Author Topic: Video Games  (Read 9088 times)

Offline peppy

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 10
  • -Received: 62
Re: Video Games
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2016, 09:00:47 AM »
But at $450+ for 8/16-bit games... woof.

It's quote a hefty fee, but it's a really well designed, solid machine. I love retro games, and playing them in HD is like a dream come true.

The price of the system is not much when you look at the price of some NES games today! They are so expensive now! :/

https://retropie.org.uk/

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 1862
  • -Received: 3311
  • 3CWG
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2016, 09:22:49 AM »
But can't you play many of those games on emulators?

Hook up your PC to a big screen and game away.

Edit: Didn't see peppy's post.
Once you go 3-car garage... your junk can never go back.
3CWG: 3-Car Wide Garage
FCB: Foreign Cash Buyer
I recommend:
www.irvinerealtorsite.com
www.loansbyjw.com

Offline Laguna21

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 11
  • -Received: 10
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2016, 01:27:20 PM »
But can't you play many of those games on emulators?

Hook up your PC to a big screen and game away.

Edit: Didn't see peppy's post.

That you can! I have open emu for Mac which is fantastic and emulates almost every console released, but also love playing on the Television - it's why the NT sold so well, still a market for it out there for people who love playing their original retro NES Games.

Offline Laguna21

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2016, 01:39:47 PM »
This pic isn't the greatest, but here are 2 raspberry pi emulators inside gameboy shells, you can see the smaller one is super tiny next to the GBA game for scaling reference ;)

A lot of hobbyists are getting into making these portables now all over IG

So still play a lot of games via emulators

« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 01:44:50 PM by Laguna21 »

Offline peppy

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2016, 03:13:03 PM »
This pic isn't the greatest, but here are 2 raspberry pi emulators inside gameboy shells, you can see the smaller one is super tiny next to the GBA game for scaling reference ;)

If you (or your kids) are into electronics, I would suggest tackling the PiGRRL as a project.

https://www.adafruit.com/product/3014

Offline Laguna21

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2016, 09:49:48 AM »

If you (or your kids) are into electronics, I would suggest tackling the PiGRRL as a project.

https://www.adafruit.com/product/3014

that looks like a very cool project! I'm not very good at those things, I had one guy design those customs for me from IG - the biggest thing I have ever done was re-shell a Gameboy Advance SP, and that was super difficult for me. Very tedious work! But that looks like a great project for someone into this stuff.

Offline ps9

• Thanks
  • -Given: 462
  • -Received: 1189
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2016, 10:07:31 AM »
How long does this expensive nostalgic time warp last?  Do you play daily?  I don't mind a quick trip down memory lane with some YouTube videos, but spending that much for games I have zero interest anymore doesn't make sense.  I rather cherish the good memories :)

Offline peppy

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2016, 10:36:17 AM »
How long does this expensive nostalgic time warp last?  Do you play daily?  I don't mind a quick trip down memory lane with some YouTube videos, but spending that much for games I have zero interest anymore doesn't make sense.  I rather cherish the good memories :)

Leave those memories unspoiled by not revisiting old games.

Offline Laguna21

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2016, 09:39:25 AM »

You could be in the minority on that one, but it all depends on your age :)

I happen to be in the age bracket where a lot of us who enjoyed NES, SNES and Genesis and PlayStation games back in our childhood are revisiting them again via these handhelds. It really is all the rage right now, just go to IG and you'll see.

I've also been a huge gamer my entire life, and work in the industry, so that might be it too ;)

I think if anything games around the NES, SNES, and Genesis era have aged very well. PlayStation games on the other hand have not. So I tend to revisit the old 2D classics.

To each their own! I think a lot of gaming now is very overrated, and a lot less creativity goes into big budget games, slinging the same clones repeatedly gets dull. I can only tolerate so many COD's, and other similar clones repeatedly recycled over and over.

Even SW battlefront, as beautiful as it was, was a major disappointment.

As far as time spent, b/c I work in the industry, not much but time divided, probably 40% retro, 60% new games, but only the superb new ones like The Witness, Gone Home, and really good games. None of the clone garbage.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 09:46:57 AM by Laguna21 »

Offline eyephone

• Thanks
  • -Given: 196
  • -Received: 463
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2017, 08:23:40 PM »
I just picked up a new Super Nintendo Classic Edition. I hear it’s so hard to get one. (Very hot, maybe the hottest thing during the holidays)
 ;)

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters

Related Links

Recent Posts

Re: Los Olivos Village by lnc
[Today at 11:06:26 AM]

Re: Pay your 2nd half property taxes this month for tax savings (Congress tax plan) by OCLuvr
[Today at 11:04:13 AM]

Los Olivos Village by lnc
[Today at 11:03:13 AM]

Re: President Trump by fortune11
[Today at 08:27:34 AM]

Re: Tax Bill: by qwerty
[Today at 06:29:10 AM]