q

I don't know about hidden gem. I don't think you should compare it to Stonegate. If you do, you will fall flat on the pavement.

The Stonegate school, parks, close by stores, etc..

How is landfill not an issue?  Sounds like you already convinced yourself so why bother asking?

There are a lot of issues with PS...some major, some minor, and some subjective.

Major:

Landfill
No close shopping
Distance from freeway (this is somewhat subjective depending on whether you take the toll roads)

Minor

Layout
No school (to be remedied)

Subjective

Perceived temperature difference
Fire danger

The fact that you have to ask whether or not PS is any good after it's been discussed over and over again is very telling in itself. I'm assuming you already live there and were expecting a pat on the back?

tooslow4u said:
The fact that you have to ask whether or not PS is any good after it's been discussed over and over again is very telling in itself. I'm assuming you already live there and were expecting a pat on the back?

Giving him/her the benefit of the doubt, I presume s/he is looking to buy there.  PS prices are a little cheaper.

Irvinecommuter said:
tooslow4u said:

Giving him/her the benefit of the doubt, I presume s/he is looking to buy there.  PS prices are a little cheaper.

Read his/her previous posts. This isn't the first time they've posted about PS (particularly Luna). I'm sure he/she are well aware of the pros and cons. Why beat a dead horse?

I just purchased a new home in Portola Springs and wanted to say that for all the flak regarding the location, we like it.

I think it boils down to individual preferences.  We lived for 15 years in a home backing up to Jamboree in Tustin Ranch and we now live close to the toll road.  We can only hear traffic from the toll road if the neighborhhood is extremely quiet, like on a Sunday morning.  The traffic noise on Jamboree was constant.

As for the landfill, we talked to someone who bought in an early phase and they have never smelled anything. Ironically, a friend of mine who lives in Woodbury says that on certain Santa Ana wind days, you can smell the landfill.  I suppose it depends on how sensitive one is to these smells.

We liked that we could buy essentially the same floorplan from the same builder as in Orchard Hills for $250,000 less.  BTW, one can hear the toll road from several of the Orchard Hills tracts as well.

Our son will be going to Northwood High School as the new high school will not open in time.  However, upon researching the new high school, I believe it will be an incredible school that will develop a great reputation in time.  It will have state of the art facilities and technology available to its students.  Its the students that make the school and based on the people buying in Pavilion Park and Portola Springs (highly educated), I think that the API scores will be high.

I do appreciate the viewpoints offered by the members of Talkirvine as it allowed us to consider the negatives and make our home buying decision with open eyes.  Many thanks to all of you!

Back