Court again rejects Irvine's challenge to expansion of county jail

WTTCHMN

The city's attorneys are idiots.  Should have had 5 Points and Baker Ranch bankroll a better law firm.  BP sales are already in the toilet... This, plus the potential for a cemetery, should stick a fork in it.

Court again rejects Irvine's challenge to expansion of county jail
Oct. 9, 2015 Updated 4:49 p.m.
By MEGHANN M. CUNIFF

An appellate court has rejected the city of Irvine's latest attempt to stop the expansion of Orange County?s James A. Musick jail.

The Fourth District Court of Appeal this week concluded that the county?s environmental reviews for the $80 million project were proper, rejecting Irvine's claim that more study was needed because of a 16-year lapse between the reviews and the formal project proposal.

The three-judge panel noted that Irvine?s arguments essentially repeated arguments from past lawsuits and said the city's latest brief ?beats a dead horse.?

?It is impossible to predict with precision the micro effects of various stages of construction at precise points in time without also knowing precisely when one will have the funding to implement those various stages of construction,? Acting Presiding Justice William Bedsworth wrote in the 12-page ruling. ?The best you can do is come reasonably close. That, the County did.?

The ruling, issued Wednesday and announced by the county Friday, ends Irvine?s nearly 20-year legal battle against the jail expansion. The city can appeal the ruling to the state Supreme Court; City Hall officials have not yet said whether they plan to do so.

The county plans to add 896 beds by October 2019; the jail currently has 1,322 beds. A 512-bed expansion is to begin construction next year, and a 384-bed facility that will included classroom and therapy space will be funded by an $80 million state grant secured last year.

The appellate ruling upholds a trial court?s decision last year. The city of Irvine will pay the county?s legal fees, according to a county news release.

Contact the writer: mcuniff@ocregister.com. Twitter: @meghanncuniff.

This is good for Irvine. It will provide the city with more diversity by increasing the city's black/white/Hispanic populations

callmehere said:
how do you know BP sales are tanking?

"Tanking" is a subjective term, but BP sales are certainly much slower than Orchard Hills and Stonegate, and dramatically worse than Pavilion Park's huge success.

So we can add a larger jail to the toxic land high school and cemetery. BP and PP forgot to do their homework in creating a master planned community. I guess the bicycle theme probably isn't a good idea.

Kangen.Irvine said:
So we can add a larger jail to the toxic land high school and cemetery. BP and PP forgot to do their homework in creating a master planned community. I guess the bicycle theme probably isn't a good idea.

Don't forget to add TIC.  Portola Springs homes are closer to the jail than BP and PP.

Slow sales translate to builder will willing to cut some profit to move products. End of the year buy is a great time to squeeze the builders for additional incentives. If you play your cards right and have a poker face, I would say that November and December time frame is the best of times to negotiate if you are seriously thinking about put a nest in a place.

I can bet that by next year spring time, housing market would jump higher. This has happened over and over again in the last two decades, exception is the Great Recession era.

Compressed-Village said:
Slow sales translate to builder will willing to cut some profit to move products. End of the year buy is a great time to squeeze the builders for additional incentives. If you play your cards right and have a poker face, I would say that November and December time frame is the best of times to negotiate if you are seriously thinking about put a nest in a place.

I can bet that by next year spring time, housing market would jump higher. This has happened over and over again in the last two decades, exception is the Great Recession era.

For builders to recognize revenue the house must have closed, so standing inventory is your best bet so it can close by 12/31 (assuming calendar year end). Signing a contract in nov/December doesn't do anything to their bottom line but it does pump up the backlog/pending sales numbers to report on their earnings calls.

Back