Yulin Dog Meat Eating Festival

Paris167

Have you guys heard of this dog eating festival in China? It's been blowing up on my FB news feed because this atrocious festival is about to take place (it's sadly an annual event). They apparently kill some 10,000 dogs, torture and abuse them, skin them alive etc etc
It's so nauseating, I can't even look at any of the photos on Google. It's so sad! How can people do this?
Fine eat dog meat but at least kill them in a humane manner. Who are the animals here - the dogs or humans?
Sorry had to vent - it just broke my heart 😢
Sometimes we need to stick our heads outside of this perfect little Irvine bubble to see the real world atrocities taking place daily.

If I were you, I would not read anything about how the meat you eat gets to your table.  I love dogs, but situations like what happened in charleston concern me more.

wrigley said:
If I were you, I would not read anything about how the meat you eat gets to your table.  I love dogs, but situations like what happened in charleston concern me more.

I don't eat dog meat so it certainly is not making its way to my dinner table. TO ME, this is an atrocious occurrence just as much as the Charleston tragedy. Everyone has their own priorities regarding world issues. To me the environmental impact of human over-population and animal rights are just as important as acts of racism and violence against the human race.  You cannot tell someone what should concern them more - that is the prerogative of an individual to decide that for themselves. 

I don't really see the big deal in eating dog meat.

Then again, each person has their own beliefs on which animals are "safe" to consume. 

Bunnies are cuter than dogs and I'd eat a bunny.

Well, bunnies are basically pests, farmers usually try to get rid of them if they can since they damage crops.  Some even go so far as sticking their double barrel shotgun or sticks of dynamites down the carrot holes to only blow up in their face. That wasally wabbit...

Dogs are companions, and even some of the hieroglyphics show some worshipping of doglike drawings long ago in Egypt.

That being said, I'd be more concerned with crazy people or extemists here who have access to guns than a different culture consuming questionable food across the ocean (my dog is staring at me as I'm typing this, haha)

Coleman said:
I don't really see the big deal in eating dog meat.

Then again, each person has their own beliefs on which animals are "safe" to consume. 

Bunnies are cuter than dogs and I'd eat a bunny.

It's not about eating the dog meat, it's about how they treat the animal before they consume it's meat - burning alive, skinning alive, beating to death etc. It's disturbing. And they are stealing people's pet dogs to take to this festival to eat them.  :mad: so these aren't just street dogs - they are domesticated pets.

We talked about this back in 2011 on the old dog BBQ thread.  IHS was saying that Chinese culture is on a lower tier than Western culture because Chinese still eat dog.  I asked him if it's ok to eat cow, then what's wrong with dog.  His retort was that dogs have higher brain function and are companions for people, and not food.  Eating dog is low class.

In anycase, he was trying to make the point that mainland Chinese are low class because their culture still allow dogs to be eaten.  And then he posted all the dog bbq pics.  I've been to China.  I've seen the caged dogs being driven on a flat bed to a slaughter house.  They looked sad....Years later I tried it.....don't remember what it tastes like anymore.

IHS is from HK so he was born with innate hate for the mainlanders.

Paris said:
Sometimes we need to stick our heads outside of this perfect little Irvine bubble to see the real world atrocities taking place daily.

Cows is GOD in Indian culture/region.  how dare you guys eating their GOD. :)

Paris said:
burning alive, skinning alive, beating to death etc.
I plan to eat IHO tonight because he has most meat (self claimed :) ).  However, i am NOT going to burning him alive, skinning him alive, beating him to death.  I am going kill him in the most HUMANE MANNER POSSIBLE.  and he should THANK me.

yaliu07 said:
Paris said:

Cows is GOD in Indian culture/region.  how dare you guys eating their GOD. :)

Paris said:
burning alive, skinning alive, beating to death etc.
I plan to eat IHO tonight because he has most meat (self claimed :) ).  However, i am NOT going to burning him alive, skinning him alive, beating him to death.  I am going kill him in the most HUMANE MANNER POSSIBLE.  and he should THANK me.

