Measles outbreak

So looks that the measles outbreak is spreading beyond the people that visited Disneyland.

Curious what precautions (if any) parents of newborns that are less than 1yr and cannot get the MMR vaccine are doing?

The last outbreak in '89 resulted in over 100 DEATHS and those were mainly with babies and toddlers less than 5yo.

As people can see it's very contagious, it's testable but the big concern is it can be heavily deadly for little ones :(.

Stay safe!

Definitely be cautious.  I mean when did the vaccine come out?  Nobody was concerned when I was a kid.  Lol

Yes, same here.  I always tell my kids that they are lucky that they have shots to prevent these things.  Although it wasn't the most comfortable thing, the early memories I have of getting measles, mumps and chicken pox was the joy of being pulled out of nursery/Kindergarten classes and going home early. We went home in taxis so I'm sure I infected others from that.  :p Once one of us siblings got it, the others were sure to follow soon.  I don't think my parents separated us either, probably thinking they might as well get it over with. Parents then thought all this was a normal thing and we were comforted by getting extra TLC and ice cream and stuff.  Don't remember going to see a doctor or anything.  Saw no concern on their part but I feel that generation didn't make a big deal out of everything like we do now.  I'm sure kids died then too but...

I do understand the concern of the OP though.  I would use common sense and not be taking a baby to Disneyland or where a lot of people gather until this dies down a bit, especially where people more well off are, since it said that poorer people tend to vaccinate their kids more.  So, Santa Ana might be safer right now than Irvine?

jmoney74 said:
Definitely be cautious.  I mean when did the vaccine come out?  Nobody was concerned when I was a kid.  Lol

Irvine is probably ok. Asians tend to vaccinate. I would avoid your rich/white/coastal friends based on Kindergarten vaccinations stats.  I would leave the baby at home as much as you can and make sure everyone who has close contact with the baby is vaccinated.

---------------

January 14, 2015

Dear Parent/Guardian:

Measles has now been confirmed in ten Orange County residents, as part of an outbreak associated with exposure at the Disneyland or California Adventure theme parks in December, 2014. The initial illnesses were linked directly to the common theme park exposure. But these cases have been in public places throughout Orange County while infectious, and additional cases of measles are likely to occur.

Measles is an infection that spreads very easily through the air. Simply being in the same room with someone who has measles is enough to become infected. Because measles is so contagious, it can spread rapidly once introduced and cause outbreaks, especially in schools or day cares where immunization rates are low.

If your child has not received at least one dose of MMR and is exposed to measles, he/she may be excluded from attending school or child care to prevent further spread of disease. Information about exclusion of unimmunized students is available on the California Personal Beliefs Exemption form as well as in the California Code of Regulations, Title 17, Section 6060.

What can you do?

The MMR (measles, mumps, rubella) vaccine is safe and very effective at preventing measles infection. Two doses of MMR are routinely recommended for all children.

All parents and guardians should ensure that their children are up-to-date with their measles vaccination. Children should receive their first dose at MMR vaccine at 12-15 months of age and their second dose routinely at 4-6 years of age. If your child has not received the recommended doses, contact your health care provider as soon as possible to arrange for immunization. If you do not have a health care provider, you can call the Orange County Health Care Agency Health Referral Line at (800) 564-8448. If you think your child has measles, call your health care provider and notify Orange County Public Health Epidemiology at 714-834-8180.

For more information about measles, seehttp://ochealthinfo.com/phs/about/dcepi/epi/disease/measlesor call Orange County Public Health Epidemiology at 714-834-8180 and ask to speak to the Nurse of the Day. For questions about school exclusion for measles, call Pamela Kahn, R.N., Coordinator, Health and Wellness, Orange County Department of Education, at 714-327-1057.

Eric G. Handler, MD, MPH, FAAP Health Officer Orange County

Irvine Unified School District would like to continue connecting with you via email. If you prefer to be removed from our list, please contact Irvine Unified School District directly. To stop receiving all email messages distributed through our SchoolMessenger service, follow this link and confirm: Unsubscribe

SchoolMessenger is a notification service used by the nation's leading school systems to connect with parents, students and staff through voice, SMS text, email, and social media.

Newport mesa just issued a similar thing. No confirmed cases in district but more of an advisory thing.

Ticking time bombs:

Lowest vaccination rates

Here are the five public schools in Orange County with the lowest percentage of students who are fully vaccinated, meaning they've had two doses of vaccine for measles, mumps and rubella; four doses for diphtheria, tetanus and pertussis; three doses for polio; three doses for hepatitis B; and one dose for varicella.

? Journey School, Aliso Viejo: 38 percent fully vaccinated

? Crown Valley Elementary, Laguna Niguel: 57 percent

? Foothill Ranch Elementary, Lake Forest: 55 percent

? Vista del Mar Elementary, San Clemente: 56 percent

? Community Roots Academy, Aliso Viejo: 59 percent

Source: California Department of Public Health

irvinehomeowner said:
Interesting how they are all South County cities... where the *ahem* flight went.

I guess FCBs vaccinate?

It's pretty much just a subset of rich white surburban family who home school their kids or believe they're smarter than doctors.  Newport/Laguna Beach have a anti-vaccination crowd. 

"Measles has been eliminated in the United States since 2000. However, large measles outbreaks have occurred in many countries, particularly in Western Europe, Pakistan, Vietnam and the Philippines in recent years. Travelers to areas where measles circulates can bring measles back to the U.S., resulting in limited domestic transmission of measles. California has many international attractions and visitors come from many parts of the world."

1/21/15http://www.cdph.ca.gov/Pages/NR15-008.aspx

A really long but great article about the anti-vacciners.

?(They were) saying I need to get vaccinated and I need to be quarantined, otherwise I?m going to go to jail or something, or I?m going to get a misdemeanor,? said Ylsa.

Ylsa says she refuses to be a prisoner in her own home despite the possible quarantine order. Ylsa?s mother is also defending her daughter.

?It?s not nice when my daughter is threatened like this because she?s not even sick,? said Myrna Tellez.
http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/appeal-to-brady-bunch-vaccine-fallacy/

Also this:

Measles_US_1944-2007_inset.png

Back