In 'which' God We Trust

WillJoy

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/city-671241-county-orange.html:
"Following in the footsteps of more than half of Orange County cities, Irvine on Tuesday is set to consider displaying the phrase ?In God We Trust? in its council chambers."

Leaders representing 5 or 6 different religions (I can't really tell the differences except the obvious ones) jointly signed the letter to urge the city to revive living-wage law in Irvine. I wonder how,  these leaders, especially leaders of non-Christian faith see this issue of 'In God We Trust'. I'm for equality and don't mind seeing this same sentence presented in multiple languages in all Chambers.

Someone had better alert the Chinese as their Buddism leaders and Taoism (the feng shui crowd) leaders are about the miss the boat, again.

I think this is a good idea as it will further set OC apart from the wackos in LA County, who erased the cross off of the top of the San Gabriel Mission on the LA seal even though the cross actually exists on top of the actual mission.

To be inclusive, maybe the motto can be "in God and demigods we trust", that way, Chairman Mao can also be honored.

God singular should be fine. Everyone has something in their life that they dedicate their majority time and effort into, whether it be something spiritual, familial,  societal or material. That's one thing they are betting their life on. That is their God. So "In God we trust" should resonate with everyone ;)

That will first annoy the atheist, then cause issues with religions who don't refer to their Almighty as God.

Why not "In HUMANITY we trust" ? 

I saw this guy sitting outside Trader Joe's (Walnut/Culver) with a sign "Help the Children of God with your donation".  Seriously....  my $3(which I would never give)  is going to help some random kids that GOD could help with one fell swoop?  How 'bout GOD helps the children because he is kind, omniscient, all-powerful...  well, I digress. 

How does "In God we Trust" represent the atheists?  Why does everyone discount the atheists? We are the fastest-growing group in the U.S.  I believe in humanity-- we help ourselves, our families, each other-- I have NO trust in any kind of almighty power that suddenly swoops in and helps us.  Why would I?  Why should I have to sit there for a meeting and read "In God we trust?"  Why is such a sign necessary?  What does it bring to the table?  Why on earth is it in anyway helpful in a place that is supposed to represent ALL of the citizens of Irvine?

Believe what you want.  That's why we live in America.  But don't push your beliefs on others and force "In GOD we Trust" into every single meeting.  We CANNOT hold that we each have the right to our own beliefs in the U.S of A. and force "In God we Trust" onto each other.  It's Anti-American.

Beaglgirl said:
Why not "In HUMANITY we trust" ? 

I saw this guy sitting outside Trader Joe's (Walnut/Culver) with a sign "Help the Children of God with your donation".  Seriously....  my $3(which I would never give)  is going to help some random kids that GOD could help with one fell swoop?  How 'bout GOD helps the children because he is kind, omniscient, all-powerful...  well, I digress. 

How does "In God we Trust" represent the atheists?  Why does everyone discount the atheists? We are the fastest-growing group in the U.S.  I believe in humanity-- we help ourselves, our families, each other-- I have NO trust in any kind of almighty power that suddenly swoops in and helps us.  Why would I?  Why should I have to sit there for a meeting and read "In God we trust?"  Why is such a sign necessary?  What does it bring to the table?  Why on earth is it in anyway helpful in a place that is supposed to represent ALL of the citizens of Irvine?

Believe what you want.  That's why we live in America.  But don't push your beliefs on others and force "In GOD we Trust" into every single meeting.  We CANNOT hold that we each have the right to our own beliefs in the U.S of A. and force "In God we Trust" onto each other.  It's Anti-American.

Read the article below.
http://www.newsmax.com/t/newsmax/article/574541

#GodBlessAmerica
#JesusWalks

O.K.... I read it... so what?  The majority of america loves "In God we Trust".  So what?  This isn't news.  Just because a majority loves god doesn't mean I need to love him/her too?  What happened to making up my own f***in' mind?  How 'bout if people love God all they want, spew forth about him or her, set up a table outside TJ's, ask for money, pray for people, go to church... just stop telling other AMERICANS what they need to believe.  Respect diversity.  Christians who force their religion on people are today's white supremacists.  Just let everyone be and let people believe their own beliefs. 

When a person insists that everyone else must share their beliefs, that person is simply insecure.  Be confident in your beliefs. I will be confident in mine. And together we will live in harmony, with our own confidence and security.

You are free to believe whatever you want.

You want to believe there is no God. That's fine. You'll change your mind after you die............ that's what I believe.

In what way is forcing "In God we Trust" any different than forcing that it not be displayed?  I am amazed at how atheists fail to see that some folks are perturbed about atheism being forced on them at the expense of others.

Yeah, I don't get the whole anti American argument.  Founding fathers weren't reading l ron Hubbards book, if anything, they read the Bible.  ...one Nation under God... ...in God we trust... Etc. 
Churches have been doing humanitarian and good work all the time, missions to provide healthcare, building housing, creating infrastructure for drinking water, feed/shelter for homeless, etc. 
But of course you will never help that type of cause...

The founding fathers were smart enough to not separate church from state and they knew that only with God's providence would we rise as a great nation. As Americans argue to remove God and Biblical morals from today's society you can see an increase in violence and a breakdown of the family unit. The Constitution specifically states Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof. Nowhere in the text does it mention the separation of church and state as the founders did not wish to remove God from the governing process.

qwerty said:
Religions only purpose is to control the masses.
So if not for religion, there would be chaos?

Not sure what you mean here... but I don't think it means what you think it means.

#Incontheevable!

eyephone said:
qwerty said:

Most Latinos I know believe in God. I guess qwerty is an exception.

(I'm not judging, it is what it is)

You know how I know this is a lie? When u said u know Latinos :)

My mom was very religious and si is my sister.

I' do all the heavy lifting and im supposed to give Jesus credit for it? How bout I give Jesus credit when I find a bag filled with $1M in it :)

I've been extremely lucky my whole life, if there is a Jesus - thanks man.

qwerty said:
eyephone said:
qwerty said:

Most Latinos I know believe in God. I guess qwerty is an exception.

(I'm not judging, it is what it is)

You know how I know this is a lie? When u said u know Latinos :)

My mom was very religious and si is my sister.

I' do all the heavy lifting and im supposed to give Jesus credit for it? How bout I give Jesus credit when I find a bag filled with $1M in it :)

I've been extremely lucky my whole life, if there is a Jesus - thanks man.

I would respond that Jesus is not a genie and money is not necessarily the best gauge of spiritual or personal success.

There's far more important things that Irvine council members can be meeting for than whether to display a sign (a meme!) about God.  I'm sure whatever one's belief system (God, Jedi or otherwise), it would be better served helping one's fellow man than putting up placards.  God doesn't need placards.

Poseidon_Neptune_Greek_God_Art_23.jpg

My Lord may give his bounty or take without mercy.

Back