Poll: Source of down payments

What is the source of your down payment?

• Our own hard-earned savings

Votes: 29 85.3%
  • Equity from a previous home sale (AZDave answer)

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • Gift from relatives (FCB?)

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • Stock/investment profits

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Other

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters

irvinehomeowner

I came across an old Kpop Poll of mine that asked how much of a down payment you (or someone you know) used or are going to use (http://www.talkirvine.com/index.php?topic=1099.0).

The majority was 20% or more... so if you can share... where did that moolah come from?

For us, it's all our own money... there was some equity gains but our first home was only 5% down and eventually we were able to put 20% down in our subsequent homes(s).

Next time around... we will go back to a low down... I'm not an FCB baller.

Two sources for me. Saving the old fashioned way plus "equity" from sale of previous home. I put equity in quotes because even though I got an okay check at closing, once I factor in how much I spent putting into the plaec doing upgrades and repairs, I can't say it got me way ahead of the game.

As expected... this scientifically accurate poll says it's from savings.

Is that indicative of the area? Would the numbers be different elsewhere?

Very interesting (although of course... anecdotal).

I'll have three sources of where my downpayment will be coming from....proceeds from the sale of my Irvine condo, savings, and stock market trading profits. 

My friend's grandfather passed away recently and he left her as much money as it took me about five years to acquire through a budget. His intended use for her was as a down on a house. She is an only child and received more than one inheritance in recent years as a result. The accumulated amount will be going towards a home. It's funny because she's a compulsive shopper with bad credit and now overnight, she's able to buy a house (okay, maybe not until the credit clears up, but you know what I mean.)

As the saying goes:

It's best to be: the first child, the second spouse, and the third Realtor.  :D

Back