Families Flee Porter Ranch Over Gas Leak

WTTCHMN

Sounds worse than a toxic plume.  No wonder PatStar wants to return to the Great Park.

More Families Flee Porter Ranch Homes Over Potentially Noxious Gas Leak

November 27, 2015 10:17 PM

PORTER RANCH (CBSLA.com) ?  The number of families leaving Porter Ranch following a gas leak ? that residents say could be making them sick ? continues to rise.

Residents have complained about the air quality for about a month.

KCAL9?s Tom Wait on Friday spoke to some families who have been relocated to hotels while the gas company tries to stop the leak.

George and Susan Chang are doing the familiar post-Thanksgiving ritual ? heating up delicious leftovers.

But the ritual is different this year  because the Changs are in a hotel room. They essentially evacuated their home in Porter Ranch blaming the gas leak.

?I would never have imagined that we would have to move out because the quality of the air was so toxic and poisoned,? said Susan Gorman-Chang.

?You wouldn?t have believed it. I never would have thought such a thing would have happened, but here we are,? said George.

The Changs are like thousands of Porter Ranch residents who live close to the Aliso Canyon natural gas well.

Back on October 23,  a leak was discovered underground. Since that time, a massive amount of methane has spewed from the broken pipe casing. Along with it, chemicals inside the natural gas that allows us to smell it ? the same chemicals the LA county health department says can cause short-term headaches, breathing issues and nausea.

Health officials last week issued a directive to the gas company to pay for families to relocate. So far, Wait reports, more than 170 families have taken the offer.

?That stuff is in my carpets. It?s in the furniture. It?s in the house getting recirculated,? says resident Matt Pakucko. He also moved out of his home. He?s with the group Save Porter Ranch ? a watchdog organization that says the well is too dangerous to be near homes.

?It?s over for that place. We need to shut it down,? Pakucko said.

The Gas company says they do not have a timeline for when the well will be fixed and the lack of knowing is a massive disruption to many households.

?We don?t know what we?re going to do for Christmas, so yeah, just a lot of unknowns,? said Susan.

Wait also spoke with several other families off camera who also told him they have moved out of their homes ?  none of them know when they will go back.

I chatted with my buddy from Porter Ranch.. who just had a baby.

Hey you smelling that gas leak up there?

Yeah I can smell it from time to time.

That was about it... not sure if people are fleeing.. maybe not even taking it seriously?

I know couple that have fled, bad when the wind blows.
Drilling to cap off the leaky pipe.

I lived in Porter Ranch for 12 years.  Half of the Porter Ranch is zoned to Granada Hills Chartered High School that is 9/10 and one of the highest ranked. Travis Kalanick (Uber Founder) graduated during my time at the HS.

The other HS (Chatsworth HS - 5/10) is zoned to the new developments that PatStar mentioned and they are not too good.  However, the new K-8 PR Community school is a walking distance and is excellent.  So if you are sending your kids to K-8, the new development area is great.  You can smell the gas leak from the new development area to the north.  The older Porter Ranch community is ok.

Porter Ranch Pros/Cons:
Pros
1.  Guard Gated Communities
2.  Common Areas and Landscaping is maintained very well (similar to Irvine)
3.  No Mello Roos
4.  Schools - Good K-8 (Porter Ranch Community School - New Dev.) and Granada Hills HS (Half of the community in the Older Dev.)
5.  25 miles to Metro LA (Koreatown, Downtown, etc.)
6.  A lot of trails/canyon for hiking

Cons
1.  60-80 mph sustained Santa Ana wind during late fall to winter - Need to walk few blocks to pick up your trash can that flew away.  I had to replace my cheap garage door twice due to the bending from the wind.  Got the Platinum door (Thickest) and that did the trick.
3.  100+ super heat during summer
4.  Socal Gas close by (wasn't a problem until now)
5.  Wind, wind, wind, wind, wind. Bad hair day every day
6.  Coyotes and sometime NA Black Bear

Pro/Con - Not too many Chinese.  More Koreans, Persians, Whites
Also, you don't smell the trash at Porter Ranch from the LF.  You might smell it from the hills in the Granada Hills area.

Goriot said:
I lived in Porter Ranch for 12 years.  Half of the Porter Ranch is zoned to Granada Hills Chartered High School that is 9/10 and one of the highest ranked. Travis Kalanick (Uber Founder) graduated during my time at the HS.

The other HS (Chatsworth HS - 5/10) is zoned to the new developments that PatStar mentioned and they are not too good.  However, the new K-8 PR Community school is a walking distance and is excellent.  So if you are sending your kids to K-8, the new development area is great.  You can smell the gas leak from the new development area to the north.  The older Porter Ranch community is ok.

Porter Ranch Pros/Cons:
Pros
1.  Guard Gated Communities
2.  Common Areas and Landscaping is maintained very well (similar to Irvine)
3.  No Mello Roos
4.  Schools - Good K-8 (Porter Ranch Community School - New Dev.) and Granada Hills HS (Half of the community in the Older Dev.)
5.  25 miles to Metro LA (Koreatown, Downtown, etc.)
6.  A lot of trails/canyon for hiking

Cons
1.  60-80 mph sustained Santa Ana wind during late fall to winter - Need to walk few blocks to pick up your trash can that flew away.  I had to replace my cheap garage door twice due to the bending from the wind.  Got the Platinum door (Thickest) and that did the trick.
3.  100+ super heat during summer
4.  Socal Gas close by (wasn't a problem until now)
5.  Wind, wind, wind, wind, wind. Bad hair day every day
6.  Coyotes and sometime NA Black Bear

Pro/Con - Not too many Chinese.  More Koreans, Persians, Whites
Also, you don't smell the trash at Porter Ranch from the LF.  You might smell it from the hills in the Granada Hills area.

Gee, 60 mph wind, 100 degree heat, gas leak you can smell and landfill you can't.  FCB's are rich, not stupid.

eyephone said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Maybe it's just too many backyard Korean BBQs for PatStar.

@Patstar - I hope your taking advantage of the $250 a night hotel reimbursement and food.

According to the article more than 130 families relocated.
http://ktla.com/2015/11/27/more-than-130-families-relocated-after-methane-leak-near-porter-ranch/

Pat - Since you were boosting about Porter Ranch, I would like to point out the assigned high school is a 5.

Eric Brockovich is involved.  They are getting about 8K-10K a month to relocate. 

jmoney74 said:
eyephone said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Maybe it's just too many backyard Korean BBQs for PatStar.

@Patstar - I hope your taking advantage of the $250 a night hotel reimbursement and food.

According to the article more than 130 families relocated.
http://ktla.com/2015/11/27/more-than-130-families-relocated-after-methane-leak-near-porter-ranch/

Pat - Since you were boosting about Porter Ranch, I would like to point out the assigned high school is a 5.

Eric Brockovich is involved.  They are getting about 8K-10K a month to relocate.

Temporary FAA flight restriction over Porter Ranch.
http://abc7.com/news/porter-ranch-gas-leak-prompts-faa-flight-restriction/1119076/

LAUSD votes to relocate Porter Ranch students http://abc7.com/news/lausd-votes-to-relocate-porter-ranch-students-affected-by-gas-leak/1126290/

#SoundsSerious

Back