Stonegate pros and cons

lacoste

long time reader here. i'm thinking about moving to Stonegate. a question for residents. what are the pros and cons?

negatives:

lot size
overcrowding at Stonegate ES (anyone can update?)
lot size
facilities pale in comparison to neighboring Woodbury (and higher mello too compared to pre 2010 Woodbury)
lot size
FCBs
lot size
Bowerman land fill entrance's high visibility off Portola
lot size

Positives:

new
apartments border busy Irvine blvd and blocks out noise
JOST (only if you're near the Jeffrey side)

We just moved to Stonegate. Not too crowded yet but they are just starting to bulid out Lafayette and looks like KB home's is building in the Jeffrey and Portola corner.  We'll see in a year how crowded it becomes. Right now when we go to the pool never had an issue getting a chair or swimming laps.

Stonegate is meh - average in every sense except the on-site elementary. but the good thing there is no glaring weakness.
Newer and better floor plans than WB, (perceived) more convenient location than PS and PP, more affordable than OH and all IUSD, not freeway close like CV..

there is not much room for appreciation but the downside is limited as long as the elementary is good. Also houses not near Portola/Sand Canyon will retain the value better.

If I buy a new house today it would be in OH. But since we bought near the bottom of the housing market, at lot that we like, a size that we are comfortable with staying long term, and now with non-refinancable 30 year fixed rate of 3.25%, no complaints.

Stonegate is more expensive than almost any surrounding neighborhood because the elementary school was ranked #1. That ranking is temporary and eventually the next neighborhood to be rated #1 will have the higher home values.

If you like to buy low and sell high, stay away from Stonegate.

Cons:
Entrance of Landfill
Pretty far out there, only PS is further but can be viewed as a Pro since freeway is further away as well
Looks really average and not that cheap
Elementary school is crowded (temporary...?)

Pros:
Not directly behind landfill like PS
Far from freeway noise
Not close to any jails

After living here for a bit of time...my observations

Pros:

1)  Good layout with parks and lots of greenery.  Good for walking/biking.
2)  Stonegate Elementary
3)  Good exits/entrances with access to Portola Blvd, Jeffrey, Sand Canyon, and Irvine Blvd
4)  Very quiet.
5)  Not as dense as WB.
6)  Far away from freeway.

Cons:

1)  No shopping center within community thus trips to stores/restaurants require driving
2)  Distance from freeway...especially with the buildup in WB and CV.  Bad lights on Jeffrey and Sand Canyon don't help.
3)  Small plots
4)  Not as many amenties as WBs
5)  Distance from Marketplace/District/DJ.  But relatively close to Spectrum.

Personally, I like Stonegate slightly more than WB and much more CV and PS.  YMMV

Irvinecommuter said:

Pros:

2)  Stonegate Elementary
3)  Good exits/entrances with access to Portola Blvd, Jeffrey, Sand Canyon, and Irvine Blvd
4)  Very quiet.
5)  Not as dense as WB.

Cons:

1)  No shopping center within community thus trips to stores/restaurants require driving
2)  Distance from freeway...especially with the buildup in WB and CV.  Bad lights on Jeffrey and Sand Canyon don't help.
3)  Small plots

Personally, I like Stonegate slightly more than WB and much more CV and PS.  YMMV
Yay... you're still alive!!!

Almost thought you moved to Johns Creek.

irvinehomeowner said:
Irvinecommuter said:

Pros:

2)  Stonegate Elementary
4)  Very quiet.
5)  Not as dense as WB.

Cons:

3)  Small plots

Yay... you're still alive!!!

Almost thought you moved to Johns Creek.

Thanks!  Just busy...I think Johns Creek is too nice for me.

Irvinecommuter said:
Cons:

Nice write-up. One disagreement:

Distance from Stonegate elementary to:

Marketplace Target: 9min, 3.6mi
Spectrum Target: 12min, 5.2mi (no toll roads)
The District Target: 15min, 8.6mi (no toll roads)

Other options:
Foothill Ranch Target: 14min, 7.4mi (no toll roads)
Crossroads Target: 15min, 6.3mi

paperboyNC said:
Irvinecommuter said:
Cons:

Nice write-up. One disagreement:

Distance from Stonegate elementary to:

Marketplace Target: 9min, 3.6mi
Spectrum Target: 12min, 5.2mi (no toll roads)
The District Target: 15min, 8.6mi (no toll roads)

Other options:
Foothill Ranch Target: 14min, 7.4mi (no toll roads)
Crossroads Target: 15min, 6.3mi

I guess it depends on the lights on Irvine Blvd v. Sand Canyon but Spectrum is closer than the FR Target or the Crossroad Target in my experience.  You can get down to the freeway and get off the next exit.  FR Target is quite a trek even with Irvine Blvd now available.

However, I never go to Spectrum just for the Target.  Too much traffic near the Spectrum.

The California Court Company said:
eh I live in SG but I will say WB is definitely more beautiful than SG.

OC_relocation said:
StoneGate is beautiful. Its much better than Cypress village, WB, and PS.
No comparison.

WB is better looking but I think that has to do with the trees/vegetation being grown.  I remember WB when it first opened and it was pretty bare looking.  WB is also pretty dense.

Ah, I see. So, you do live in Stonegate. That makes sense. That must be the reason why you got so upset 3 years ago when I said I didn't care much for Stonegate (based on my personal experiences), and the hatred for me was born, which is palpable until this very day. I can't believe you get so upset, though, when you yourself call the neighborhood "meh".

lacoste said:
long time reader here. i'm thinking about moving to Stonegate. a question for residents. what are the pros and cons?

Sounds like when I'm listen to am radio. Long time listener, first time caller. ;)

Do you have 20% or more for down payment? Why are you hesitating to buy?

Because I am fair and balanced. Plus I have more problem with you having sour grapes toward Irvine in general and actively promoting that middle of nowhere white flight destination homeless book club high registered sex offender ratio crime rampant community known as foothill ranch

SoCal said:

Ah, I see. So, you do live in Stonegate. That makes sense. That must be the reason why you got so upset 3 years ago when I said I didn't care much for Stonegate (based on my personal experiences), and the hatred for me was born, which is palpable until this very day. I can't believe you get so upset, though, when you yourself call the neighborhood "meh".

Because I am fair and balanced. Plus I have more problem with you having sour grapes toward Irvine in general and actively promoting that middle of nowhere white flight destination homeless book club high registered sex offender ratio crime rampant community known as foothill ranch

LOL!!!!! Yeah, that sounds "fair and balanced" to me. Who has the sour grapes, again?  ;) Whatever you say. As I've said before, I don't hate Irvine. Just like everybody else, there are certain pockets I don't like. There are some parts I do. Calm down, you'll live longer. 

The northwest area where KB and Richmond American is building near the JOST is a nice area.  One can argue that the landfill is nearby but nonetheless, the open parks is pretty good.

But is it me or does it seem like mainlander Chinese and Koreans are the majority of Stonegate residences? 

lovingit said:
The northwest area where KB and Richmond American is building near the JOST is a nice area.  One can argue that the landfill is nearby but nonetheless, the open parks is pretty good.

But is it me or does it seem like mainlander Chinese and Koreans are the majority of Stonegate residences?

Mainlander Chinese and Asian Indians predominately.  More Koreans in WB and CV for some reason.

Back