Orchard Hills - Google Maps Updated

Legit949

Looking at the updated views of Orchard Hills through Google Satellite Maps, it appears Orchard Hills will add 1000's of homes in the future? Anyone have an idea how large this community will be? Thank you in advance...

Looks like the majority of the present and future homes in Orchard Hills will be slated Orchard Hills K-8. There's hope to expand the school from grades 5-8 to K-8...

Can people just walk in to the Groves neighborhood from Settlers Park?  It appears that there is no wall or Gate in that area.  If so what would be the purpose of the Gate/ Guard Gate?  Any idea when the Guards will start manning the gate?

Irvine Dream said:
Can people just walk in to the Groves neighborhood from Settlers Park?  It appears that there is no wall or Gate in that area.  If so what would be the purpose of the Gate/ Guard Gate?  Any idea when the Guards will start manning the gate?

Maybe the gates are just for show. Does Newport Coast and other high priced areas really need gates as well? I don't see alot of riff raffs running through these cities.

Whoa that is weird.  At first I thought that you can just follow the path around the perimeter of Settlers park and get into the Groves.

Upon closer inspection, they must have a gate (FOB required) where the red circle is?  Don't know for sure, but it wouldn't make sense otherwise.

25u5cht.jpg

Irvine Dream said:

Yes, people can walk directly from Settlers Park into the Groves neighborhood. There is no gate at Settlers Park to prevent pedestrians from entering. Irvine was planned as a pedestrian friendly community. Just like pedestrians can enter North Park without any gate restrictions. The guards will be at the entry gates, when the entire Orchard Hills development is fully completed, which is years away.

IMHO guard gated communities is just for show and they tend to appreciate more than non-guard gated communities.

Irvine Dream said:

Yes you are able to walk in. Most newer gated communities in Irvine are like this, even the ritzy Shady Canyon. It would be more of an anomaly if the community wasn't open to pedestrians.

What about Lambert Ranch? or Laguna Altura? Can you walk in there?

Some of the guard-gated communities are also not guard-gated all day, right?

asdfg said:

Yep.  Even if there's a pedestrian gate, there's no lock on the gate.

Once I was told that it's a Irvine City ordinance that there's can be no restriction for pedestrian in gated community.  Now if there's actual guard at the gate like Shady Canyon, I wonder if the guard will let any pedestrian in without checking proof of residency.

Irvine Dream said:
lnc said:
asdfg said:

Once I was told that it's a Irvine City ordinance that there's can be no restriction for pedestrian in gated community.  Now if there's actual guard at the gate like Shady Canyon, I wonder if the guard will let any pedestrian in without checking proof of residency.

But atleast on other gated and guard gated communities the pedestrian has to go through a gate and if a guard is there they will see the pedastrians.  But for Groves it looks like the Guard is upfront and there is a huge opening in the back next to the public park  so Guard wouldn't even know who is  going or coming.  May be Paris or other residents can chime in if there are plans to block that area off in the future.

Delete abovecomment:  Looks like a previous poster already confirmed that from Settlers Park you can just walk in to the Groves without even going through a gate.

Currently the plan is when 50% of Groves residents are moved in they will place a guard at both gates - that estimate time frame is December.

Eventually the plan is to install gates on the pedestrian side that is currently wide open but They will leave those gates unlocked to make it pedestrian friendly

As for the wide opening from settlers park the Groves residents are already pushing to place fencing of some sort there to create a separation between the park and our community. Not sure if they'll be able to do that but I know they are pushing for it.

They are also pissed about school traffic parking illegally on both sides of the settlers gate entrance when picking their kids up. Because it obstructs the gate entry and outgoing areas and there are clear signs for no parking there but parents ignore it. ESP the group using that gate are very adamant on getting parking enforcement to fine those parents so they don't do it. It doesn't affect us as much using the furrow gate but I see their point.

Paris said:
Currently the plan is when 50% of Groves residents are moved in they will place a guard at both gates - that estimate time frame is December.

Eventually the plan is to install gates on the pedestrian side that is currently wide open but They will leave those gates unlocked to make it pedestrian friendly

As for the wide opening from settlers park the Groves residents are already pushing to place fencing of some sort there to create a separation between the park and our community. Not sure if they'll be able to do that but I know they are pushing for it.

Thank You Paris for the complete and informative post.

Paris said:
They are also pissed about school traffic parking illegally on both sides of the settlers gate entrance when picking their kids up. Because it obstructs the gate entry and outgoing areas and there are clear signs for no parking there but parents ignore it. ESP the group using that gate are very adamant on getting parking enforcement to fine those parents so they don't do it. It doesn't affect us as much using the furrow gate but I see their point.

You can blame TUSD/TIC for lack of parking and poor traffic flow design around the busy OH school. This is a problem that dates back to 2012.
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/school-374228-parents-irvine.html
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/parents-375131-school-parking.html

mbsf84-mbsf7zorchardparkschooltraffic2.gif

That's another pet peeve, one would think that any schools these days need real planning and not have this issue, so who's to blame here?  Send them a copy of sim city...

Paris said:
Irvine Dream said:
lnc said:
asdfg said:

But atleast on other gated and guard gated communities the pedestrian has to go through a gate and if a guard is there they will see the pedastrians.  But for Groves it looks like the Guard is upfront and there is a huge opening in the back next to the public park  so Guard wouldn't even know who is  going or coming.  May be Paris or other residents can chime in if there are plans to block that area off in the future.

Delete abovecomment:  Looks like a previous poster already confirmed that from Settlers Park you can just walk in to the Groves without even going through a gate.

Was this the latest information of the last HOA board meeting in June, which I missed? All of the other HOA board meetings which I have attended, they stated that the gates will not be manned until it the Groves is fully developed, e.g. Village 2, 3, etc.

AW said:
That's another pet peeve, one would think that any schools these days need real planning and not have this issue, so who's to blame here?  Send them a copy of sim city...

May be TUSD doesn't care because there is no other alternative.  They have been dealing with the same issues since Pioneer Middle School was built

Irvine Dream said:
AW said:

May be TUSD doesn't care because there is no other alternative.  They have been dealing with the same issues since Pioneer Middle School was built

I don't think it's completely unique to that school. I remember having those issues when my kids went to Santiago Hills. I only dropped my kids off (they walked home). I remember the principal yelling at me when I told my kids to get out and walk a few steps to school instead of waiting for everyone to move their parked cars along the sidewalk. I gave HER a few choice words of my own for allowing people to park their cars in a drop off area when others were trying to get their kids to school on time on their way to work. After that, I dropped them off on Christamon and watched them walk by the parked cars.

Ready2Downsize said:
Irvine Dream said:
AW said:

I don't think it's completely unique to that school. I remember having those issues when my kids went to Santiago Hills. I only dropped my kids off (they walked home). I remember the principal yelling at me when I told my kids to get out and walk a few steps to school instead of waiting for everyone to move their parked cars along the sidewalk. I gave HER a few choice words of my own for allowing people to park their cars in a drop off area when others were trying to get their kids to school on time on their way to work. After that, I dropped them off on Christamon and watched them walk by the parked cars.

What Irvine (and Tustin) really needs is a better school bus system so that there aren't hordes of parents picking up/dropping off everyday at the school. It would greatly cut down on surface street traffic in Irvine too in the morning and afternoon. I was shocked when I moved here from the East Coast that there is no school bus (or barely any school bus service).

Back