Subsidies

eyephone

Your tax dollars at work.
Subsidies:
- Obamacare
- Lifeline program - discount on cell phone service
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (Food Stamps)
- CalFresh
- Section 8 (Federal Public House Assistance)
- Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program
- Head Start
- California Special Milk Program
- California Weatherization Assistance Program
- National School Lunch Program's
- Renter Assistance Program
- California Homebuyer's Downpayment Assistance Program (CHDAP)
- ?H20 - Help to Others" (help with water bill)
- Medi-Cal
- CalWORKs Program (help CA residents prepare for employment)

aquabliss said:
And how many of those do 99% of TI'ers use...

None.

Yup...except most TIs receive a huge subsidy in the form of mortgage deductions.'

Also sure many TIs get child care deductions and some probably get business deductions. 

But completely different since we are on the other side of the ledger.

Don't forget 401(k)

Irvinecommuter said:
aquabliss said:

None.

Yup...except most TIs receive a huge subsidy in the form of mortgage deductions.'

Also sure many TIs get child care deductions and some probably get business deductions. 

What is the goal of this thread? Are you saying we should provide no government benefits?  Are you saying that is not enough?

Bullsback said:
What is the goal of this thread? Are you saying we should provide no government benefits?  Are you saying that is not enough?

Basically "stop spending taxpayer money on others and spend it on me!"

Irvinecommuter said:
Bullsback said:

Basically "stop spending taxpayer money on others and spend it on me!"

More like "stop spending taxpayer money on poor people" given the highlighted programs and with poor possibly being a dog-whistle term.

My effective Federal Income Tax Rate is under 5%. Some of the subsidies we enjoy despite top 20% percentile income:

- Health Insurance Deduction (pre-tax thru employer with no FICA or Medicare tax)
- Mortgage Interest Deduction
- Property Tax + State Income Tax deduction
- Charitable deduction (includes memberships to places like the SD Zoo and Santa Barbara Zoo)

It's beneficial for everyone that even the poor have basic necessities. Reduces crime, improves the economy, etc.

Irvinecommuter said:
aquabliss said:

None.

I think it can be argued that deductions are different from subsidies.

And compared to the amount of taxes paid, some of these deductions are nominal.

We've discussed this in the past before, but my biggest issue with these programs is the money being put into them is significantly more than the benefits that are being passed on.

I don't mind if my $1 is buying some benefit worth $1 for those who need it, but if it's only paying for 10 cents of benefits and the bureaucracy is making 90 cents... bleh.

aquabliss said:

None.

Actually the vast majority use one of the absolute biggest.  In fact, in California, it takes $45 billion from the general fund alone for FREE K-12 public education.

Then special funds, Federal funds, Bond levees, on and on.

The primary reason to move to Irvine is often to get to a perceived better trough to fed at for the FREE education.

paperboyNC said:
My effective Federal Income Tax Rate is under 5%. Some of the subsidies we enjoy despite top 20% percentile income:

- Health Insurance Deduction (pre-tax thru employer with no FICA or Medicare tax)
Not just the top 20% get that.  Also, if your company doesn't cover it you don't get it.

paperboyNC said:
- Property Tax + State Income Tax deduction
A tax deduction on taxes paid is not a subsidy in any sense of the word...  It's insane to tax people on taxes paid.

paperboyNC said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
Tax credits for buying Hybrid/EV cars.

Don't have one.. but they have helped lower oil & gas prices for the rest of us!
Saudi Arabia gets credit for that.  They are increasing the supply in order to squeeze out the competition and to also hurt a few countries.  They stated that they will never again let prices get that high.http://www.usatoday.com/story/money...audi-prince-alwaleed-oil-100-barrel/21484911/

Back