Skipping a school year grade

curious george said:
Does anyone knows if there is an option to skip a school year grade (from kindergarten to grade 1)?

You have to bring it up to the teacher and they will start the evaluation process.  You can only skip one year for the child's academic career in IUSD.

paydawg said:
Not sure what the real benefit is...

Depends on the child...some children are much more advance than their peers that they get bored.  Also, if you have a kid with a late birthday, you can catch up with the kids in the same birth year.

Of course, if your child is an athlete, having a late birthday may benefit him/her later in life.

My son skipped a year from kindergarten to 1st grade in IUSD.  It was pretty difficult to convince the teachers and administration that it's beneficial for the child.  They do not care about how advanced and ready your child is.  They feel that the social damage of skipping the grade might be too much.  We did it anyways and do not regret it.  My son is in 8th grade now and physically/socially/academically fits well within his peers. 
However, I would do not have done that with any of my other children.
I would say go and push for that grade skipping only if you are absolutely sure it will be beneficial for your child.

Back