Irvine City Manager salary

WTTCHMN

The most shocking thing in this story is how much he gets paid: $262,475 for a city employee.  Irvine is turning into the City of Bell.

www.ocregister.com/articles/joyce-662439-city-council.html

What would be a fair salary?

BTW, that is not even total compensation. You may end up being even more outraged.  ;)

eyephone said:
I just came across the 2014 compensation of Irvine's city council and executive staff.

Check it out:
http://www.cityofirvine.org/cityhall/citymanager/compensation.asp

Why is there two assistant city managers?

This is outrageous.  He makes $409K per year!

And the "Assistant" City Manager for the Great Park makes $345K.  Give me that job.  Over 300K to "manage' a balloon and a merry-go-round and a garden that no one uses because the soil is toxic.

WTTCHMN said:
The most shocking thing in this story is how much he gets paid: $262,475 for a city employee.  Irvine is turning into the City of Bell.

www.ocregister.com/articles/joyce-662439-city-council.html

Irvine is really no different than other cities around us relative to city employee salaries.  What's perhaps even more impressive are the firefighters getting 1/4 million $$$ in compensation for working 3 days a week.

Regarding the City Manager, is easy to sit on the outside looking in and say he's overcompensated.  But I'm not sure you could pay me enough to deal with our dysfunctional City Counsil.

Joe Irvine said:
Regarding the City Manager, is easy to sit on the outside looking in and say he's overcompensated.  But I'm not sure you could pay me enough to deal with our dysfunctional City Counsil.

Well once you to get into Managerial positions with salaries above $100K or so, are there any jobs that doesn't have hassles?  Atleast with the higher pay you can buy a house in Irvine and live the good dream :-X

So, why do the mayor and city council members earn so much less than those other positions?

Well, it used to be that you wouldn't get rich working for the government (it was just for the comfortable retirement plans and the "can sit on your axx all day and can't be fired" type work) but I guess that's no longer true.  :p

irvinehusky said:
So, why do the mayor and city council members earn so much less than those other positions?

Those are part time positions; I'm not sure about Krom and Schott, but Lalloway and Shea have pretty busy day jobs.

I think this is on par with other government city jobs.. they just get paid grips as long as they rub each others bung hole. 

Happiness said:
WTTCHMN said:
and a garden that no one uses because the soil is toxic.

Actually, the garden is run by the local food bank and the vegetables grown there are given to the needy.

Great, so we're paying someone $345,000 to manage a garden of toxic vegetables used to feed homeless people.

All kidding aside, it would actually be much cheaper for the food bank to just buy the vegetables at Whole Foods than growing things themselves.  Small scale farms are just not economical.

Not sure if that's the best analogy as a lot of ceo's also started their company, entrepreneurial

And then there are ceo's that's hired on to the position, probably with some impressive background

Either case haters gonna hate, this guy makes a ton of money, driving city car while intoxicated, hate, hate, hate

Applying for a high paying job for the city almost sounds like you need to hob nob with the politics. And some other folks on the city board can call in for a favor. 
Ok. I've just finished watching house of cards and feels like it applies at the city level

What is there to 'manage' in a city like Irvine?

Who determines the pay grade and who handles this guy's performance review?

Our city council is not any worse than any other cities. At least they are not leeching the tax payers.

Joe Irvine said:

WillJoy said:

Our city council is not any worse than any other cities. At least they are not leeching the tax payers.

What's to manage in Irvine?  Are you kidding me?

Performance review is handled by City Council.

"Our city council is not any worse than any other cities. At least they are not leeching the tax payers."  This actually made me laugh :)

Joe Irvine said:
WillJoy said:

What's to manage in Irvine?  Are you kidding me?

Performance review is handled by City Council.

"Our city council is not any worse than any other cities. At least they are not leeching the tax payers."  This actually made me laugh :)

Tax dollars at work

High salary and benefits to the city manager, $200 million spent at the great park (2), city of irvine over paying the fire authority by around $134 million according to the article(1)

(1)http://voiceofoc.org/2013/09/irvine-council-clashes-over-payments-to-fire-authority/

(2)http://m.ocregister.com/articles/audit-645453-city-firm.html

Back