9-year-old dies after being struck by van in Cypress Village

WTTCHMN

Was this the intersection Zero Lot was always complaining about?  Not the same lady, though, as this perpetrator was male.

9-year-old dies after being struck by van in Irvine
Nov. 20, 2015 Updated 7:27 p.m.

By LOUIS CASIANO Jr. / STAFF WRITER

A 9-year-old Irvine boy died Friday after he was struck by a van while riding a bicycle, police said.

At 3:05 p.m., the boy was on his bicycle at Roosevelt and Bay Tree in Irvine when the van hit him, Irvine police spokeswoman Farrah Emami said. Orange County Fire Authority paramedics took him to a hospital, where he died at around 3:35 p.m.

The 57-year-old male driver of the van remained at the scene. Investigators are still trying to determine whether alcohol, drugs or speed were factors in the collision, Emami said.

Authorities have not released the boy?s name, pending the notification of his family. Investigators believe the boy was wearing a helmet.

The intersection was partially closed for the investigation, and was opened only so that residents could get to their homes.

Anyone with information about what happened is asked to contact the Irvine Police Department at 949-724-7023.

Contact the writer: 714-796-2478 or lcasiano@ocregister.com

Looks like a major intersection within CV.  Poor kid, poor family.  Could be 100% drivers fault, but please please review bike safety with your kids.  I've seen my share of kids with poor bike safety skills in my neighborhood.  9 too young to ride to school?  Apparently so in this scenario.

I've had kids on my street dart out on their bikes in front of my car.  Parked cars block the view.  Fortunately I've been pretty careful, but I could imagine someone else easily plowing into those kids by accident.

This was the second child hit by a car in the Woodbury-Cypress area in the last couple of months. There are so many children riding their bikes and skateboarding to school. My son rides his bike to Jeffrey and always complains about drivers not stopping at stop signs just slowing down and coasting through them. I actually saw a driver get very upset when a student driver in front of them came to a complete stop at a stop sign in Stonegate. It will continue happening as the population grows in Irvine.

So sorry for the family regardless of the fault.  I can not imagine the pain of losing a child, especially a perfectly healthy one in a freak accident.

If anything like this ever happened to my kids it would be hard not to blame myself and keep thinking "if only..."

I think this area is zoned 25 MPH......and if the boy was wearing a helmet, how fast was the car going to hit the child to the point where he sustained fatal injuries?

CANOC said:
I think this area is zoned 25 MPH......and if the boy was wearing a helmet, how fast was the car going to hit the child to the point where he sustained fatal injuries?

25 mph is plenty of speed to cause fatalities to bikers and pedestrians.  Not sure how I would react if it were my child.  Prayers to the boy's family.

Even going 15 mph could cause fatal injuries. You are assuming he got knocked off his bike and that was it, but who knows? The car could have run him over causing crushing injuries or a major artery could have been torn open resulting in quick massive blood loss.

Prayers to the family and his friends.

The speed limit is actually more than 25 mph for that section of Roosevelt and that intersection actually has traffic lights instead of 4 way stop.  Wonder how the tragic accident happened at an intersection with traffic light.

My thoughts and pray goes to the victim families and friends.

At night some people blow through the stop signs even with families present walking around the park.

Why not have speed bumps put in?  Seems logical with so many kids in the community. 

I cant imagine the city of Irvine would be appose to speed bumps.  Maybe im missing something but the pros would outweigh the cons to a community like Cypress Village.

Cost cannot be a factor.

Chloros said:
At night some people blow through the stop signs even with families present walking around the park.

Why not have speed bumps put in?  Seems logical with so many kids in the community.

This might be true, but this was at a traffic signal, not a speed bump.

9-year-old is just too young to ride bike to cross a big intersection alone. Better safe than sorry. It reminds me of a tragedy that I saw many years ago. Thoughts & prayers go to the family & friends.

Heartbreaking news. When orchard hills school gets out there are about 100+ kids on bicycles that ride on the street down  culver with a ton of cars cutting in from all directions. It's chaotic and dangerous. It freaks me out, one day I wouldn't be surprised if someone gets hurt.
Prayers to the family that lost this child, I can't imagine

Next door post says he was the last one out of the group to cross so how did the driver miss the group? So sad. As a parent, this one hurts. Vigil tomorrow at 5pm at the intersection.

paydawg said:
Chloros said:

This might be true, but this was at a traffic signal, not a speed bump.

This might be true but this was not a major street and within a stones throw from the school.  Why even have a traffic signal within this community?  Is it because Irvine stuck 4 apartment complexes on this street?  I was also referring to adding speed bumps around the school which was my suggestion from the get go.

I can see Culver and Portola being dangerous but cmon....this is inside the community.

Back