How much did u pay for water softner?

I recommend Kinetico. Depending on which series, it can go up or down, but on average about $4K. There's cheaper ones on the market, like ones you see at homedepot or lowes. But as the saying goes, "you get what you pay for".

I paid about 500.00 for a GE 45,000 grain softener through the GE employee discount site posted in another thread here, and another 500.00 for installation, which I thought was too much.  The initial installation quote was 350.00, but the plumber didn't account for a waste water drain.  He ran some PVC piping to the storm gutter drain, and told me he would only charge me for materials, but apparently, 4 feet of PVC piping plus a couple of elbow joints costs 150.00.  My softener is installed in the garage right next to the main water supply.

Kinetico is way over priced but good quality

GE softeners from Homedepot or Lowes are trash.

we bought the industry standard Fleck 48000 grain softener system for $500 (4 hour self assembly) and $600 for plumber to install, all 1 1/4'copper pipes. Yes the plumbing part is a rip-off

So we paid home depot softener price for a quality system that is equivalent to Kinetico or better. Just need some DIY.

We chose the water softener pre-plumb option through the builder. Would we still have to pay $500 for installation when we buy our water softener later or is it more of a "plug in and wala!" thing?

pre-plumbing just saves you the drywall work (to connect the drainage) where some plumbers will not do. You still have to pay $500 for installation

happytales said:
We chose the water softener pre-plumb option through the builder. Would we still have to pay $500 for installation when we buy our water softener later or is it more of a "plug in and wala!" thing?

gaogi said:
I paid about 500.00 for a GE 45,000 grain softener through the GE employee discount site posted in another thread here, and another 500.00 for installation, which I thought was too much.  The initial installation quote was 350.00, but the plumber didn't account for a waste water drain.  He ran some PVC piping to the storm gutter drain, and told me he would only charge me for materials, but apparently, 4 feet of PVC piping plus a couple of elbow joints costs 150.00.  My softener is installed in the garage right next to the main water supply.

Hmmm...I was told, at least for the city of Irvine, it was illegal to pipe the drain to the storm gutter.

$5000 for Kinetico but I love our water softner, it's a great system. We also got the water filtration system for the drinking water

November 2013- paid $1700 for 1.5 cu ft system with Fleck 5800 valve and reverse osmosis system for the drinking water at the sink.

I had considered the Eco Water from Costco, then got an education that you pay more for the proprietary systems/parts.

Anybody have experience with the water conditioners?  Dont want to do the salt thing.

Back