O'Shine Taiwanese Restaurant (Tustin)

homer_simpson

O'Shine Taiwanese Restaurant just opened up in Tustin... some of you veteran Irvinians may remember O'Shine Cafe in Irvine when it use to occupy where Shik Do Rak is now.

Went here for lunch today and ordered the Deep Fried Pork Chop Rice for myself and the Minced Pork Noodle Soup for wife to go.  I don't think much has changed from before, the food still tastes wonderful, big portions and friendly service. 

The Pork Chop was nicely battered and seasoned perfectly.  The minced pork/pork belly mixed in with the rice tied in nicely with the mixed vegetables and pickled vegetables they included. 

Didn't try the soup but my wife was all smiles as she said this reminded her of good home cooking...

Would recommend and will be back!

Only downside is the CASH ONLY part...

Attachments

• IMG_0326.JPG
    IMG_0326.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 314
  • IMG_0327.JPG
    IMG_0327.JPG
    121.1 KB · Views: 331
Heh... I just saw that place the other day (we went to Seoul Garden KBBQ Buffet).

It's right next to the new sushi restaurant.

That deep fried pork chop looks good.

irvinehomeowner said:
Heh... I just saw that place the other day (we went to Seoul Garden KBBQ Buffet).

It's right next to the new sushi restaurant.

That deep fried pork chop looks good.

It's really really good and worth the try if you ever want some good Taiwanese food IHO. 

That new sushi place was called Monster Sushi AYCE right??

How's that Seoul Garden place??

What are the prices like?  I always have a hard time going to a Taiwanese restaurant because of the food prices in Taiwan.  Most Taiwanese foods are meant to be eaten tapa/snack style so paying $3 for a Taiwanese meatball takes the shine off. 

FARMMMMMIE said:
It's decent... their brisket isn't as good as the ATB/Gen places but everything else is better to me (but again, I don't eat much else other than the bulgogi and the boneless kalbi).

They just upgraded their booths, the place was falling apart and it's still a bit old in there but you should try it at least once. We used to always go there before ATB popped up in Irvine.

The kid discount is better, only $7.50 up to age 11 (whereas ATB stops the 50% discount at age 8 ).

irvinehomeowner said:
FARMMMMMIE said:
It's decent... their brisket isn't as good as the ATB/Gen places but everything else is better to me (but again, I don't eat much else other than the bulgogi and the boneless kalbi).

They just upgraded their booths, the place was falling apart and it's still a bit old in there but you should try it at least once. We used to always go there before ATB popped up in Irvine.

The kid discount is better, only $7.50 up to age 11 (whereas ATB stops the 50% discount at age 8).

Seoul Garden is pretty decent especially considering the price.  I like Korean BBQ but can't do ACYE anymore. 

irvinehomeowner said:
FARMMMMMIE said:

The kid discount is better, only $7.50 up to age 11 (whereas ATB stops the 50% discount at age 8).

They're still around?  Takes forever to cook there, they keep the flames low so you get full off the cheap stuff while you slow cook the Kalbi on the grill.  Or has it changed?

ps9 said:
They're still around?  Takes forever to cook there, they keep the flames low so you get full off the cheap stuff while you slow cook the Kalbi on the grill.  Or has it changed?
Hmm... never was an issue for us, plus we can turn the dial ourselves.

The ladies are pretty nice to us there... unlike Korea House where they tend to ignore us.

We had an annoying server that keeps turning the flame down on the already low flame grill.  Pissed me off, no one tells me how to cook my meat!

Irvinecommuter said:
What are the prices like?  I always have a hard time going to a Taiwanese restaurant because of the food prices in Taiwan.  Most Taiwanese foods are meant to be eaten tapa/snack style so paying $3 for a Taiwanese meatball takes the shine off.

Prices are similar to A&J's but the portions are bigger... :)

FARMMMMMIE said:
O'Shine Taiwanese Restaurant just opened up in Tustin... some of you veteran Irvinians may remember O'Shine Cafe in Irvine when it use to occupy where Shik Do Rak is now.

Went here for lunch today and ordered the Deep Fried Pork Chop Rice for myself and the Minced Pork Noodle Soup for wife to go.  I don't think much has changed from before, the food still tastes wonderful, big portions and friendly service. 

The Pork Chop was nicely battered and seasoned perfectly.  The minced pork/pork belly mixed in with the rice tied in nicely with the mixed vegetables and pickled vegetables they included. 

Didn't try the soup but my wife was all smiles as she said this reminded her of good home cooking...

Who hacked farmie's account?  Or who changed their name to match his?  Or is this really the owner of O'Shine posting! 

Either propaganda or not, I will have to check it out.  I happen to love these types of restaurants.

They gave me free food for TI promotion  :p

Let me know if you wan a go grab some grub Coleman, you too IHO! Still have a few months down in socal

FARMMMMMIE said:

Cool, can't wait to try, mom use to frequent O'shine in the old Irvine days when it was just them and Nice Time Deli around for subpar TW food.  I wonder why they picked that location, I don't think it will work out.  Big lots draws out the sketchy crowd, what else is there.... liquor store?  indian restaurant?  Use to love going to the Trieu Chau knock off noodle restaurant, but they didn't last long. 

ps9 said:
FARMMMMMIE said:

Cool, can't wait to try, mom use to frequent O'shine in the old Irvine days when it was just them and Nice Time Deli around for subpar TW food.  I wonder why they picked that location, I don't think it will work out.  Big lots draws out the sketchy crowd, what else is there.... liquor store?  indian restaurant?  Use to love going to the Trieu Chau knock off noodle restaurant, but they didn't last long.

Yeah this is probably not the best place to have a Taiwanese restaurant.  Catering to the wrong demographics for sure.... AYCE places do better here hence Seoul and the Sushi joint is around..

I'm guessing the rent is dirt cheap

o_O  I sat at a wedding banquet table across from the owner of O'Shine (Irvine) restaurant years ago in Cerritos, they had already closed the place by then and the son wanted to be a chiropractor.  I wonder what prompted them to want to reopen in Tustin??

The daughter wanted to run the restaurant, so they reopened it.  It's funny now you see a bunch of Mercedes, BMW, Audi and Lexus in the parking lot now.  Looks like they're drawing the Irvine crowd to Tustin pretty successfully.

Went there for lunch today and can't wait to go back and try more items on the menu. Found out the owner's parents are from the same small town and lived a couple blocks away from my grandparents. The parents are currently here to help their daughter start this new restaurant. The flavors of their food is very similar to the food I remember having when I visited during the summers of my childhood. We tried many items on the menu and we really enjoyed it all.

Back