Odor in water

hello

Anyone else have issues with odor in their water?  I have a rubber/gasoline like odor from every single faucet in my house.  Taste of the water is fine.  I have been reading about this and it seems like PEX piping could leach chemicals that can cause odors, such as toulene and ETBE.    Does anyone have any info useful info this problem or have similar issues?

I have PEX pipping and so far we don't have any issues. I also I have a Kinectico soft water system and not sure if that has helped. I would think that if PEX pipping had something to do with it then alot of new home owners would be complaining.

We have chosen to use the water filter provided by Enagic. It offers alkaline water for drinking among other pH values for cleaning and disinfecting. We do not have an odor from our water and have been very pleased with this system.

Kangen.Irvine said:
We have chosen to use the water filter provided by Enagic. It offers alkaline water for drinking among other pH values for cleaning and disinfecting. We do not have an odor from our water and have been very pleased with this system.

Snake oil!

spoke with the Irvine water district today.  They were surprisingly nice and helpful.  They said that it is well known that irvine water has an odor to it.  Sometimes when they switch where they get water - from norcal to ground water in santa ana, people will call in complaining of odor.    He said most irvine residents have gotten used to this odor and dont notice it.  He thinks that I notice it because I am new to this water.  Regardless, Im getting the water tested...

hello said:
spoke with the Irvine water district today.  They were surprisingly nice and helpful.  They said that it is well known that irvine water has an odor to it.  Sometimes when they switch where they get water - from norcal to ground water in santa ana, people will call in complaining of odor.    He said most irvine residents have gotten used to this odor and dont notice it.  He thinks that I notice it because I am new to this water.  Regardless, Im getting the water tested...

Dang, I've been trying all types of water filters for nothing then.

Does anyone know what Irvine hardness level is? 

Was thinking about water softener.. but don't like the maintenance aspect of it.  Then looked into the conditioners and most of them dont' work well except for a few but still not as good as a softener.. any good personal experiences? 

WillJoy said:
hello said:

Dang, I've been trying all types of water filters for nothing then.

I assume you have odor in your water too?

jmoney74 said:
Does anyone know what Irvine hardness level is? 

Was thinking about water softener.. but don't like the maintenance aspect of it.  Then looked into the conditioners and most of them dont' work well except for a few but still not as good as a softener.. any good personal experiences?

I just did a home water test from home depot.  I got 100ppm.  Acceptable levels are apparently less than 50ppm.  You can get a PDF sent to your email from the IWD if you request it however.

Also, I just ordered a send out test to get the water tested at a lab.  Ill post results.

Water softener will help with hardness of the water.  Reverse osmosis + alkaline will help purify drinking water on top of that, but is only dispensed through a single spout in the kitchen.  If PEX is the problem, I can't think of anything that will fix that, since the water runs through all the pex lines after its been treated by the softener.

I wonder if the odor could be related to the tankless water heater?  I know traditional water heaters have this problem, but not sure about tankless. 

Also noticed that I cant seem to get really cold water in any faucets either.  It seems like the water is warm although i only have cold water turned on.  When I initially turn on the water, its really cold, then it warms up a bit.  I suspect the initial cold water is the water that stagnant in the pipes.  Any ideas?

hello said:
I wonder if the odor could be related to the tankless water heater?  I know traditional water heaters have this problem, but not sure about tankless. 

Also noticed that I cant seem to get really cold water in any faucets either.  It seems like the water is warm although i only have cold water turned on.  When I initially turn on the water, its really cold, then it warms up a bit.  I suspect the initial cold water is the water that stagnant in the pipes.  Any ideas?

Check the weather outside lately? =)

hello said:

I was only wrong about the odor from city water. It was the filter in the fridge that contributed to the bad taste in my case. It doesn't bother me now because the fridge smells worse than the water.

Just yesterday I talked to Sagewood's Gus about this second problem you mentioned because the FCB who lived in this new home had been whining about this since they moved in.  Gus said it could be due to the weather. The piping in the attic is quite long and it takes about 3 minutes to flush out whatever is in the pipeline. I tried to test right there but got distracted and didn't finish the test. He is sending over a plumbing guy to check it out anyway. I will update here later this week.

WillJoy said:
hello said:

I was only wrong about the odor from city water. It was the filter in the fridge that contributed to the bad taste in my case. It doesn't bother me now because the fridge smells worse than the water.

Just yesterday I talked to Sagewood's Gus about this second problem you mentioned because the FCB who lived in this new home had been whining about this since they moved in.  Gus said it could be due to the weather. The piping in the attic is quite long and it takes about 3 minutes to flush out whatever is in the pipeline. I tried to test right there but got distracted and didn't finish the test. He is sending over a plumbing guy to check it out anyway. I will update here later this week.

I am not certain this is from the weather because no matter how long I flush the water, it is still warm...  Anyways Id love to hear what the plumbing guy says.  I really wish I could figure out this odor in the water.  I actually ordered a water test that tests for a ton of stuff.  Costing me 300 bucks but well worth it to find out that I either a problem or I am crazy.

WillJoy said:
hello said:

Here is an update on the water temperature problem. I wasn't there when the plumber came so here is the explanation I got afterwards.

The builder installed a feature that allowed instant warm water. I don't know what it is called because we didn't actually ask for that upgrade. The cabinet under the sink was installed in such a way that it was pushing against the button that activates this feature. This also explains why the water heaters were running every few minutes even though no one was running hot water.

Back