Zero Lot Line Madness

soysen

Zero lot line properties are cropping up everywhere. It's crazy but people are buying them. How can anyone buy property where they do not have access to the side of their home? Where neighbors can trash the side of your wall and you wouldn't even know it?

Why is this legal? Crazy to think about it.

soysen said:
Zero lot line properties are cropping up everywhere. It's crazy but people are buying them. How can anyone buy property where they do not have access to the side of their home? Where neighbors can trash the side of your wall and you wouldn't even know it?

Went to an open house, zero lot line, noticed neighbor's house had some holes in their stucco wall. Found out the owner's kids would try and drill holes into the wall just for fun. Wonder if that was part of the reason they decided to sell before neighbor's find out  :mad:

soysen said:

it is a headache to have bought a home which owner doesn't have access the the exterior wall, but some property doesn't have this issue. zero lot could mean the house is sitting on the property line which faces the street/greens/hoa area  etc..

Don't have access to one side of the exterior wall is one major negative about zero lot homes.

And the advantage is that home owner can have a 10' wide side yard on one side so the entire back yard and side yard together can form a fairly spacious L shape yard.

Personally I don't like zero lot home too but due to small lot size and very small yard, this is one way to make a small yard appears bigger and more useful.

Ellwood at BP probably has one of best execution of zero lot home I've seen.  If you visit the model home, you'll know what I'm talking about.  Instead of traditionally 5' on one side and 5' on other, which make the side yard almost useless;  a 10' wide side yard connect to 10' deep back yard, they form a nice L shape yard.

Having owned a zero lot line home (5' side yard with 3 neighbors staring into our backyard), I will never buy another one.  We had a horrible next door neighbor, who felt she could come into our yard whenever she wanted because it's her wall.  There's no reasoning with a crazy.  I guess most zero lot line homes are fine, we just go lucky with a special neighbor. 

What's worse...shared driveway or zero lot line? As much as I hated our situation, I actually think shared driveway is worse.

A S said:
We had a horrible next door neighbor, who felt she could come into our yard whenever she wanted because it's her wall.

Wow. How did she get in? Wasn't the gate locked?

A S said:
Having owned a zero lot line home (5' side yard with 3 neighbors staring into our backyard), I will never buy another one.  We had a horrible next door neighbor, who felt she could come into our yard whenever she wanted because it's her wall.  There's no reasoning with a crazy.  I guess most zero lot line homes are fine, we just go lucky with a special neighbor. 

What's worse...shared driveway or zero lot line? As much as I hated our situation, I actually think shared driveway is worse.

I think shared driveway is way better, at least you can see all of your driveway. I'm just terrified that my neighbor will destroy the side of my house (via kids, pets, plants, water damage, environment, etc) and not know it until it's too late.

Excellent observation! Ellwood is by far the best execution of Zero lot because the project utilizes very little of the neighbor's wall. Plan 2 Nathaniel is totally independent and none of it's wall is a zero wall. Typically, for most zero lots the entire wall is being rendered to the neighbor's use. Both Nolan plan 3 and Nash Plan 1 less than 40% of Wall or about 15' of it is is actually a zero wall. The owner could walk around all 3.6 sides of his plan 1 and plan 3. Owners can walk entirely around their plan 2.

lnc said:
Don't have access to one side of the exterior wall is one major negative about zero lot homes.

And the advantage is that home owner can have a 10' wide side yard on one side so the entire back yard and side yard together can form a fairly spacious L shape yard.

Personally I don't like zero lot home too but due to small lot size and very small yard, this is one way to make a small yard appears bigger and more useful.

Ellwood at BP probably has one of best execution of zero lot home I've seen.  If you visit the model home, you'll know what I'm talking about.  Instead of traditionally 5' on one side and 5' on other, which make the side yard almost useless;  a 10' wide side yard connect to 10' deep back yard, they form a nice L shape yard.

I live in a zero lot line house in Turtle Rock, on a ~8k sf lot, and it actually seems to provide a lot of privacy. The neighbor has no windows on our side. Makes the yard seem larger as well. The homes sit between the yards, essentially, so it provides a good amount of noise attenuation (more than a fence or wall). Moved from CDM where I could hear my neighbors showering, so I may have a skewed view of things.

I guess its not technically zero lot line - the line is about 2 feet from the wall of the house - but you have to go through your neighbor's yard to see your wall. You are at the mercy of your neighbor, but I hope given the area and pricing that the neighbors are respectful and courteous - mine have been!

strom said:
I live in a zero lot line house in Turtle Rock, on a ~8k sf lot, and it actually seems to provide a lot of privacy. The neighbor has no windows on our side. Makes the yard seem larger as well. The homes sit between the yards, essentially, so it provides a good amount of noise attenuation (more than a fence or wall). Moved from CDM where I could hear my neighbors showering, so I may have a skewed view of things.

I guess its not technically zero lot line - the line is about 2 feet from the wall of the house - but you have to go through your neighbor's yard to see your wall. You are at the mercy of your neighbor, but I hope given the area and pricing that the neighbors are respectful and courteous - mine have been!

Your situation is unlike any of the current zero lot line issues...

1 - Turtle Rock
2 - 8000sf lot

Compared to:

1 - Irvine Pacific (bleh)
2 - 2500sf house on a 3000sf lot
3 - Irvine Pacific (bleh)

gasman said:
Your situation is unlike any of the current zero lot line issues...

1 - Turtle Rock
2 - 8000sf lot

Compared to:

1 - Irvine Pacific (bleh)
2 - 2500sf house on a 3000sf lot
3 - Irvine Pacific (bleh)

Wait, whats wrong with Irvine Pacific? I thought everyone loves to be in cookie cutter houses, lol.

The layouts of Irvine pacific is actually nice to me. 
Don't like the shallow lots, 5ft setbacks, shared motorcourts, squeeze in as many houses as possible.

Back