Coyote responsible for three Irvine attacks euthanized, police said

WTTCHMN

Coyote responsible for three Irvine attacks euthanized, police said

Nov. 4, 2015 Updated 8:49 p.m.
By IDA MOJADAD / STAFF WRITER

Irvine?s coyote attack problem could be nearing an end after authorities eliminated the main culprit, police announced Wednesday.

California Department of Fish and Wildlife trapped and euthanized a coyote last week that they said was responsible for three of five biting incidents in Irvine?s Portola Springs area since May. Saliva and tissue samples matched the samples of coyotes that were taken from the victims, according to spokeswoman Janice Mackey.

The coyote was cleared of rabies, she added.

The coyote attacks started when one bit a 3-year-old girl on the neck as she was walking with her parents near the intersection of Equinox and Silverado near Silverado Park, according to Fish and Wildlife officials.

This prompted officials to euthanize nine other coyotes, but Mackey said samples from the other victims weren?t viable enough to connect to the coyotes that were killed.

?It?s a challenging issue because we want to address this in the most humane way possible,? Irvine Police Department spokeswoman Farrah Emami said of the attacks. ?It?s resulted in a lot of fear and concern in the community.?

The attack on the 3-year-old set the neighborhood on edge, prompting community meetings and public outreach to deter coyotes. In September, Irvine police started ?high-intensity hazing? by shooting paintballs at coyotes to scare them away from the area.

Emami said police informed the victims that their attacker had been put down.

While Mackey said she now expects a drop in biting occurences, northeast Irvine residents living near coyote habitats should keep pet food and trash secure while keeping an eye on small children.

?Coyotes are wild animals that seek out food, shelter and water,? Mackey said. ?As long as attractants are left out for them, they will frequent neighborhoods.?

Contact the writer: 714-796-7949 or imojadad@ocregister.com

My daughter's dog was attacked by a coyote in their Arizona backyard tonight and died. My daughter let her out thru the doggie door this evening to do her biz not knowing there was a coyote in their yard. She wasn't even a small dog but no match for the coyote.

Be careful out there...... maybe don't leave your doggie doors open cuz u never know if a coyote might use it to get into your house.

My 5 year old grandson is understandably pretty traumatized over this.

When I lived in Irvine and where I live now, I always turn on the lights and go out first to take a quick look to make sure there are no coyotes, raccoons, possums etc. every single night. No exceptions. Sorry to hear about the pup.

How did the coyote got into the back yard?  Is the back yard not enclosed?

That just sucks, very sorry to hear about your daughter's dog R2D. 

Looking at her house on google maps, I see there is a large trash can (like the ones we have here) right in front of their fence. I'll bet it could easily get on that trash can and scamper over the top of the fence.

My daughter is torn up over it. They had two dogs they got as shelter dogs nearly 10 years ago and this was "her" dog, the quieter and calmer of the two. She had been sick (just finished a course of antibiotics) and lost a lot of weight so she was already compromised but apparently she was on the mend. She feels like it was "her fault" because she was home and let the dog out.

I'm pretty darn thankful it wasn't my 5 year old grandson out there. He did sometimes go outside to play by himself in the backyard..... no more.

You just don't think a coyote would be in your gated backyard.

She's trying to figure out what to do with the other dog. They always had the doggie door open so they could go in and out of the house during the day when they are at work. Before they got the door installed, they tore the place up every day but soon as they got the doggie door they were happy to just go outside.

Attachments

• morgan.jpg
    morgan.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 133
Ready2Downsize said:
Looking at her house on google maps, I see there is a large trash can (like the ones we have here) right in front of their fence. I'll bet it could easily get on that trash can and scamper over the top of the fence.

My daughter is torn up over it. They had two dogs they got as shelter dogs nearly 10 years ago and this was "her" dog, the quieter and calmer of the two. She had been sick (just finished a course of antibiotics) and lost a lot of weight so she was already compromised but apparently she was on the mend. She feels like it was "her fault" because she was home and let the dog out.

I'm pretty darn thankful it wasn't my 5 year old grandson out there. He did sometimes go outside to play by himself in the backyard..... no more.

