Irvine Pacific without Seller's Agent?

jpatki

We have an impending move from NorCal to SoCal, probably Irvine, and we like Orchard Hills.

We were in town a couple weeks ago (before I discovered TI) and visited more than a few model homes. I asked the "greeter" when I walked in at OH Strada if she was a Real Estate Agent, and she replied that she was a "Sales Counselor." Hmm. She provided quite a bit of information about the phases and the models in each, including which models on which plot, etc.

I finally clicked on the forum sticky post about "rebates" (which was initially meaningless to this average Joe who has never bought a new home before). We were thinking of getting a buyer's agent on our next weekend trip to Irvine, but it looks like the horse is out of the barn, so to speak. 

So -- does ANYONE here have a history of successfully getting a seller's agent in the door (and get them their "referral" fee) after already having viewed the model homes (without having to pay the agent $12k OOP)?  I really don't care about the rebate THAT much, but it would be nice. To clarify -- we never filled-out any forms nor signed our names on anything, but we are definitely a memorable family. Definitely.

- Joe

If you did not sign anything, then you are good to go! Regardless of how memorable you might of been, it is all about if you signed that little card they try desperately for you to sign.

Even then, you can most of the time get a real estate agent to come in and sign you in after the fact... I have done it. I here stories where some of these builders are really strict and do not allow it, but personally I have never experienced it.

There's extensive discussion on this topic in this thread if you haven't read it yet.
Rebate on New home purchases - Discuss

Here's two post from that thread probably will answer your question.  Good luck.
rkp said:
Officially, its too late.  Unofficially, people go back with their brokers all the time as the builders arent swiping IDs.  Assuming you didnt sign anything or fill out a guest card or have a very long conversation with one of the sales reps when you visited the models, they would never know if the next time you went was your first time or not. 

USCTrojanCPA said:
Irvine Pacific is super strict with that....they told me and my clients before....you cant register with them because I remember seeing them here before (even though they never filled anything out). 

lnc said:
There's extensive discussion on this topic in this thread if you haven't read it yet.

Thanks! My reading those threads led to my posting the question.

I don't want to believe Irvine Pacific would be that shady. Aren't there "bait & switch" laws (or something similar) that apply here? "Oh, I'm not an agent, but rather a counselor" should have been my first clue that all that mascara was just the tip of a huge iceberg. Curious how anyone can walk through a Sunday afternoon pre-owned open house without a buyer's agent on board -- I fail to see the difference.

What a pitiful tactic to get more profits. Sigh.

Thanks.

@jpatki -

Some member on TI, messaged me the other day regarding a different topic that I commented on. That person informed me, the that one of the builder agents periodically go on TI. The TI member wanted me to edit my comment, which I did. (Since I'm a nice guy)

So I would not advertise your situation/plan. (I hope your TI sn, is not your first name or last name) The way I see it, TI has the Irvine inside housing info. Therefore, buyers and sellers go on TI.

#GoodLuCk

*I guess the percentage of them finding out is low.

If you didn't register and they try to say they remember you make a damn scene and u will see how fast they let you register.

eyephone said:
@jpatki -

I commented on. That person informed me, the that one of the builder agents periodically go on TI. The TI member wanted me to edit my comment, which I did. (Since I'm a nice guy)

So I would not advertise your situation/plan. The way I see it, TI has the Irvine inside housing info. Therefore, buyers and sellers go on TI.

#GoodLuCk

Thanks for the insight!

I mentioned this situation to my husband, just now.  He said to me, "Well, they have a big sign posted right there in the sales offices (Strada, Terrazza, Pavilion Park) that states that the seller's agent needs to be present at the first visit in order to benefit from any referral bonuses (or something like that).

Well, that settles it for me. Live and learn!

Cheers!  - Joe

jpatki said:
eyephone said:
@jpatki -

I commented on. That person informed me, the that one of the builder agents periodically go on TI. The TI member wanted me to edit my comment, which I did. (Since I'm a nice guy)

So I would not advertise your situation/plan. The way I see it, TI has the Irvine inside housing info. Therefore, buyers and sellers go on TI.

#GoodLuCk

Thanks for the insight!

I mentioned this situation to my husband, just now.  He said to me, "Well, they have a big sign posted right there in the sales offices (Strada, Terrazza, Pavilion Park) that states that the seller's agent needs to be present at the first visit in order to benefit from any referral bonuses (or something like that).

Well, that settles it for me. Live and learn!

Cheers!  - Joe

Did you sign a info card when you went to tour the models?

In the OP he said he didn't fill out anything.  I would say go in with your agent next time (just go by yourself not the whole fam) and have your agent say "I'd like to sign in my buyer". 

Now, if they look at you and say "Haven't you been in before", that's up to you but think about your reply ahead of time just in case. 

I think it's really annoying when people don't answer your questions, like the lady responding to you about  being a sales counselor instead of saying she wasn't an agent.  Maybe give them a taste of their own medicine and when they ask you if you've been there before just say "sure I enjoy visiting Irvine."

aquabliss said:
In the OP he said he didn't fill out anything.  I would say go in with your agent next time (just go by yourself not the whole fam) and have your agent say "I'd like to sign in my buyer". 

