Toddler learned "I don't like that!" and "Stop it!" from preschool

_echo

Our 2.5-year-old just started going to school. After she came home today, she kept repeating "I don't like that!" and "Stop it!" by herself. Obviously it's something new she just learned from school, because she's never said these words before, and we don't usually say things like this at home.

Could this be something that a teacher might have said to her? Or another kid? Has any of you parents had this type of experience?

I personally don't see anything wrong with "I dont like that". It's much better than the screaming "no". The next step is for her to tell you why she doesn't like it. 

I was expecting a funny youtube video from your title :)

As for your child learning those phrases, I wouldn't worry much, that's why you send her to school right?  Need some real world interactions without the smothering attention of parents.  At least you know she will be vocal to bullies when the time comes.

_echo said:
Our 2.5-year-old just started going to school. After she came home today, she kept repeating "I don't like that!" and "Stop it!" by herself. Obviously it's something new she just learned from school, because she's never said these words before, and we don't usually say things like this at home.

Could this be something that a teacher might have said to her? Or another kid? Has any of you parents had this type of experience?

they are going to learn a lot more than that my friend.

Thank you guys for your input. If it's learned from another kid, I am less worried. If a teacher was using this kind of language routinely when she interacts with the children, I'd have issue with that.

+1 vote "From another kid"

Rather than shouting "NO!" mine now shouts "NO THANK YOU!" thanks to preschool  ;D

It's a response to bullying that most schools teach. STAR response?? I forgot, been too long.
Stop that.
I don't like that.
Why are you doing that?
Then the kids are expected to report to the teacher..

Learned a lot from this thread. Thank you my TI fellows! Thanks to Cubic for pointing to the standard bully responses. Yes, as a way for kids to express themselves, I am grateful that schools teach that. Sounds like it's time to get out of the soft and gentle baby model and into the cold cruel toddler world  :)

@Peppy - The "NO THANK YOU!" is so funny. Thanks for sharing that. I can totally see mine saying that one day :D

In the toddler stage you either do the punking or you get punked. Its only a matter of time before my daughter gets sent home for saying racial slurs towards her classmates :)

qwerty said:
In the toddler stage you either do the punking or you get punked. Its only a matter of time before my daughter gets sent home for saying racial slurs towards her classmates :)

Picking up a racial slurs you at least understand where it comes from and how easily kids pick you words and phrases.

Some of the other stuff you're just kind of slack jawed not comprehending how that even comes up

Update:

The most recent lines have been:

"I need that!!"

and

"Don't need that!!!"
(followed by snatching whatever you are offering to her out of your hand and throwing it on the floor)

That's great that your little one is learning to use his/her words. And I agree with other moms/dads that words like "I don't like that" and "Stop it" are necessary to stand up for themselves around other kids. Some kids don't learn how to use their words to fight back and just hit/bite. I would say you have a very mature 2.5yr old and that they are doing very well in preschool.

Back