New Korean BBQ place

Irvinecommuter

Saw the signage for Kang Ho Dong Baekjeong at Heritage Plaza...taking over the former Denny's location.

Kang Ho Dong is a famous MC/host of entertainment programs in Korea.  Apparently, this is a super awesome Korean BBQ chain.  It already has restaurants in LA Koreatown and Buena Park.

LA Yelp review: http://www.yelp.com/biz/kang-ho-dong-baekjeong-los-angeles

BP Yelp review: http://www.yelp.com/biz/kang-hodong-baekjeong-korean-bbq-buena-park-2

2012 La Times articles: http://www.laweekly.com/restaurants...aurant-koreatown-didnt-know-it-needed-2176434

Curious to see how late it will stay open.

Not familiar with this Korean BBQ chain, looks like no AYCE?  And the prices look high so I'm expecting quality.  The grill looks interesting, what's that eggy sauce thing thats takes up half of the bottom of the grill?  Kinda reminds me of Honey Pig which I will never go back again.  Not a fan of grilled pork belly but the beef combo's look good.  That parking lot's gonna get crazy.

I went to buena park place twice.  the average wait is 1-2 hours.  the meat quality is above average.  the service is good.  i spend average $30 dollars per person.

does anyone know when it will open?

2 hour wait?  what is this, korean din tai fung?  at least you can get a beer at BWW while you wait

I've also been to the Buena Park one. Not AYCE, good quality, but pricey. They pour egg into the slot on the bottom of the grill, kinda like unlimited steamed egg. The other side is corn and cheese, also unlimited. I'm never full, full so I only go once in a blue moon.

happytales said:
I've also been to the Buena Park one. Not AYCE, good quality, but pricey. They pour egg into the slot on the bottom of the grill, kinda like unlimited steamed egg. The other side is corn and cheese, also unlimited. I'm never full, full so I only go once in a blue moon.

Can't you just order more?

jmoney74 said:
happytales said:

Can't you just order more?

Nah...too cheap.

I've been to the one in K-Town, fantastic. It has a great drinking and chow down vibe. The meat quality is good, no AYCE. The totally cook for you and all you do is relax, he even told me, let me do it, this is not AYCE. The sets are best value being either beef or pork, they're very well known for the pork neck that a lot of places are carrying now. Panchan is minimal, they provide liquid egg and corn cheese for the moat. There's also a kimchi fried rice, which is just all thrown in a metal box with egg, then they shake it up tableside, delish. Wait is ridiculous for this location.

The Buena Park one was good, not as good as K-Town. Glad there's more options coming to Irvine.

So 1.5+ years later, still not open. Anyone know any details? At least there's the Rowland Heights and Buena Park locations vs just K-town now.

jumpinjacks said:
So 1.5+ years later, still not open. Anyone know any details? At least there's the Rowland Heights and Buena Park locations vs just K-town now.

Construction is well underway but it took them way too long to start.

Parking is already a disaster and this place will make it worse. The city should force them to build a parking structure like Diamond Jamboree.

jumpinjacks said:

It looks like they tried to just re-model the place, but they ended up having to completely redo the building. 

Parking at this Plaza is already at 100% where I think twice about coming to the Plaza during peak times.  It's going to be an absolute nightmare once this KBBQ opens up.  Might end up competing with DJ as having the worst parking situation in Irvine.

I wonder if they had to tear it down to studs a second time and start over, or maybe the rain messed things up.  They better do this right from the get go, that's a lot of money for kbbq

Back