You just don't think a coyote would be in your gated backyard.

She's trying to figure out what to do with the other dog. They always had the doggie door open so they could go in and out of the house during the day when they are at work. Before they got the door installed, they tore the place up every day but soon as they got the doggie door they were happy to just go outside.

That is just horrible. I am so sorry. And as a reminder again, we all need to be cautious.  I walk sometimes at night when after the kids goes down, and in the dark I do see and hear coyotes running around in the bush. I do walk with a bat all times. Sometimes, I do run across a coyotes or two on the Pavillion Park side.

They are all over the place during the odd hours... Here is one of two coyotes at Tustin Field a couple weeks ago (a mated pair?)... last seen sauntering across Edinger over to Tustin Field II around 6 am. I was surprised to see them so far "inland".

Now I'm getting worry for my little one.  I'm going to get this for my dog.
https://www.coyotevest.com/collections/coyotevest/products/coyotewhiskers

ExtraSmallCoyoteVest2_large.jpg

Rizdak said:
They are all over the place during the odd hours... Here is one of two coyotes at Tustin Field a couple weeks ago (a mated pair?)... last seen sauntering across Edinger over to Tustin Field II around 6 am. I was surprised to see them so far "inland".

They must be taking some other routes like TMNT... oddest place I saw was 405 and harbor Blvd in Costa Mesa.

Not coyote related, but a former coworker was telling me her cat was almost nabbed by an owl somewhere in NW

lnc said:
Now I'm getting worry for my little one.  I'm going to get this for my dog.
https://www.coyotevest.com/collections/coyotevest/products/coyotewhiskers

ExtraSmallCoyoteVest2_large.jpg
The coyotevest seems like a good idea but  I would like to see some testimonials of what actually happened to a dog attacked by a coyote while wearing the vest before getting one. I've learned to not underestimate the resourcefulness of hungry animals, especially highly intelligent ones like coyotes.

A golf club or baseball bat are probably far more effective; just dispose of the coyote carcass yourself. Certain activists might not appreciate the bludgeoning of precious wild life.

I always talk to my kids about how to defend themselves from dogs - Stand your ground. Do not run. Kick up at their neck and crush it, if they charge.

But is carrying a golf club or baseball bat legal? (Walking around the streets)
I think the answer is no.

Perspective said:
A golf club or baseball bat are probably far more effective; just dispose of the coyote carcass yourself. Certain activists might not appreciate the bludgeoning of precious wild life.

I always talk to my kids about how to defend themselves from dogs - Stand your ground. Do not run. Kick up at their neck and crush it, if they charge.

eyephone said:

Perspective said:

Why would it be illegal to carry a baseball bat? It is not. Now, if the bat is retrofitted with a blade and/or spikes to inflict greater damage, that might be an issue.

Perspective said:
eyephone said:

Perspective said:

Why would it be illegal to carry a baseball bat? It is not. Now, if the bat is retrofitted with a blade and/or spikes to inflict greater damage, that might be an issue.

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=pen&group=22001-23000&file=22210-22295

The California statute prohibits possession of ?any instrument or weapon of the kind commonly known as a blackjack, slungshot, billy, sandclub, sap, or sandbag.?

Billy aka billy club (bat)

eyephone said:
Perspective said:
eyephone said:

Perspective said:

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=pen&group=22001-23000&file=22210-22295

The California statute prohibits possession of ?any instrument or weapon of the kind commonly known as a blackjack, slungshot, billy, sandclub, sap, or sandbag.?

Send the Irvine police to the ball parks this weekend. There are dozens of kids possessing bats, and swinging them!

Perspective said:
eyephone said:
Perspective said:
eyephone said:

Perspective said:

Send the Irvine police to the ball parks this weekend. There are dozens of kids possessing bats, and swinging them!

If you have a bat in your car, this can be a problem because it can be considered a weapon.

There was a California case in which a man had a bat in the back seat of his vehicle for self defense, as he repossessed car. 
The lower court ruled that having the bat for self defense was not defense to possess a billy club, if it can be used as a weapon. The court of appeal affirmed the conviction. (I summarized the case)

Back