OLED TV's

davenlei

So I recently bought a 65" LG 4K OLED TV and the picture quality is amazing.  The contrast, colors and black levels are way beyond the LED LCD it is replacing in the room.

If you are in the market for a new TV, take a look at the OLED TV's.  The picture quality is superb.

Also They have a deal right now where it is $1000 off and you get a free 49" LED LCD 4K TV with your purchase.  I believe it ends at the end of next week.

USCTrojanCPA said:
What's the difference between the OLED and LED TVs?
LED LCD uses a back light (the LED part) to shine light through the LCD panel to give you a picture.  Since it is 'on' all the time, in dark scenes, the black parts of the picture are never truly black due to light bleed.  The black areas are a very dark gray.  Also, colors can appear washed out/un-natural if the backlight is too bright.

OLED pixels actually emit their own light and do not need a back light (similar to the old Plasma's without the negative parts) so that when a section of the screen should be black, it is truly black.  Also since colors are produced by the pixel emitting the light, they are more accurate and saturated.

Contrast is vastly superior (due to being able to turn off each individual pixel) which creates a more realistic and less washed out picture.

The one thing about OLED is that the current units are not as bright as LED (very close but not exactly) but if you watch TV the way it should, you would never have the TV as bright as possible.

If you go to Best Buy (especially one with a Magnolia Center), look at a LED LCD TV and then the OLED TV.  It is quite a dramatic difference.

Size wise, it is kinda cool that the screen is the thickness of a pane of glass.

irvinehomeowner said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
What's the difference between the OLED and LED TVs?
The O.
:)

That O stand for organic and these organic LED are all the rage right now. 

And its not limited to flat screen TVs, BMW start using them on the tail light of some models.

That new M4 GTS has this new O-LED tail light.  And in the near future,  you might seeing it on the track and pulling away from your GT3. :)

BMW_Concept_M4_GTS_Malaysia_-006.jpg

davenlei said:
So I recently bought a 65" LG 4K OLED TV and the picture quality is amazing.  The contrast, colors and black levels are way beyond the LED LCD it is replacing in the room.

If you are in the market for a new TV, take a look at the OLED TV's.  The picture quality is superb.

Also They have a deal right now where it is $1000 off and you get a free 49" LED LCD 4K TV with your purchase.  I believe it ends at the end of next week.

Where do I go for this deal??

The new OLEDs are going to look much better than current LEDs.  You will notice it most on dark scenes.

I've heard that OLED's are more vulnerable to burn ins.  That's a danger if you have static images or play games a lot (where some elements are constant like a hud).

davenlei said:

Hopefully this deal isn't at Paul's TV.  That place is AWFUL!!

happytales said:
davenlei said:

Where do I go for this deal??

Best Buy has the deal.  You need to check if it is still on or not.

riznick said:
The new OLEDs are going to look much better than current LEDs.  You will notice it most on dark scenes.

I've heard that OLED's are more vulnerable to burn ins.  That's a danger if you have static images or play games a lot (where some elements are constant like a hud).

The black levels and contrast is outstanding.  When I look at my LED LCD now (moved to another room), the image seems a bit washed out and flat.  I cant believe how much the image and colors pop with OLED.

Regarding burn in, yes, they are more prone than LED LCD but due to improvements over the models make OLED burn in very unlikely.  They are no where near as prone to burn in as plasma is.  My son loves to play games with HUD and my daughter likes watching shows that are letter boxed.  I have not seen any image retention or burn in at all. 
I have been told that if you do play a lot of games or have static images, you need to limit it to 12 hours at a time and watch some regular TV for a few minutes in between those 12 hour sprints to give those pixels the variation it needs.

There is also a 'recovery' cycle in these new OLED TV's that improve image quality and help reduce screen issues after it logs six hours of use and you turn it off.

Really interesting technology. 

I am not a 3D TV fan since the implementation and image quality has been average at best in the past.  I watched Avatar 3D on the OLED (passive 3D) the other night and was really blown away how good it looked.  Colors and images were super clean and since it is a 4K TV, the 3D was full 1080P (Passive 3D on regular 1080P TV's is actually half the resolution).

Back