Now, if they look at you and say "Haven't you been in before", that's up to you but think about your reply ahead of time just in case. 

I think it's really annoying when people don't answer your questions, like the lady responding to you about  being a sales counselor instead of saying she wasn't an agent.  Maybe give them a taste of their own medicine and when they ask you if you've been there before just say "sure I enjoy visiting Irvine."
+1  You are not taking food out of the mouth of a salesperson's child.  The broker co-op comes out of a marketing budget.  I have registered a handful of buyers who visited the sales office before they went with me.  The key is to let enough time pass that the chances of them remembering you are slim to none.  The sales people move around from one development to another occasionally as well.  When I went in with those buyers that I registered later, it was usually just the wife or the husband that went with me not the whole family to reduce the chance of being recognized.  One buyer went as far as wearing a baseball hat and sunglasses.  haha

@usct

Isn't it real estate sales 101 for an agent to tell their clients "if you see something you like let me know"  Sounds like you need to reel in your buyers a bit if they're viewing homes without you.

What would you do if they loved a FSBO home?

TRNeighbor.com said:
@usct

Isn't it real estate sales 101 for an agent to tell their clients "if you see something you like let me know"  Sounds like you need to reel in your buyers a bit if they're viewing homes without you.

many buyers of new homes call an agent after the fact for that rebate...we like going and seeing new models and if something really piqued our interest, we will call our agent and have them officially sign us in.  no way for us to take an agent to every single model out there

rkp said:
TRNeighbor.com said:
@usct

many buyers of new homes call an agent after the fact for that rebate...we like going and seeing new models and if something really piqued our interest, we will call our agent and have them officially sign us in.  no way for us to take an agent to every single model out there
+1  Some buyers contact me after they have visited the model homes (they go there before reaching out to me).  Sometimes I can register them and sometimes I can't, depends on the situation. 

rkp said:
TRNeighbor.com said:
@usct

TRNeighbor.com said:
@usct

I'm not the type to reel anyone in, my clients are people and not fish or bait.  Many people don't realize that home builders offer broker co-op commission and that there are agents out there that will share that commission with them.  For the folks that I meet first, I inform them that the builders require that I accompany them on their first visit to the sales office to register them (then they can go back whenever they want without me).  Some clients contact me after they go see new homes.  I understand what the rules are and I try to follow them.  I'm a straight shooter and a few builders have made exceptions for me in terms of registering my buyers after they went to go see the models without me on their first visit.  If I have a client that wants to buy a FSBO property, I will assist them in any way that I can....a lot of times those owners will offer something to the buyer agent to help with the transaction. 

If you are interested in Portola Springs, I specialize in that community and would be happy to answer any of your questions.  You can find more information on Portola Springs at:  www.portolaspringsrealty.com or email me at: info@portolaspringsrealty.com

Portola Springs Realty said:
If you are interested in Portola Springs, I specialize in that community and would be happy to answer any of your questions.  You can find more information on Portola Springs at:  www.portolaspringsrealty.com or email me at: info@portolaspringsrealty.com
If you would like to meet me in person, I am currently working at Cariz,  directly with the builder, TriPointe Homes, everyday (excluding Friday and Monday).

How is Cariz selling?  I'd like to kindly request that you expedite future phase building to give me the 133 sound barrier that my backyard ambiance requires to be complete.  Thanks in Advance.

Hmm... Sounds like the developer procured the buyer to begin with.

The OP temperament was that the developers are shady, but it sounds like the pot is calling the kettle black. 

What did the agent do to earn thousands of dollars? Show a business card? smh

TRNeighbor.com said:
Hmm... Sounds like the developer procured the buyer to begin with.
The OP temperament was that the developers are shady, but it sounds like the pot is calling the kettle black. 
What did the agent do to earn thousands of dollars? Show a business card? smh

The OP said shady because visiting a model house is no different than visiting a resale open house.  Imagine you came into an open house and met the sellers agent who was hosting the open house.  Later you make an offer through your buyers agent and are told that its not valid because you already visited the open house and spoke with the sellers agent.  That doesn't seem right at all but yet it happens with new homes all the time.  Just because you are buying from a company doesn't change whether you have been working with a buyers agent and that agent has provided tons of value to you.  Even on a new home, good agents will help you through the process.

The problem is that developers believe that buyers will be clueless about their new communities without an agent telling them about it and that the only way an agent will tell them is with an incentive.  Maybe a handful of buyers never heard of a development but in cities like Irvine where there is massive development and mega communities being built, you really have to have your head in the sand to not know about them.  But even assuming you didn't know about a specific model that might be perfect for you, why does the agent have to come in with you and sign you in?  As a lead generation cost, isn't an agent sending their buyer to the model sufficient?  The whole sign in first visit thing doesn't make a lot of sense. 

Back