Drywood Termites Treatment Pricing

liege168

LLoy Pest Control found evidence of drywood termites in a few areas in my house.  Their recommendation is to fumigate the whole house ($2,700) and to put me on a 3-year program to treat any areas ($1,905).

Any perspective on this pricing?  Sounds like a lot to me...

Thanks.

liege168 said:
LLoy Pest Control found evidence of drywood termites in a few areas in my house.  Their recommendation is to fumigate the whole house ($2,700) and to put me on a 3-year program to treat any areas ($1,905).

Any perspective on this pricing?  Sounds like a lot to me...

Thanks.

It depends on the size of your house (sq ft), how many floors you have, etc. 
I went with Astro Termite after getting a few quotes.  I paid around $2100 if I recall correctly for my 3100sq.ft. 2 level house for fumigation only.  I had the dry rotted wood replaced by my roofer who was much cheaper for that.

Regarding the 'program', the Astro guy said the 'treatment program' is industry BS.  It is a money maker with very little risk and lots of exceptions to coverage.  He said once you fumigate, it takes at least three years before any sign of re-infestation occurs so you will be 'out of warranty' by the time you see anything significant.

He recommends to have the exposed wood in the attic and other areas you have exposed wood to be treated with Timbor since fumigating just kills the existing infestation but leaves no protection to new infestation.  He was going to charge me $200 to do that but said I could do it easily by buying it on eBay and getting a garden pump sprayer and doing it myself.  I decided to do it myself and my total cost was about $100 and about 2 hours of time.

Great information...  Appreciate the input.

My house is 2800 soft and two story...  so, within ballpark of what you had experienced.

Thanks again!!!

I heard some advertisement for Orange Oil treatment that has a 3-year warranty and you don't have to tent the house.

I think it's less than Termite Circus Time.

I'll have to look into the Timbor stuff.  I have used Termidor, which is pretty effective, but it's a lot of work.  Lots of drilling, filling and painting, plus you have to have access to the lumber.

irvinehomeowner said:
I heard some advertisement for Orange Oil treatment that has a 3-year warranty and you don't have to tent the house.

I think it's less than Termite Circus Time.

When we bought our house, the termite inspection found two spots of infestation and the previous owners had it treated with orange oil. 

The fact that I had to tent three years later because I had infestations in  the same areas makes me leery of orange oil treatment.  Since it is a local treatment, it only affects the colonies they were able to get to and not the ones hidden in the wall unless they know where the infestation is in the wall and drill and treat.  If they miss one colony, well those buggers are still crunching away at your studs.

Has anyone done their own spot treatment?  I have a few areas where I see kick-out holes from the termites and I'm getting quoted $350 to take care of 4 areas.  It seems easy enough to just drill and fill myself.  Termite guy said his stuff is industrial strength and I could not buy it.  However, it seems like Termidor can be purchased over the counter.

I have treated a lot of areas, both due to infestations and as a preventive measure.  You'll want a 30 gauge blunt needle and a large (1 oz) syringe; both are available from amazon.  After mixing up the Termidor, fill the syringe with the solution, and poke the needle in the termite hole.  Sometimes you have to wet the plug and let it sit for a minute to soften.  Once the needle is in, inject away until it runs out some other hole.  On vertical tunnels I have had mixed success with using plumber's putty around the needle to seal the hole after puling the needle out.  If you can get the putty to stick, it works well.  Often it falls off.  Thinking of trying it with my kid's playdough to see if that works better.  As a preventative measure you can do the same thing, but you'll need to drill your own holes and let the solution wick into the wood.  Outdoors, you'll have to caulk the holes and paint.

daedalus said:
I have treated a lot of areas, both due to infestations and as a preventive measure.  You'll want a 30 gauge blunt needle and a large (1 oz) syringe; both are available from amazon.  After mixing up the Termidor, fill the syringe with the solution, and poke the needle in the termite hole.  Sometimes you have to wet the plug and let it sit for a minute to soften.  Once the needle is in, inject away until it runs out some other hole.  On vertical tunnels I have had mixed success with using plumber's putty around the needle to seal the hole after puling the needle out.  If you can get the putty to stick, it works well.  Often it falls off.  Thinking of trying it with my kid's playdough to see if that works better.  As a preventative measure you can do the same thing, but you'll need to drill your own holes and let the solution wick into the wood.  Outdoors, you'll have to caulk the holes and paint.

There is also a foam product available.  Sounds like it might be easier to use than a liquid?  Funny, I called another termite place and they said for spot treatment, they would recommend just doing it yourself instead of paying them.  That's the first time I've heard this kind of honesty from a professional.

I want the fipronil to soak into the wood as deep as possible.  That's what protects it from future infestations for years.

We had problems with termites in our floor boards.  We removed the carpet, then pulled the boards and tossed them.  Next we called the termite people in to get anything we missed. 

New floor boards were cheap, and we bought them at Home Depot.

Then we heavily applied bora-care to the boards and everywhere we had access to.  This should prevent future infestations.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00474IPIO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

spootieho said:
We had problems with termites in our floor boards.  We removed the carpet, then pulled the boards and tossed them.  Next we called the termite people in to get anything we missed. 

New floor boards were cheap, and we bought them at Home Depot.

Then we heavily applied bora-care to the boards and everywhere we had access to.  This should prevent future infestations.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00474IPIO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Wow, sounds like a lot of work.  You didn't want to fumigate?  From what I have read, once termites are found inside your home, they are already buried in multiple areas inside the structure and it's time to fumigate.  If you just see them outside in patio covers, then it's possible just to remove the wood and/or do local treatment.

Back