Great Park Neighborhoods 1-N & 4

Jace said:
is there going to be any commercial area in great park?  if yes, where?
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/broadcom-654124-campus-new.html

Construction is slated to begin this month on Broadcom?s new corporate headquarters at Great Park Neighborhoods.

The Irvine-based tech giant announced in late 2014 it would move its headquarters to Great Park Neighborhoods after agreeing to buy land for a new 1.1 million-square-foot campus, with the option to expand up to 2 million square feet.

Broadcom said Tuesday one of its subsidiaries had closed the $128 million land deal with Heritage Fields El Toro LLC, of which Five Point Communities is the development manager.

The campus, the company said in 2014, will be designed by M. Arthur Gensler Jr. & Associates Inc. and built by DPR Construction.

Occupancy of the new campus is expected by late 2017 or early 2018, the company said in a statement. Broadcom is most widely known for its communication chips often found in smartphones.

Broadcom?s headquarters will be the first commercial development at Great Park Neighborhoods, a mixed-use, master planned community.

The Broadcom campus is no more in the "Great Park Neighborhoods" than the Amtrak Station is.

I suppose that sliver of land was part of the Lennar / 5Point deal but it's quite far removed from most of the other residential area's in GP.

I looked at the Playa Vista layouts and was not impressed. If I were in LA, NYC, or SF, maybe it would appeal to me given the density/cost restraints. In Irvine, I would rather spend my money on a traditional home.

iacrenter said:
I looked at the Playa Vista layouts and was not impressed. If I were in LA, NYC, or SF, maybe it would appeal to me given the density/cost restraints. In Irvine, I would rather spend my money on a traditional home.

Agree. This is trying to create these urban loft type products, but in the end, Irvine is still a car centric suburban city, without the transport infrastructure to accommodate real urban density. You pack people in, but they all still need cars to get about their daily lives, and it creates a huge traffic nightmare.

I think the traffic sucks as is, with all these new houses plus greenwood and baker ranch... Pretty soon I'll just uber to everywhere even to work and the market.

Back