Cox internet speeds

shadyoc

I have the Cox Internet Preferred "50 Mbps".  Did a test thru speedtest.net and getting only 30 Mbps.  So Cox probably shares bandwidth so when its busy, it is lower and when it is not busy, it is higher.  They are trying to increase my pricing by 50%.  They keep jacking up the price every 6 months.  I called to cancel, trying to see if they would honor discounting but surprisingly, they just scheduled to disconnect it.  Anyone else have luck with loyalty dept?

Looking at UVerse but their pricing is about expensive.  Looks like their "45 Mbps" Power Package is $65/month.  But they claim it is a dedicated fiber optic so should be faster than Cox's "50 Mbps" Preferred package.

Were you connected directly to the router?

Speeds will vary based on type of connection (wired/wireless), type of router etc etc.

There is some Speedtest thread around here and most get what is promised.

Cox tends to overpromise and underdeliver. Something is wrong with your modem or router or an issue with the line if you are getting that much underperformance.

I'm an IT consultant and hate AT&T U-Verse and DSL. They are totally dependent on your distance from the central office, unlike cable and true fiber (Verizon FIOS).

irvinehomeowner said:

Speeds will vary based on type of connection (wired/wireless), type of router etc etc.

No, not connected directly to router, it was wireless.

SubSolar said:
Cox tends to overpromise and underdeliver. Something is wrong with your modem or router or an issue with the line if you are getting that much underperformance.

I'm an IT consultant and hate AT&T U-Verse and DSL. They are totally dependent on your distance from the central office, unlike cable and true fiber (Verizon FIOS).

ATT also charges another $7 extra per month because they said you have to use their Gatewway modem/router.  They said you cannot use your own.
What the heck?  Anyone using ATT Uverse can justify the $72/month ?

shadyoc said:
irvinehomeowner said:

if you connect direct, you will see the 50mps.

shadyoc said:
irvinehomeowner said:

This isn't a good test then unless you were like running 802.11AC and 5 feet or less from the router.

shadyoc said:
I have the Cox Internet Preferred "50 Mbps".  Did a test thru speedtest.net and getting only 30 Mbps.  So Cox probably shares bandwidth so when its busy, it is lower and when it is not busy, it is higher.  They are trying to increase my pricing by 50%.  They keep jacking up the price every 6 months.  I called to cancel, trying to see if they would honor discounting but surprisingly, they just scheduled to disconnect it.  Anyone else have luck with loyalty dept?

Looking at UVerse but their pricing is about expensive.  Looks like their "45 Mbps" Power Package is $65/month.  But they claim it is a dedicated fiber optic so should be faster than Cox's "50 Mbps" Preferred package.

It's been a while since I did a speedtest so just did it... 64 down and 14 up -- I think this is what I got the last time I checked. I'm also getting the 50 Mbps package.

I've had a lot of luck the past 2 years looking at the bundled packages and deals online and calling the sales dept to have that discount applied to my account.

I have young kids and don't really watch TV so I have the basic phone + preferred internet for around $52/month.

Get the salespersons name and phone so you can call back every 6 or 12 months to reapply the discount when it expires...

Hey guys, I have a Nighthawk router and a Motorola Docsis 3.0 modem.  I used to have Cox Preferred Internet (50 Mbps) and was getting around 40 Mbps downloads wireless speeds.  I upgraded to Premier Internet (100 Mbps) and just did a speedtest.  I was expecting 70-80 Mbps downloads wireless speeds but instead, am only getting about 50 Mbps.  How is that possible? 

2 laptops and 2 smartphones but only 1 laptop connected to the network at once.  Usually doing youtube or Netflix so nothing crazy.  Anyone have Premier getting such low 50 Mbps speeds?  I might downgrade since I am paying more for just 10 Mbps download speeds more.  Thoughts?

Try a non wireless test to see actual cable speeds. Wireless is always slower unless you are 5 ft from router.

SubSolar said:
Try a non wireless test to see actual cable speeds. Wireless is always slower unless you are 5 ft from router.

Hard wired in.  Test shows 62 Mbps, not even close to 100 Mbps.  Help?

Try eliminating the router from the equation, just plug directly from modem to computer. Will probably have to power cycle modem when doing this. If the test is still on the slow side at www.speedtest.net, it has to be modem or something on Cox's end that's the problem. Unless there's something severely wrong with your computer.

Just talked to Cox. Apparently gigabit was supposed to launch in Irvine on July 3rd but was delayed. So hopefully any day now.

Hello All,
I am a new Irvine Home Owner moving in Northwood neighborhood. I have a question re. best Internet service provider in my area/Irvine in general. I have Cox and ATT both provide service so could anyone help me decide which one to go with? I currently reside in Anaheim and have been with Time Warner Cable which worked great.
[/font][/font]

AT&T Uverse is slower, but probably cheaper. If you are used to Time Warner cable, Cox is a similar experience. I currently get over 100 mbps. They are supposed to offer gigabit by the end of the year for $99 a month.

Google Fiber also announced they will be coming too, which is also gigabit. But won't be for awhile.

Back