Turkey 2015

ps99472

Gonna smoke a turkey this year with the komodo.  Anyone tried that before?  I'm thinking of starting around 6am Thurs am and go slow and low for about 6-7 hours.  Gonna have to brine it prior so it won't dry out so much from the long cooking time.  So do you turkey yourself or just supermarket deli buy?

Never did the deep fry before.  What kind of oil do you use?  Would this be in garage or backyard?

Eyephone, your hickory smoked ham sounds good. Do they sell butt-portion?

My kids also want ham this year instead of turkey. Otherwise, replace the word "daughter" with "son" and you get my situation.

12241791_1010910275596651_3430424349054222457_n.jpg

exps46961_TH1789926D22A.jpg

I just made these homemade cherry danishes. WOW. They are amazing. Definitely the best danishes I've EVER had! My kitchen looks and smells like a Bavarian bakery. Just thought I would share in case anyone is looking for a dessert or breakfast recipe for Thanksgiving through Christmas. It would be great for when you have company over. Since it utilizes the cold-rise method, it is broken down into manageable, time-saving stages. I halved the recipe since it makes a lot.
http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/overnight-cherry-danish

qwerty said:
KFC is selling fried turkeys for $50 or $70-80 with sides
It's actually $59.99 for just the turkey, $79.99 with the sides.

We are going to try it and will report back. The Irvine KFC was sold out.

I will be going to Poquet Donut to get my $9.99 taped on the door.

Is the KFC fried turkey with the original secret 11 herbs and spices or with different seasoning that's just for the turkey?

fumbling said:
Is the KFC fried turkey with the original secret 11 herbs and spices or with different seasoning that's just for the turkey?

I haven't seen the ad and can't find it online, however, I highly doubt it. With the extra time needed to fry a turkey, the dried herbs would burn.

fumbling said:
No. It's injected with some Cajun "sauce".

We did ours with Cajun butter so hopefully it's the same.

Thumbs up to KFC.

We split our TGs into Wed and Thurs and we had the first one last night. If it wasn't good, we would cancel the 2nd one today but it was probably better than the ones we fry ourselves.

Skin was crispier and everyone said how good it was.

When you figure the $30-40 for the peanut oil, the $5-10 for the Cajun butter and then all the prep time, frying time and clean-up time, $59.99 is a no-brainer.

Looks like we are doing KFC every year.

#ThanksColonel

Good to know, think my BIL also ordered a KFC fried turkey, it's gonna be a throw down with my brined hickory smoked turkey.  I'm also thinking of just getting Boston market next year.  Rotisserie turkey is pretty good.  And if you see any Boston market gift cards during the year you can save up for turkey day.

Back