TUSD experience

Two words: Heritage Elementary.  Built, vacant, and no plans to open.  City of Tustin is strong-arming TUSD to open in 2016, by making it a condition for approving the additional CFD in Greenwood.  Still a lot of drama to unfold...big TUSD meeting happening on 3/23.  Expect news shortly.

In the meantime, here's how Heritage has been utilized for the past few years:
https://www.redfin.com/school/187355/CA/Tustin/Hillview-High-continuation-School

Winning!

Gasman - what are your thoughts on Tustin's Measure S aka the technology bond for schools. Are the classrooms upgraded? Does your kids enjoy the FREE iPads?

So the cost is approximately $19 per $100k of assessed property value.

The TUSD board meeting was last night. Over 170 residents showed up. Tusd essentially said as long as tustin approves the MR/CFD at their meeting on 5/19, heritage elementary will open in fall of 2016 with registration happening in March of 2016. So it does seem like it's going to open.

I'm curious if the columbus square students attending the tustin ranch elementary schools will actually attend heritage or will they continue to request the transfers.

Who in their right mind will pay top dollar for the property and high taxes to go to the assigned schools @ Greenwood?

eyephone said:
Who in their right mind will pay top dollar for the property and high taxes to go to the assigned schools @ Greenwood?

Not a single soul.  They're banking on people NOT in their right minds to fork over the cash (or the NEW sub-prime loans that are available) to buy.

I'm not aware of a single CS family sending their kids to the "assigned" schools in the area.

qwerty said:
The TUSD board meeting was last night. Over 170 residents showed up. Tusd essentially said as long as tustin approves the MR/CFD at their meeting on 5/19, heritage elementary will open in fall of 2016 with registration happening in March of 2016. So it does seem like it's going to open.

I'm curious if the columbus square students attending the tustin ranch elementary schools will actually attend heritage or will they continue to request the transfers.

I doubt CS will retain its priority on the transfer option once Heritage opens.  There may be a "grandfather" clause thrown in there if enough influential parents raise a stink about it, but I would consider that unlikely.

If I were a bettin' man (and I most certainly am!), I'd bet that most parents will keep sending their kids to their current schools for another year or two before enrolling in Heritage.  There will be a lot of kinks to work out, and it's hard to stomach for many.

That said, expect a lot of transfers IN to Heritage for the first few years in order to meet the headcount requirements.  Qwerty...they'll be coming in from the west...you'll be moving to Irvine before you know it. :) jk

A few of my buddies fled CS for this same reason.  Two were your neighbors Gasman, literally!!

The others have been sending their kids to Myford or attending a private school.  They are FCBs so they didn't know much at the time about schools but wanted a new and big ass home in Socal around DJ. LOL!  One of them lives on Convington and will be listing soon and the other is trying to sell their home but no bites yet.

You know if these FCB's stayed, they would raise the ranking of whatever school they were assigned.

zubs said:
You know if these FCB's stayed, they would raise the ranking of whatever school they were assigned.

Some things, you just can't change...like the tide, the wind, and the ranking at Veeh...

eyephone said:

There are still a lot of people out there that don't know how school system works. We were one of them and we didn't have kids at that time. We bought a house in Northpark and thought every house in Irvine is zoned to IUSD.

IrvRes said:
eyephone said:

There are still a lot of people out there that don't know how school system works. We were one of them and we didn't have kids at that time. We bought a house in Northpark and thought every house in Irvine is zoned to IUSD.

But if you bought in NP your kids will still go to great schools, in most measures better than the IUSD schools (have you seen any posts regarding Common Core Math?), so in your case you made a wise decision even without knowing

So someone mentioned on another thread that Tustin Legacy HS will soon be constructed. I highly doubt it.

eyephone said:
So someone mentioned on another thread that Tustin Legacy HS will soon be constructed. I highly doubt it.

Doubtful.  Heritage elementary was built over 4 years ago, and is still not open.  TUSD is being forced to open it in 2016 in order to get the CFD on Greenwood, but City of Tustin has no leverage to push TUSD to build the high school "soon".  I would be surprised if anything happened before 2020.

Back