Deciduous Tree

yaliu07

for some weird reason, my HOA requires at least one deciduous tree.  I prefer evergreen tree because there is less maintenance work.  Can I file a variance?  If yes, what is the chance my HOA will approve the variance.  If not, is there any recommendation of deciduous tree with less maintenance.

Easier just to move to evergreen zone, jk!

Go for "little gem magnolia".  You can find them at any nursery, very common, pretty slow growing and low maintenance.

The variance will take forever and end in frustration.  Not worth it.

aquabliss said:
Easier just to move to evergreen zone, jk!

Go for "little gem magnolia".  You can find them at any nursery, very common, pretty slow growing and low maintenance.

The variance will take forever and end in frustration.  Not worth it.

"little gem magnolia" is consider evergreen tree.  :(

I have 2 of these in my front yard.  They are beautiful when they are blooming, when the leaves change color, and the branch formation is pretty when the leaves are gone.  They aren't high maintenance at all.

Western Redbud
Cercis occidentalis

yaliu07 said:
for some weird reason, my HOA requires at least one deciduous tree.  I prefer evergreen tree because there is less maintenance work.  Can I file a variance?  If yes, what is the chance my HOA will approve the variance.  If not, is there any recommendation of deciduous tree with less maintenance.

If you do ask for a variance, why should the HOA grant you a variance and not someone else? The HOA rules are in place, and when you ask for a variance, you should have a special reason, not just because you don't like the rules. If you don't have that unique reason/circumstance, then it's unlikely the variance will be granted.

Not sure what you mean by "less maintenance", since all deciduous trees lose their leaves and will require cleanup. That said, perhaps the size of the tree will determine maintenance. I have a Chinese pistache tree in my front yard. I love the fall color, it doesn't grow too large, and it loses its leaves relatively quickly over a period of a couple weeks in December. Yes, there is some maintenance required, but I don't mind, and it's over a short period of time.

Is yaliu like qwermigo? Does he do his own yard?

Maintenance seems like a non-issue if you have a yard service.

We had a liquid amber tree and loved the colors. It was a mess when the leaves fell but that was qwermigo's headache, not mine.

irvinehomeowner said:

We had a liquid amber tree and loved the colors. It was a mess when the leaves fell but that was qwermigo's headache, not mine.

That's why I love evergreen.  I dont need to clean up the leaves..

I always do my own yard work.  :(
qwerty is nice MOST OF THE TIME.  But when he asks me for money with his BIG bat, then he is no so nice any more.

yaliu07 said:
for some weird reason, my HOA requires at least one deciduous tree.

That's interesting because my HOA prohibits any large deciduous tree.

Maybe because we have very small yard and falling leaves might just falling into neighbor's yard and became a nuisance. 

Back