Asian woman driving wrong way on 405

WTTCHMN

Woman dies after crash while driving the wrong way on I-405 freeway in Irvine

Nov. 10, 2015 Updated 7:33 a.m.

By ALYSSA DURANTY / STAFF WRITER

IRVINE ? A 54-year-old woman died early Tuesday morning after she collided head-on with a car as she was driving the wrong way on a freeway in Irvine, officials said.

Rieko Toyama of Gardena was driving southbound shortly before 1:20 a.m. in the carpool lane on the northbound I-405 when she collided with a 2014 BMW near Harvard Avenue, according to the California Highway Patrol.

Officials said the crash caused the white 2010 Nissan Toyama was driving to flip and she partially fell out of the car. She was not wearing a seat belt and died at the scene, officials said.

Hassan Kadri, a 29-year-old Westminster man, was driving the black 2014 BMW. He and Sabina Teodorescu, his 29-year-old passenger from Fountain Valley, were taken to UCI Medical Center in Orange with major injuries.

After the initial collision, Isabelo and Zoima Millanar, a Westminster couple in their 70s, were driving in a gray 2008 Mercedes-Benz and crashed into the white Nissan after it had flipped.

The couple was taken to Orange County Global Medical Center in Santa Ana with minor injuries.

It was unclear how long Toyama was driving the wrong way on the freeway before the crash, said CHP Officer Florentino Olivera.

Officials did not immediately know if alcohol or drugs played a factor in the collision.

All lanes on the freeway were reopened to traffic before the morning commute, according to the online CHP log.

Wow, that's nuts. I was expecting this to say she was elderly and perhaps senile. But she's only 54? Must've been boozed up. There's that old saying that "nothing good happens after midnight". I hope the people she slammed into will pull through.

aquabliss said:
What the heck is a Nissan Toyama???

Toyama is the woman's name.  I thought the same thing too and had to read that sentence twice. 
the crash caused the white 2010 Nissan Toyama was driving to flip and she partially fell out of the car.

lnc said:
aquabliss said:
What the heck is a Nissan Toyama???

Toyama is the woman's name.  I thought the same thing too and had to read that sentence twice. 
the crash caused the white 2010 Nissan Toyama was driving to flip and she partially fell out of the car.

Ohhhhhh ya makes sense now.  Thought it was some crazy Japanese import (the car not the woman).

Sort of funny how the writer makes it a point to call out the year of the car(s) involved.  It almost reads like a used car ad. 

Our freeway exits have signs that say "Do Not Enter" and "Wrong Way" in large, red and white lettering along with a "One Way" arrow pointing towards the exit. If she was just doing "what's normal in Japan" by driving on our wrong side of the road AND couldn't comprehend any of the signage, then she would've had to have been driving without a license.

Thanks buddy me n my friend we both pulled thru, it's so weird to be the victim you always think it won't happen to me. Oh well I was in hospital for 4 months I am out not still recovering.
I know this post is old but I am just getting to it.
To answer few of your questions
1. Her autopsy report showed are ethanol level was 0.19
2. Witnesses saw her slowly down and in far right lane the initiating a U-turn ending up in carpool lane and collided with my car
If you guys are curious or have any questions feel free to ask

HKadri, we just glad you and your friend are ok.  That's must be some serious impact, 4 month in the hospital, yikes.

Hope you and your friend continue to recover well and thank you for sharing your ordeal.

Hkadri said:
Thanks buddy me n my friend we both pulled thru, it's so weird to be the victim you always think it won't happen to me. Oh well I was in hospital for 4 months I am out not still recovering.
2. Witnesses saw her slowly down and in far right lane the initiating a U-turn ending up in carpool lane and collided with my car

Glad to hear an update and know that you are doing okay. Nice to see the victims pull through for a change since in most drunk driving accidents the innocent always don't make it while the drunk driver walks away. Hope in time you will get back to 100% of your pre-accident functionality

HKadri, wishing you and your passenger,  full recovery and good health.  Sorry to hear that it happened to you,
4 months in hospital is not easy. 

Hkadri said:

Hassan!!! Oh, my gosh. I am glad you and Sabina are okay! It's amazing to see your post here today. Thank God you guys are alive. Now that your bodies are healed, I pray you and Sabina will recover from the emotional trauma of the accident. Thank you so much for finding T.I. and providing us with an update -- I have thought of you guys several times since this happened.

Thank you so much everyone. You're concern means a lot. With the unfortunate event finally in the past, it has left most of us still with significant bills due to the fact that Toyama was under the influence and did not have insurance.
Please read my story and pass it around. I'm a Air Force veteran and the VA is refusing to pay my medical bills. Please share my story!
Thank you!
Sabina Teodorescu
https://www.gofundme.com/SabinasMedicalBills

Back