Orchard Hills Community TUSD Side - Please Enroll Kids

Legit949

All,

I spoke with TUSD and they assured me that they plan to expand the grade levels at Orchard Hills School from grades 5 -8 to K-8. I was told that the number of kids currently enrolled at The Orchard Hills School from The Orchard Hills community is low and that is the current hold up. She assured me, that they will will expand the grade levels as soon as the number of applicants increases (She checks the numbers weekly and I will follow-up). If you've settled into your new home on The Orchard Hills TUSD side (Terrazza, 60 homes from Strada and all of the Groves) please enroll your kids. This will expedite the opening of grades K-4 at The Orchard Hills School. It's very exciting and would seem somewhat disruptive to have our kids attend Hicks K-4 and OH 5-8. I also believe this will help the traffic situation at Orchard Hills School, more kids will be local and within walking distance. Thank you guys for your help!

lol good luck with that

http://nebula.wsimg.com/52edd3aa08fd4d7ceed521cc406a5071?AccessKeyId=DBC4E59E95216BA386E3&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

LOL test beat me to it.

Good luck.  TUSD doesn't ever disclose their enrollment numbers, or their thresholds.  So whatever information you're getting should be taken with a grain of salt.

TUSD fails again.

gasman said:
TUSD fails again.

This problem is not unique to TUSD. Look at the poor sods who bought in Portola Springs. 1 decade later after paying MR and they are finally getting their elementary school this Fall.

iacrenter said:
gasman said:
TUSD fails again.

This problem is not unique to TUSD. Look at the poor sods who bought in Portola Springs. 1 decade later after paying MR and they are finally getting their elementary school this Fall.

True - it's been sucky for PS residents but to be fair, PS has been zoned to Stonegate the last few years (blue ribbon and very close by) while Greenwood is zoned for meh veeh and Tustin Ranch schools aren't that close.

Hopefully things will be different at Orchard Hills K-8. The school has already opened 4 grades (5-8), they just need to swap grades K-4 at Hicks Elementary with grades 5-6 at Orchard Hills School. Plus, Orchard Hills School will be the Diamond School and the Face of TUSD...

Trying to enroll kids at hicks and orchard hill... Did the online thing several months ago, but keep waiting for the schools' office to 'open' to verify the enrollment.  They keep saying 8/12, that is awfully close to the time school starts.  Why is there such a delay?

:(

Legit949 said:
Hopefully things will be different at Orchard Hills K-8. The school has already opened 4 grades (5-8), they just need to swap grades K-4 at Hicks Elementary with grades 5-6 at Orchard Hills School. Plus, Orchard Hills School will be the Diamond School and the Face of TUSD...

Good luck.  I wouldn't get my hopes up, though.  If history repeats itself, TUSD will drag this on for as long as possible.  You'll be lucky if they open 1 grade every 1-2 years.  They won't open K-4 in one shot.

Comparing TUSD to the PS issues isn't really fair...at least PS had a viable alternative.  IUSD makes a conscious effort to construct schools before or in parallel with residential projects (PS being the exception due to the recession), but at least they live up to their promises.  Just take one look at the TUSD issues in Legacy and you can see a drastic difference in how they approach their schools.

Is IUSD perfect?  Nope...I'm sure they make plenty of mistakes.  But TUSD is a complete fail.

gasman said:
Legit949 said:

Good luck.  I wouldn't get my hopes up, though.  If history repeats itself, TUSD will drag this on for as long as possible.  You'll be lucky if they open 1 grade every 1-2 years.  They won't open K-4 in one shot.

Comparing TUSD to the PS issues isn't really fair...at least PS had a viable alternative.  IUSD makes a conscious effort to construct schools before or in parallel with residential projects (PS being the exception due to the recession), but at least they live up to their promises.  Just take one look at the TUSD issues in Legacy and you can see a drastic difference in how they approach their schools.

Is IUSD perfect?  Nope...I'm sure they make plenty of mistakes.  But TUSD is a complete fail.

Your personal anger toward TUSD is understandable. Paying MR for 7+ years at Columbus Square and not having your own school would drive anyone crazy.

My children are not of kindergarten age.  They will be in 2 years.  Should I "register" them somehow so TUSD knows that there are kids who need the school?

TJinOH said:
My children are not of kindergarten age.  They will be in 2 years.  Should I "register" them somehow so TUSD knows that there are kids who need the school?

If you lived in the IUSD side, you wouldn't have to be thinking about "pre-registering" and thinking about your kids school future.

iacrenter said:
gasman said:
Legit949 said:

Your personal anger toward TUSD is understandable. Paying MR for 7+ years at Columbus Square and not having your own school would drive anyone crazy.
The biggest difference between the Columbus Square situation and the Orchard Hills situation is that the infrastructure is already present at OH. It?s seriously no surprise as per why the school has remained a 5-8 school for this long; the school has been around for 5 years (entering its 6th year), and people have began moving in to its immediate surrounding area only about 6 months ago. Hicks Canyon will surely reach its overflow capacity very soon as a result of the new OH move-ins, and TUSD will [ideally] begin to open the K-4 classrooms as a result. Hiring new teachers to fill up existing infrastructure is not a difficult job to do; there is certainly no shortage of new teachers to hire.

Villager said:
The biggest difference between the Columbus Square situation and the Orchard Hills situation is that the infrastructure is already present at OH. It?s seriously no surprise as per why the school has remained a 5-8 school for this long; the school has been around for 5 years (entering its 6th year), and people have began moving in to its immediate surrounding area only about 6 months ago. Hicks Canyon will surely reach its overflow capacity very soon as a result of the new OH move-ins, and TUSD will [ideally] begin to open the K-4 classrooms as a result. Hiring new teachers to fill up existing infrastructure is not a difficult job to do; there is certainly no shortage of new teachers to hire.

not hiring new teachers, but the logistic nightmare of merging and averaging out grades between OH and Hicks Canyon.  Remember OH school is full, there is no empty k-4 classrooms just waiting for a new teacher and happy OH kids to fill up.  It's already filled with 5-8. 

Lets also remember one thing, the school that the kids are zoned to in OC (TUSD) is an excellent elementary school as well. You aren't talking about the difference between a brand new elementary school and one of the dump schools in Tustin here. 

Sir,

Hicks Elementary is without a doubt, a great school. I'm more concerned with the location of the school. 3 miles vs. walking across the street.

Back