What you think of these Great room design?

Silver_fox

Do you think this great room has a good appealing layout and design?

What you people think which is more popular, Great room concept vs separate living and dinning area.? Offcourse bigger the house, more space there would be, so dont compare it with Great park houses lol

Attachments

• GreatRoom_1.jpg
    GreatRoom_1.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 338
  • Great_room_2.jpg
    Great_room_2.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 297
  • 1353_01_PL3_Kitchen_JadeCourt_CalPacHomes_EricFiggePhotos_1.jpg
    1353_01_PL3_Kitchen_JadeCourt_CalPacHomes_EricFiggePhotos_1.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 287
  • 1353_05_PL3_Family_JadeCourt_CalPacHomes_EricFiggePhotosd_folder.jpg
    1353_05_PL3_Family_JadeCourt_CalPacHomes_EricFiggePhotosd_folder.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 279
We never use our formal living and dining - it collects dust. I'd much rather have a great room and a loft upstairs for the kids to use. I like using every space in my house daily.

I agree with Paris. Great room and a guest suite downstairs, open stairway with high ceilings leading to the second floor loft, which serves as a separation between master and secondary bedrooms.

To each his own. Some people like Great Rooms, others prefer separate living areas. For me, a formal dining room and formal living room are useless. For our home, we have a morning room, kitchen, family room area in an L-shape. We opted to make our formal dining room (towards front of home) into an office+powder room. Our Great Room is large, so in addition to the morning room, we have a dining table between kitchen and family living area. Works for us. Like I said, to each his own.

Silver_fox said:
You people think, Great room in the attached pics is good?

Those pics just feels like a room with living, dining, kitchen - doesn't feel like a GREATroom but maybe it feels more expansive in person. What do I know.

Just think about what is functional for you - every family has different needs

I like both, but the TV opposite the windows causes a lot of glare. You'll need dark curtains to cover those windows.
Sectional couch is ok, but I prefer one regular couch and a couple of recliners.

Silver_fox said:
Do you think this great room has a good appealing layout and design?

What you people think which is more popular, Great room concept vs separate living and dinning area.? Offcourse bigger the house, more space there would be, so dont compare it with Great park houses lol

I dislike Great Rooms that are just one big rectangle, without any nooks or L shape that help give natural demarcation in terms of use/functionality. Looks like a giant apartment style living room. Reminds me of a larger version of my old apartment in New York City which had the kitchen, "dinette" and living room all rolled into one.

Spend more, get less!

Please help out this old guy who doesn't understand what a "Great Room" is. LOL.

I have a mid-90s house that has a room with kitchen/nook/family room and that seems to be close to what is pictured as the Great Room here, although mine may not as big as the Magnolia one.  So, do I have a "somewhat" Great Room?  I also have a separate dining/living area.  What else is on the first floor other than the Great Room?  A bedroom/office?  If so, aren't you getting "Greatly" gypped?  :p

By the way, what does that door on the far side of the Magnolia 360 tour Great Room lead to?  The front door or the garage?  If front door, I would not like that at all.

A "great room" is a big room composed of  family room, eating area and kitchen with an open room concept. It doesn't include a living room or dining room.

What you (and I) have is a living room, formal dining room, family room, nook and kitchen.

In other words, take our houses, remove the dining room and living room, change the term family room to great room.

I rarely use my formal dining room, never use the living room, but I like having them anyway...... why I don't know, I just do.

It's weird because when I was younger, we didn't use the dining room that much but now we use it quite a bit (along with the living room), esp when we entertain... everyone likes to spread out, even out to the backyard.

Going back to the original question, those Great Room layouts look normal and o.k. to me.  My sliding doors are perpendicular to the wall that has the area for the TV.  And, we have the patio covers outside the sliding doors so no direct sunlight to interfere with the TV.

We don't use the living/dining area much either but it's good for storage.  :p  When our kids' friends come over, it nice to be able to put them there away from us.  As  the kids are getting older, I see them doing things on the dining table more and more.  When we entertain friends, we have our large dining there so it's so convenient to have the extra dining/living area.  Even if the space isn't used all the time, it's so nice that it's there when you need it.

Also, when I am yelling at the kids, they tend to like to move away to the dining/living area.  :p  So, good for that too.

irvinehomeowner said:
It's weird because when I was younger, we didn't use the dining room that much but now we use it quite a bit (along with the living room), esp when we entertain... everyone likes to spread out, even out to the backyard.

Thats because your great room is too small and they no choice but to spread out to other rooms.

Back