City of Irvine Birthday Party Packages

Has anyone booked a kids birthday party package offered by the City of Irvine before? If so, how was the party experience?  The price looks reasonable, but I am not sure what to expect in terms of children's activities at these parties.

Thanks in advance.

Yes, that's the one.  I can do the planning and setup/cleanup myself and have done it in the past.  However, I am short on free time, so the less I need to do, the better.

Do you guys invite all the kids in the classroom or selected ones? I know the PC answer is everyone.

(This is for preschool)

eyephone said:
Do you guys invite all the kids in the classroom or selected ones? I know the PC answer is everyone.

(This is for preschool)

Depends on how many kids are allowed to be at the party. If we are only allowed 20 kids then just selected ones.

Last year was the first year we invited our daughter's preschool classmates to her birthday party.  We invited about half of the class, mostly girls.  It was difficult to decide because our daughter would say different names each time we asked her.  This year she is older (turning 5) and definitely knows who she wants to invite.

From what I've heard, most parents don't invite everyone in the class.

moonchild508 said:
Last year was the first year we invited our daughter's preschool classmates to her birthday party.  We invited about half of the class, mostly girls.  It was difficult to decide because our daughter would say different names each time we asked her.  This year she is older (turning 5) and definitely knows who she wants to invite.

From what I've heard, most parents don't invite everyone in the class.

What did you buy to eat for the kids?
I was thinking cheese pizza, since some people don't eat meat.

Cheese pizzas are a good choice.  We ordered both cheese and pepperoni pizzas for the kids, and had a lot of leftover.  Kids don't eat much at parties...they are usually too distracted.  They will drink a lot of juice and save room for the cake, though. :)

Cheese pizzas are always under ordered just like in Home Alone.  Little kids taste buds are super sensitive.  My kid use to complain pepperroni is spicy??!  Ordering for kids parties the ratio of cheese to anything else should be 2:1.

Believe it or not... Cali rolls are a big hit at kid parties.

I don't recommend it but every one I go to, I see them get eaten up by kids (I thought it was the parents).

Or maybe it's just the kid parties I go to... because I think deluxe pizzas also are popular.

For preschool, I can't imagine this happening but this is what happened to me a few months ago.  I was waiting in my car with my kid until the door to his after school activity was open.  A mom comes up and asks me if I'm the father of "so and so" so I said "yes".  Then, she said she was inviting everyone in the class to her son's birthday.  So, I thanked her and told her I would consult the boss (wife) but I told her I didn't see any reason why my kid couldn't go.  Then she handed me the invitation and I thought that was that.  But then the kid started shouting "Don't come, don't come, don't come, I don't want you to come".  Then, the kid reached in through my window and snatched the invitation away.  The mom scolds the kid and tells him to stop that because it was rude.  Then she hands me the invitation again.  Then the kids started the "Don't come" chant again and ripped the invitation out of my hands again.  By this time I didn't know what to say or do but I was probably looking up in the sky hoping they would go away.  :p  But she gave me the invitation again.  Needless to say, we didn't go.

I guess the moral is if your kid is older, consult him/her too before you as a parent decide to invite everyone?

eyephone said:

(This is for preschool)

I've never had to go through this. But what I had envisioned doing was taking a cake/cupcakes/pizza to school and have them celebrate the birthday with the entire class and then have a separate party for family.

Do they do let kids celebrate birthdays in their classrooms?

qwerty said:
I've never had to go through this. But what I had envisioned doing was taking a cake/cupcakes/pizza to school and have them celebrate the birthday with the entire class and then have a separate party for family.

Do they do let kids celebrate birthdays in their classrooms?

The food allowed depends on the school.  Some won't allow cupcakes or other sugary treats but most allow pizza.  I personally think pricey birthday parties are a waste of money.  We've been invited to ones that have cost $1000+ (for a preschooler!!!).  I can think of 1000 other ways to spend that money but to each their own.  The gifts is another issue - you get a bunch of toys that you may or may not like.  The ones you don't like, you have to spend a week running all over town, returning & exchanging IF the gifter remembered a gift receipt.  The ones you keep just take up space in the house.  Yea, I'm a no fun mom :)

I totally agree that the birthday parties are more and more expensive these days. But having recently gone through some headache with my late teen first born, I convince myself that I should be happy if my money can still buy happiness.

Back