Greenwood vs Beacon Park

Round 1: Greenwood vs Beacon Park

• Greenwood

Votes: 16 48.5%
  • Beacon Park

Votes: 17 51.5%

• Total voters

test

A tale of two bases.  Marine Corps Air Station Tustin vs Marine Corps Air Station El Toro.  Tustin Legacy vs Great Park.

Round 1: Greenwood vs Beacon Park

toxicity: greenwood, MCAS tustin was not a superfund site
price: greenwood
taxes: equal
schools: beacon park, though this could even out in 4-5 years with the new elementary opening up at TL in fall of 2016 and a new middle school and high school being built, all with an emphasis on STEM

Toxicity: subjective
Schools: subjective
Price: haven't been released
Taxes: probably equal but really hard to do blanket apples to apples right now without more info.

Could someone draw up a map showing the locations of these two areas? I am not a good visualizer.

SoCal said:
Could someone draw up a map showing the locations of these two areas? I am not a good visualizer.

here you go socal

iw6ezc.png

irvinehomeowner said:
Don't forget, no MRs in Greenwood.

"The new Mello-Roos tax supported by the board Monday would apply to all homes built on vacant land roughly between Jamboree Road and Red Hill Avenue, east of Barranca Parkway and west of Edinger Avenue.

Owners of single-family homes there will pay from $1,325 to $2,050 in extra taxes for up to 40 years, depending on the size of the home. Townhome owners will pay from $875 up to $1,250 in taxes each year, while apartment owners will pay $600 and low-income homeowners will pay $215.

The district plans to hold a public hearing April 20 on forming the Mello-Roos district, which doesn?t require voter approval since no residents live there yet. Before that hearing, a TUSD team will draft a report on what new facilities are needed to accommodate growth for Tustin Legacy and how much those developments are estimated to cost.

The district is expected to vote on the plan May 18. Then it would head to the City Council for final approval May 19, since Tony Soria, chief financial officer for TUSD, said a small portion of the tax revenues would potentially support other public infrastructure needed in the area."
http://m.ocregister.com/articles/school-652286-district-tustin.html

More greed by TUSD. Look at how they shafted OH residents--$200M in bonds!
http://www.talkirvine.com/index.php/topic,10941.msg214219.html#msg214219

I bet they will also add "premiums" to this bond. They will kick back some money to the bankers/lawyers while TUSD will suck up the rest. Tax payers/home owners will foot the bill like usual.
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/bonds-609532-district-schools.html

eyephone said:
irvinehomeowner said:

"The new Mello-Roos tax supported by the board Monday would apply to all homes built on vacant land roughly between Jamboree Road and Red Hill Avenue, east of Barranca Parkway and west of Edinger Avenue.

Owners of single-family homes there will pay from $1,325 to $2,050 in extra taxes for up to 40 years, depending on the size of the home. Townhome owners will pay from $875 up to $1,250 in taxes each year, while apartment owners will pay $600 and low-income homeowners will pay $215.

The district plans to hold a public hearing April 20 on forming the Mello-Roos district, which doesn?t require voter approval since no residents live there yet. Before that hearing, a TUSD team will draft a report on what new facilities are needed to accommodate growth for Tustin Legacy and how much those developments are estimated to cost.

The district is expected to vote on the plan May 18. Then it would head to the City Council for final approval May 19, since Tony Soria, chief financial officer for TUSD, said a small portion of the tax revenues would potentially support other public infrastructure needed in the area."

The lower the MR, the more likely your neighbor will have a lowered civic with a supra spoiler that parks in front of your house.

eyephone said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Man... I thought you knew what day it was yesterday.

remember - there is always someone with more money and to them, you are their riff raff.

Both seem like great areas-

I'm trying to decide because I work off jamboree on the 405

Greenwood: I like proximity to work and no mellaroos
Beacon park: I like the neighborhood better

How far is the commute from beacon park to jamboree and the 405 for a 8-5 schedule?

thelandofnoland said:
You are mistaken. Greenwood DOES have a mello-roos, except it is slightly less than that of Beacon Park.

Greenwood: About 1.5-1.6% property tax
Beacon Park: About 1.7-1.8% property tax

The mello roos in both areas should be about the same.  The only reason the percentages are different are because the home values will be different.  The only advantage that Greenwood has is that their CFDs will NOT increase by 2% every year.

I compared mello roos between Columbus Square and Pavilion Park, and they are roughly the same.  Columbus Square overall tax rates including mello roos were anywhere from 1.6% to 1.9%.

Greenwood is closer to John Wayne Airport so Greenwood is more likely in the path of the planes flying into John Wayne.  But John Wayne closes at 11pm so not a problem at night.

Angels_Baseball_2015 said:
Greenwood is closer to John Wayne Airport so Greenwood is more likely in the path of the planes flying into John Wayne.  But John Wayne closes at 11pm so not a problem at night.

True, but all of west Irvine is near SNA. You can hear planes around 7-8 am after they've been circling waiting for clearance to land.

Perspective said:

True, but all of west Irvine is near SNA. You can hear planes around 7-8 am after they've been circling waiting for clearance to land.

Gotcha - didn't know Beacon Park was in West Irvine, I thought they were in East Irvine? Maybe I'm mistaken.

Perspective said:

Gotcha - didn't know Beacon Park was in West Irvine, I thought they were in East Irvine? Maybe I'm mistaken.

It's more like central north irvine.

Back