Irvine Co. forces closure of a Marie Callender's in Irvine

WTTCHMN

Irvine Co. forces closure of a Marie Callender's in Irvine

Dec. 31, 2015 Updated Jan. 2, 2016 1:40 p.m.

After 15 years in operation, a Marie Callender?s in Irvine was forced to close after its landlord, the Irvine Co., did not renew its lease.

?While we had hoped to continue operating this location, the landlord did not wish to renew our lease extension,? spokeswoman Vivian Brooks told the Register.

The restaurant, at 15363 Culver Drive, closed Monday. She said the company thanked its Irvine staff for ?their contributions and our goal is to employ them at other Marie Callender?s locations in the area.?

?To our loyal guests, we are thankful for their patronage and hope to have the opportunity to serve them at Marie Callender?s restaurants that may be near their home or workplace,? she added.

Irvine Co. officials could not be reached for a comment.

Removing the family-casual chain from its portfolio is in line with the Irvine Co.?s post-recession leasing strategy.

Last year, the same thing happened to El Cholo Mexican restaurant. It closed after a 15-year run on Alton Parkway in Irvine because it couldn?t renew its lease with the Irvine Co. It was replaced by a revamped version of California Pizza Kitchen.

Over the last five years, the Newport Beach developer and landlord has replaced old-school restaurant brands with chef-driven and independent chains and bistros.

?Our Orange County customer is asking for unique, one-of-a-kind type concepts,? Dan Sheridan, an Irvine Co. executive, told the Register in 2012. Sheridan left the company in 2014.

Modern, chef-driven restaurants that have entered its retail centers include Cucina Enoteca, Red O by Rick Bayless, Babette?s, Le Pain Quotidien and Del Frisco?s Grille.

Irvine Co. also is betting big on premium fast-casual restaurants such as Lemonade, Pieology, Tender Greens and TLT Food ? new concepts that appeal to Generation Y foodies.

Still, some bets haven?t worked. Lark Creek Newport Beach at Fashion Island closed earlier last year. The farm-to-table restaurant took over the old Daily Grill space two years ago and was part of the Lark Creek Restaurant Group.

The Marie Callender?s in Irvine is in the same shopping center as 99 Ranch Market and Outback Steakhouse.

Contact the writer: nluna@ocregister.com

Buca was doing real well...crowded night after night.  Then it turned into Taps.

Isn't lease renewal usually death knell time for any restaurant in a TIC property?  I was under the impression they substantially cut any profit margin you've got since they know your revenue numbers.

At least TIC isn't trying to keep Irvine white.  Money knows no race.  If that ding dong restaurant can pay more rent..then so be it.

Dongpo?  I was watching Bloodsport the other day with van damme and the big Asian dude I believe is tongpo.

Times they are a changing. 

So when is Popeyes coming to Irvine?  ;)

The California Court Company said:
TIC bending over for more Chinese restaurants as Irvine's demographic shifts. maybe in 10 years Irvine street names will be in both English and Chinese
http://www.ocweekly.com/restaurants...closed-to-make-way-for-meizhou-dongpo-6883608

The problem with replacing traditional God fearing American comfort food with trendy PRC fare is it may attract customers like this:http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-chinese-bullying-20160108-story.html

ps9 said:
Looks like Meizhou is open, got a TIC email.  Anyone try it?

My co-workers were there last week for lunch.  No lunch specials, four dishes came out to 100.00.  They said the menu is like a phone book.  Overall, a really high end Chinese restaurant.

Back