Woodbury (Stonetree) - your thoughts on pricing

You real estate experts - particularly those familiar with Woodbury - this Stonetree home has been on the market (Redfin) for 77 days and the asking price is $925K - see below:
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/107-Sanctuary-92620/home/7216802

We are considering making an offer - what do you think the price should be for a fair deal?

Consider this - two of the same model currently in escrow - one asking $869K and the other asking $928K - and I am told that they are both in escrow at an agreed price that is near the asking price. 
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/86-Twin-Gables-92620/home/21935329
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/98-Rinaldi-92620/home/7219365

Your thoughts on pricing are very much appreciated.  And your feedback - comparison between these three homes will also be very much appreciated - as we are curious for reason(s) for such pricing variance given they are the same model.

that second one looks builder stock, while the two at $925 look nicely upgraded (plus, first one has great outdoor space, third on a corner).

IrvineResident2002 said:
You real estate experts - particularly those familiar with Woodbury - this Stonetree home has been on the market (Redfin) for 77 days and the asking price is $925K - see below:
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/107-Sanctuary-92620/home/7216802

107 Sanctuary has really been listed since January.  Don't be fooled by the delisting/relisting trick.  Sales are slowing down and prices are decreasing in Woodbury.  I would offer 900k.

I'm curious to see why the difference in price between the two properties near sales (looks like they're both accepting back up offers)...looks like the only difference is that one is a corner lot.

The one for $869K seems really low in price...$413/sq. ft.

nyc to oc said:
I am intimately familiar with the Stonetree condos.

This is my opinion of the reasons for the variation in pricing:

107 Sanctuary-The listing price is high because the owner bought at peak, and also the realtor handling that listing always lists high.

98 Rinaldi is very upgraded inside and has a great corner location with a large lot and patio. Much less through traffic.

Twin Gables looks like builder standard and is clearly uninhabited. Probably an investor who wants to get out while the getting is good.

In my opinion, 98 Rinaldi is worth the higher asking price, 107 Sanctuary is not. Sanctuary is one of the busiest streets in Woodbury. Cars drive by fast, often over the speed limit, as they turn in from Long Meadow (main entrance road into Woodbury), also tons of parents rushing in the morning to drop off their kids at the elementary school on Great Lawn. I would not want to live there if I had kids due to the speeding.  Yes, you front the main park, but that's a negative in my opinion, because you get all the traffic and noise from the athletic fields. Tons of people from outside Woodbury parking along Sanctuary for the many soccer/baseball/other athletic activities directly across the street.

If you do decide to put in an offer, I'm quite  sure you have room to negotiate. That house has been on the market for a LONG time, and the sellers are moving.
I listed Twin Gables for about 2 weeks and can tell you that the seller is not an investor.  They moved to larger property.  I almost got the listing for Sanctuary as well and am representing the sellers on the buy side. 

Thanks everyone - very helpful comments!
We just drove by these three homes - will pass on 107 Sanctuary - here is why:
- Even if seller agreed to reduce it to 900K...to us with small kids...not a very good street as we agree that it can get pretty busy there...so not really worth for us.
- The 98 Rinaldi didn't really do it for us...great curb appeal...we really liked that...but noticed that whenever cars turn left into that street...the headlights reflect right into the home...that would bother me eventually.
- But the 86 Twin Gables even with less upgrades...in a calm street...at that price point...to us seemed more reasonable - fair price for a home of this type/model - so passing on 107 Sanctuary.

Now the new question for you experts...if we find another home in similar condition as this 86 Twin Gables...similar calm street (calm street is a priority for us over upgrades)...at mid 800s...immeidately jump on it?  I think yes...but wife is starting to have concerns for market and thinks that maybe we should just hold off making a purchase. 

IrvineResident2002 said:
- Even if seller agreed to reduce it to 900K...to us with small kids...not a very good street as we agree that it can get pretty busy there...so not really worth for us.
- The 98 Rinaldi didn't really do it for us...great curb appeal...we really liked that...but noticed that whenever cars turn left into that street...the headlights reflect right into the home...that would bother me eventually.
- But the 86 Twin Gables even with less upgrades...in a calm street...at that price point...to us seemed more reasonable - fair price for a home of this type/model - so passing on 107 Sanctuary.

Now the new question for you experts...if we find another home in similar condition as this 86 Twin Gables...similar calm street (calm street is a priority for us over upgrades)...at mid 800s...immeidately jump on it?  I think yes...but wife is starting to have concerns for market and thinks that maybe we should just hold off making a purchase.

My simple advice for you, make sure your down payment is 20 percent or more.

eyephone said:
IrvineResident2002 said:

nyc to oc said:
eyephone said:
IrvineResident2002 said:

I think if you intend to stay in this place for the long haul, then it probably doesn't matter too much if the market continues to go down shortly after you buy--it'll even out in the end.  BUT, if you're thinking that in the short to mid term, you want to upgrade to a  single family house, not condo, then I'd probably think twice. 

A cautionary tale--We got "stuck" in a detached condo which we bought in 2010.  Never intended to stay for the long term, but the market dropped so much after we bought, that we lost all our equity (even after a 20% downpayment) and missed the opportunity of a lifetime to upgrade to the "forever" SFR at the market bottom in 2011/2012.  By the time the market recovered enough that we could get out of the condo and break even, the prices for the SFR had risen at a much faster rate than for condos.

I just suggested 20 percent down to get away with paying PMI. Also, for cash flow purposes.

95 lamplighter and 85 twin gables -- same plan and model and sold for 818k and 855k respectively recently. 

94 twin gables is also selling at $909k.  Slightly modified and bigger stonetree model.  It comes out under $400/ sq ft at that price.

Back