What Temperature do you set your Air Conditioning at during Summer?

When you're at home, what temp is your A/C at?

• 65-68

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • 69-72

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • 73-76

Votes: 15 28.8%
  • 77-80

Votes: 23 44.2%
  • A/C is for 1%ers, I just open the window.

Votes: 9 17.3%

• Total voters

aquabliss

Curious to see what temp you guys leave your A/C at when you're at home and/or during the night when you're sleeping?  Not interested in what you leave it at when you're gone during the day.

With the humidity lately, it seems unbearable not to use it and just rely on the evening breeze that we could do in previous years. 

My immediate neighbors are quite varied from a family with 4 kids who has it running constantly all day all night, to an FCB family with a small daughter who I've never heard their outside unit turn on even once. 

I try not to go too crazy but still needs to be a liveable temperature inside.  Seems that setting it at 78 overnight is OK with the overhead fans on above the beds.

79 works for us.

And we only turn it on while we are awake. When we go to sleep we turn the AC off as the temp usually drops below that.

We would open the windows at night because it's cool enough but then the whole 'hood would hear me snoring.

78-79 for us but like IHO, usually turn off around bedtime.  Just point the fan at your head and pull that little knob thingy :)

77-79 is ideal for us too.
We need solar panels to bring the electric bills down. 

SubSolar said:
77-79 here. Edison bill was $330 last month.

Crap, not even AUG-SEPT yet, subsolar's bill's gonna skyrocket..

Mine was $137 for July, strange didn't get any credit for the July 1 Power Save day, I usually get at least partial credit.  SCE's response is that the credit is based on a significant difference between your save power day usage vs your 3-5 day average prior to the event.  Weird, so you have to waste more to even get the credit.  So if there is a heat wave 3-5 days prior to the Save power day and you shut down usage day of, then you save.

75 degrees 24x7  cooling just under 3000 sf but our bill nearly doubled this year to $1.77 courtesy of minimum charge increases.

SubSolar said:

That's crazy, do you keep it on 24/7? 

I keep it at 78/79 from when I get home until morning, and my bill was only about $130 last month. 

Do you do SCE Summer Discount program?  That helps like $50 per cycle from June-Aug

aquabliss said:
SubSolar said:

That's crazy, do you keep it on 24/7? 

I keep it at 78/79 from when I get home until morning, and my bill was only about $130 last month. 

Do you do SCE Summer Discount program?  That helps like $50 per cycle from June-Aug

Yeah we have an indoor dog so don't want him dying. Expect $450+ bills in next couple of months. Beats the $600-700 bills years ago I had in Corona.

What's the summer discount program?

They install a remote control box at the a/c disconnect next to the condenser where in summer months have the ability to shut off your a/c during peak periods. 

Supposedly only happens only once or twice a summer

AW said:
They install a remote control box at the a/c disconnect next to the condenser where in summer months have the ability to shut off your a/c during peak periods. 

Supposedly only happens only once or twice a summer

Wife wouldn't be happy when AC shuts off, she's preggers.

I wonder what part of Irvine has the best ocean breeze? (thus obviating the need to run A/C)

The penthouse condos on top of Scholarship don't count..

77 day and night. Edison bill is around 130.. Haven't gone beyond 150 yet. I keep the blinds on, do laundry early in the morning or late at night.

Your electric bill is measured based off of your peak use??

Back