between a green or blue undertone.

There is one light gray I love which is a perfect halfway point between beige and gray. "Sharkey Gray" by Martha Stewart. Right after I painted one of my bathrooms in this color, and was planning to continue into other rooms, the paint line was discontinued. However, Home Depot still had the formula in their computer and they were able to blend the pigment into Behr base. That was a few years ago. I'm not sure if they still have it because I read online that some stores deleted the M.S. paint formulas.

Have you asked to see some pictures of grey walls in their albums of models?  They may not have your current choice, but at least you might get a sense of how the greys look with their interiors.  We went with a beige tone which may not be fashionable anymore, but our palette is warm so grey would not have worked.  We have since painted over the color in 4 rooms, but no regrets because the hallways and entry would be terrible to do ourselves. We used Cochise, and as a reference, here is how it looks on the walls compared to the swatch in your file. 

DrTravel said:

Attachments

• IMG_2804.jpg
    IMG_2804.jpg
    345.7 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_2901.jpg
    IMG_2901.jpg
    328.8 KB · Views: 276
aquabliss said:

My 2 favorite beige colors (and I've tried a lot) are:
1) Wheat Bread (Behr - Home Depot), this is a light beige but very nice toneshttp://www.behr.com/consumer/colors/test/720C-3

2) Steveareno Beige (Dunn Edwards), this is a darker beige but I really like ithttps://www.dunnedwards.com/colors/browser/dec766

Mixing either of these with a dark grey accent wall looks nice.

And yes, always use Satin Enamel (between Eggshell and Semi-Gloss) for the most durable finish, especially if you have kids.

So, I was looking for a new wall color for one of my rooms which faces south-west and gets a lot of natural light. If I liked it enough, I would consider it as a potential color for my entire living room, hall, etc. etc. I took the suggestion about Behr's Wheat Bread from above. I Googled it first to get additional images. I was a little concerned it would look too pink as it did in some people's online photos and in their own commentary. My goal was to find a perfect "greige". Surprisingly, as I Googled for a perfect greige, Wheat Bread is one that came up. I went to Home Depot and got 3 different samples, including one specifically called greige.. Stone Harbor Greige, to be exact . I already had 3 other samples on the walls from a different paint line. Out of all 6 samples, I liked Wheat Bread the best. I proceeded with that color for the room. I just checked it this morning and I am absolutely in love with it! I am REALLY digging this paint color. In my opinion, it is a perfect greige. It is grey without being cold. It is beige without the orangey undertones. I am glad I test drove it in a smaller area. Now I would feel comfortable taking it to bigger spaces such as my living room. So, thanks, Aquabliss for your mentioning it.

Here is a list of Behr's sheens. It looks like they've added another one since the last time I made a purchase:

Flat
Matte
Eggshell
Satin
Semi-Gloss
Hi-Gloss

DrTravel said:

I just looked at the image. Here are some tips I would encourage you to try. I find this really helpful when selecting paint colors:

* Turn the card upside down so that you can not read the writing. Paint color names influence the way we think about the colors. I like to view them free from any influence and not say yes or no to a paint color because I'm being swayed by the descriptive name. You may be surprised you like a color with a name that normally wouldn't be on your short list.

* Rather than choosing a color, "unchoose" a color. There are way too many selections these days that it's easy to get paralyzed by indecision. Go with the process of elimination. Start crossing out or ignoring the colors you don't like. Start with the ones you like the least. That makes it faster and easier. Soon, you'll be left with just a couple you really like.

I hope this helps!

Also keep in mind that the way you see the color depends on the light source that illuminates the surface. This can make a HUGE difference.

SoCal said:
I am glad I test drove it in a smaller area. Now I would feel comfortable taking it to bigger spaces such as my living room. So, thanks, Aquabliss for your mentioning it.

No problemo.  It's funny I didn't see it as a greige much but looking at it again I do see subtle grey undertones.

We have Wheat Bread Satin finish in our entire downstairs and haven't gotten tired of it yet.  It is lighter than most greiges but not so light that it looks peachy which is good. 

Back