This coming from the guy scared of ghosts and cemeteries 😉

Paris said:
BEST NEWS EVER!! The festival was cancelled!! A victory for dog lovers every where  :D ;D

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2011/09/30/world/asia/dog-meat-festival-is-canceled-in-china.html?_r=0&referrer=

you do realize the news is 09/30/2011

yaliu07 said:
Paris said:
BEST NEWS EVER!! The festival was cancelled!! A victory for dog lovers every where  :D ;D

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2011/09/30/world/asia/dog-meat-festival-is-canceled-in-china.html?_r=0&referrer=

Whoops! I think I pasted the wrong article but word was they are canceling it.  Now I need to go find the updated info  ;D

AW said:
Well, bunnies are basically pests, farmers usually try to get rid of them if they can since they damage crops.  Some even go so far as sticking their double barrel shotgun or sticks of dynamites down the carrot holes to only blow up in their face. That wasally wabbit...
Dogs are companions, and even some of the hieroglyphics show some worshipping of doglike drawings long ago in Egypt.
That being said, I'd be more concerned with crazy people or extemists here who have access to guns than a different culture consuming questionable food across the ocean (my dog is staring at me as I'm typing this, haha)

Years ago farmers and ranchers used to allow hunters on their property, but today they want $$ for guided hunt.  Specific to rabbits, the legal ways to take them is to either shoot them, trap them (must be killed and not relocated), or poison.  I do not recall the name of the poison that is allowed, but it causes internal bleeding where the rabbit would cough blood and scream in agony for days before they die.  It's for this reason that the City of Mission Viejo authorized shooting of rabbits by air rifle rather than poison.

In lesser developed countries you can expect wide disparity in livestock handling and slaughter techniques.  China did not have Temple Grandin to advocate a more humane method of livestock slaughter that also had financial benefits (less animal injury).  As Chinese companies purchase meat and livestock companies like Smithfield abroad, they will eventually import modern methods back to China.

The consumption of dog meat is a regional and not mainstream culinary tradition.  China's own pet-animal welfare groups will go protest.  As a meat-eater I actually object to depopulating local rabbits, deer, dog, fish, etc.  The California mule deer population has declined from some 2 million down to 400,000 over the past few decades, while the wild Pig population exploded.  IMO if you want to hunt, consider hunting pigs or varmint shoot ground squirrels up North instead.  If we depopulate the local animal population, they won't be there to supplement your emergency food stocks when SHTF.  Nor should rabbit and dogs be considered your primary emergency food source.  Rabbits and squirrels are at best, 500 calorie protein bars in fur, not counting the fleas and diseases.

On that note...  some local Walmarts have started carrying Bridgford ready to eat sandwiches in the camping section.  They come in 2 sandwiches per pack for $5: http://www.bridgfordfoodservice.net/ready_to_eat/

These sandwiches will store for 3 years @ 80 F or 6 months @ 100 F.  They're basically MRE sandwiches and Walmart sells May 2015 production run batch, so they're good until at least 2017.  I've personally taste-tested the "French Toast" and the "BBQ Sandwich" products.  Like Wendy's old commercials with Clara Peller, "Where's the beef".  The packaging shows a lot of meat but in actuality it's pretty thin, but tastes OK.  I'd buy a few cases and in 3 years when I need to rotate stock, I'll just serve them to July 4th BBQ guests.

Paris said:
yaliu07 said:
Paris said:

Whoops! I think I pasted the wrong article but word was they are canceling it.  Now I need to go find the updated info  ;D
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...espite-government-promises-to-crack-down.html
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20150622/as--china-eating_dog-289f8060ed.html

I'm thinking a lot of the stories are exaggerated but yes they do eat dogs in Asia.  It's just a culture thing.  At the end of the day, most of us consume animals.  Whether you feel there is a proper way to execute them.. that's another story.  I know there are laws here about how we should be executing the animals we eat here.. but I know for a fact not all of them follow protocol.  So that piece of chicken you are eating very well could have died in a slow burning death somewhere.  Food for thought. 

irvinehomeowner said:
It may be just me but I keep seeing the title as "Yaliu Dog Meat...".

same here

it would be funny if the Vets used this as fuel.. Yaliu doesn't want vet cemetery.. oh btw.. eats dogs. 

this is pretty damn sad. i dont care if its a cultural thing. it doesnt make it right or acceptable. common sense tells you dont kill any animal for consumption by skinning it alive.  im sure there are farmers here who dont follow all the rules as seen by some of those under cover stings by PETA but we are light years away from where China is.  Hopefully the animal lovers in China make progress on how to kill animals for consumption in a more humane manner. 

Maybe next year ill go to Yulin and skin of those fuckers alive, cut their dick and balls off and shove it down their fucking throat while they are still alive.

Back