Toxic Chemicals found during Portola HS Construction

aquabliss

Take it with a grain of salt but found this article:http://www.irvinecommunitynewsandvi...amination-discovered-at-new-high-school-site/

It's a long read, but the scariest part is:

Last November, workers were digging a long trench to install a huge boxed concrete storm drain to serve the school and thousands of new homes yet to be built in the northern reaches of Irvine.  The official reports obtained under the California Public Records Act reveal that on November 13th, workers operating earthmoving equipment encountered, at a depth of 16 feet, an unusually strong odor and discolored soil ? two red flags for possible toxic contamination.  In accordance with State law and regulations, work was stopped.  Then higher-ups were notified, and probing of thecontaminated soil continued for 100 feet until apparently clean soil was found.

It soon became evident to workers on site, and presumably to school officials as well, that this was no small spill or ?stain,? as later described by environmental consultants for the School District.  An email later revealed that the contaminated soil stretched 29 feet onto the Portola High School site; and the contamination permeated the soil to a depth of between 15 feet and 28 feet.  By the time all the suspect soil was removed for testing and disposal, the true extent of the ?stained soil? hauled away amounted to 78 truckloads ? nearly 1,000 cubic yards.

Yellow dot on the image represents where it was found:
1erihc.jpg

Maybe the future high school kids will grow superpowers. :)

This will be my main concern...
a significant health and safety risk to the thousands of students who will be attending Portola High.  The risk is even greater to the teachers and staff who may be working there for 20, 30 or even 40 years.

aquabliss said:
Take it with a grain of salt but found this article:http://www.irvinecommunitynewsandvi...amination-discovered-at-new-high-school-site/

It's a long read, but the scariest part is:

Last November, workers were digging a long trench to install a huge boxed concrete storm drain to serve the school and thousands of new homes yet to be built in the northern reaches of Irvine.  The official reports obtained under the California Public Records Act reveal that on November 13th, workers operating earthmoving equipment encountered, at a depth of 16 feet, an unusually strong odor and discolored soil ? two red flags for possible toxic contamination.  In accordance with State law and regulations, work was stopped.  Then higher-ups were notified, and probing of thecontaminated soil continued for 100 feet until apparently clean soil was found.

It soon became evident to workers on site, and presumably to school officials as well, that this was no small spill or ?stain,? as later described by environmental consultants for the School District.  An email later revealed that the contaminated soil stretched 29 feet onto the Portola High School site; and the contamination permeated the soil to a depth of between 15 feet and 28 feet.  By the time all the suspect soil was removed for testing and disposal, the true extent of the ?stained soil? hauled away amounted to 78 truckloads ? nearly 1,000 cubic yards.

Yellow dot on the image represents where it was found:
1erihc.jpg

THanks

This site is a bit biased though but still good to know.  Our kids aren't going to HS for many years.. hopefully most of it airs out by then.  ;) j/k.. or am i?

Are they or have they fixed the soil problem? Isn't there environmental companies they can clean the soil?

Irvine Community News and Views? Isn't this Larry Agran's propaganda machine which is as balanced as SoCal's view on FHR ? he lost the election and still could not get over his site "B" was not chosen for the HS.

The California Court Company said:
Irvine Community News and Views? Isn't this Larry Agran's propaganda machine which is as balanced as SoCal's view on FHR ? he lost the election and still could not get over his site "B" was not chosen for the HS.

Si

FARMMMMMIE said:
jmoney74 said:
FARMMMMMIE said:
yaliu07 said:
eyephone said:
yaliu07 said:
IHO is RIGHT.  Chemical mutated ghosts (aka Zombie) are coming...

TMNT

are you calling J$'s son a TURTLE???  :)

SHOTS FIRED SHOTS FIRED!!

I see how it is

I got your back homie...  gonna make a website named: www.buildthatcemeterynextdoortoYaLiushome.com

Can't wait for the cemetery.  I'm going to get my boys to play some football with cleats. Use some tombstones as cones.

we use to play street light to street light as touchdowns when I was young... are the new irvine kids playing tombstone to tombstone now?

FARMMMMMIE said:
we use to play street light to street light as touchdowns when I was young... are the new irvine kids playing tombstone to tombstone now?

pretty much.. the tombstones are better indicators for first down... etc. 

FARMMMMMIE said:
jmoney74 said:
FARMMMMMIE said:
yaliu07 said:
eyephone said:
yaliu07 said:
IHO is RIGHT.  Chemical mutated ghosts (aka Zombie) are coming...

TMNT

are you calling J$'s son a TURTLE???  :)

SHOTS FIRED SHOTS FIRED!!

I see how it is

I got your back homie...  gonna make a website named: www.buildthatcemeterynextdoortoYaLiushome.com

wow wow wow.  i am just guessing what eyephone trying to say and i made an assumption that everyone on this forum is old for "T"eenage.

jmoney74 said:
FARMMMMMIE said:

Are these gonna be elevated tombstones (like the military cross ones you see in movies)?  Or the flush to the ground kind (manhole cover) like in Rose Hills?

ps9 said:
jmoney74 said:
FARMMMMMIE said:

Are these gonna be elevated tombstones (like the military cross ones you see in movies)?  Or the flush to the ground kind (manhole cover) like in Rose Hills?

Elevated for sure!!! The flush to the ground ones are used for training, side to side lateral movements!

Back