First Cell Phone

socal78

Parents - when would (or did) you allow your child to have their first cell phone?

It has been a topic of discussion lately at Chez SoCal. We make daily use of walkie-talkies when picking up the 7 year old from school after a school year last year where we had several confusing scenarios involving not knowing where the other was resulting in a breakdown into tears. It has been much better now with our improved communication - much more efficient. So much so that we take them out all the time to large stores or outings where we think there's a chance we could become separated and need to find our way back. However, the range only goes so far and there has been a couple times we wanted to reach other and couldn't due to inadequate reception. That obviously lead to our next line of thinking - the cell phone. I seem to recall a commercial several years back about a kids' phone that was very simplified, with a few "memory dial"-looking buttons so the child is restricted to just the important, necessary numbers. I think something like that would be ideal but I guess it's not an option with our carrier, plan, or whatever... I don't think they even make them anymore. I've been thinking of just doing a regular cell phone. I see quite a few other kids with them. (They do NOT take them into the classroom. Everything is left outside in their backpacks, so there wouldn't be an issue with distractions.) So, I know some of you Irvine parents DO give them to your kids. On one hand I feel like it's too early and it would be too easily misplaced or viewed as a toy but on the other hand, I can easily see there are times it would come in handy in which I would never regret having got one for "SoCal03". If you've already had this talk - How old were they and what were the rules?

You probably want to try Firefly:
http://www.fireflymobile.com/

They have a pay as you go plan which I like better because there is no monthly contract. Since it's emergency use only... you only pay for the minutes you need.

They also have a kid-friendly phone that I think you are describing.

If we ever do go that route... it will probably be prepaid and I'm not going to let them text... they'll learn that soon enough the way this world is going.

My toddler is definitely not old enough yet (although maybe he is, come to think of it, since he can use our ipad with ease), but I think around 6yo would be a good time to get a cell phone--for emergencies only. As far as when they should be able to use their phone for calling friends or whatever...maybe age 10?

I have an 8 year old and we are not planning anything yet.  On another note, does an I-touch have texting abilities?

I better start thinking about this seriously. My toddler is an iTouch expert already. I am sure she could easily operate an iPhone next. Yikes!  :eek:

abcd1234 said:
I have an 8 year old and we are not planning anything yet.  On another note, does an I-touch have texting abilities?
I think... to quote Apple... "There is an App for that".

You can do FaceTime calls on iTouch's now... and I know there are IM apps available... I haven't checked to see if TextFree works over a WiFi connection... but I'm sure someone has set something up to do it.

Back