Urban Plates & Starbucks Drive-Thru

Dresden215

Passed the Market Place tonight and saw that they're building an Urban Plates & Starbucks with a drive-thru in front of Lowe's. I wish it could a King's Hawaiian Bakery instead. I'm tired of driving to Torrance to get my dobash and passion fruit cakes.

Dresden215 said:
Passed the Market Place tonight and saw that they're building an Urban Plates & Starbucks with a drive-thru in front of Lowe's. I wish it could a King's Hawaiian Bakery instead. I'm tired of driving to Torrance to get my dobash and passion fruit cakes.

Another Urban Plates sounds good. I love their salads.

I'd rather have a Peet's Coffee but having a drive through is a big plus.

I also love King's Hawaiian. Maybe we can petition TIC to recruit them to Irvine. I'm sure they would do well.

I too would rather have Peet's Coffee! I'm addicted to their Black Tie.

Years ago, when Martin Yan's Sensasian went out of business at the Market Place, I emailed King's Hawaiian corporate and suggested that they should lease the space. I told them how many of my friends drive all the way to Torrance just to order their cakes for parties. Unfortunately, they had no desire to expand. Without a doubt, it will do well in this area.

Dresden215 said:

Years ago, when Martin Yan's Sensasian went out of business at the Market Place, I emailed King's Hawaiian corporate and suggested that they should lease the space. I told them how many of my friends drive all the way to Torrance just to order their cakes for parties. Unfortunately, they had no desire to expand. Without a doubt, it will do well in this area.

I remember the first restaurant to occupy that pad was BD's Mongolian BBQ, a chain from the Midwest owned by white people.  BD made some great Mongolian bbq.  Restaurants on that pad tend to not last very long for some reason.

BD's was where Opah's was which is now where Famous Dave's is at.

Was there last weekend at 5:30, 15 minute wait, dining room full, and the line just got longer the whole time thru dinner

Happiness said:
Dresden215 said:

I remember the first restaurant to occupy that pad was BD's Mongolian BBQ, a chain from the Midwest owned by white people.  BD made some great Mongolian bbq.  Restaurants on that pad tend to not last very long for some reason.

BD's was a unique addition we enjoyed. Here's a potential combination...Mongolian BBQ offering only tamari or coconut aminos. It would fill the BBQ need but also attract the gluten free or paleo groups.

Urban Plates is a great concept and it will do well in this location too.

How about a Rutabegorz expansion south!

I spoke with an employee at the Urban Plates on Barranca. She mentioned the new Jamboree location should open by July 11th.

FYI

For those in Baker Ranch, a new Starbucks drive through opened up on Alton, just before the 241. Less traffic than LF or the one at the bottom of Bake Parkway.

Happiness said:
Dresden215 said:

BD's was one of my favs.  I don't even know where to find a good Mongolian BBQ anymore. 

irvinehomeowner said:
ps9 said:
Wait...there was a Mongolian Bbq in Irvine?  Where was I?
You didn't miss anything... the one in Lake Forest and even at Mission Viejo Mall are better.
Oh hell no.  The mall ones are okay.  Sorry, but you lose all credibility here... 

BD's was way better.  It was AYCE.  It had a ton of different meats and veggies.

The best one is off the 5 and el toro. Been eating there since I was a kid. Always the bombbbbbbbbb.

spootieho said:
irvinehomeowner said:
ps9 said:
Wait...there was a Mongolian Bbq in Irvine?  Where was I?
You didn't miss anything... the one in Lake Forest and even at Mission Viejo Mall are better.
Oh hell no.  The mall ones are okay.  Sorry, but you lose all credibility here... 

BD's was way better.  It was AYCE.  It had a ton of different meats and veggies.
Mongolian BBQ on El Toro also has an AYCE option and it's more authentic (if that really means anything for MBBQ).

BD was Americanized MBBQ, which some may like more, but it wasn't very good as evidenced by the fact that it wasn't open very long.

The one on El Toro has been there for over 20 years.

Those breads are decent, but when I do MBBQ, I go full protein.  I don't even drink water.  And that little cup of salt soup.. pbsshhh.. not even worth my time.  Got to remind the cook to not add too much soy sauce/salt when cooking too.  Hate it when they mess with my formula. 

Back