HOA Board of Directors salary?

doomsday

I am a resident of the Stonegate. Today I received a memo from my neighborhood association saying the election of director failed due to a lack of quorum so the board appointed a person that was up for election as the director. Apparently not that many people were interested in being a HOA director. But don't they get compensated for that? If so how much?

some probably get kick backs.. ;)

Seems like that's how it was at my last HOA.  The HOA kept getting voted to go up.. no change in HOA... no amenities.  Wish there was a way to investigate this.  (Summerplace)

The Woodbury BODs all got Ipads.  I never got anything when I was on the BOD.  I would have thought some dinner would be the minimum for burning a 6-830PM time-slot once a quarter.

Technically that's a violation - iPad is a form of compensation. It is the same as $500 gift card or $500 cash. (Correct me if I'm wrong) 

eyephone said:
Technically that's a violation - iPad is a form of compensation. It is the same as $500 gift card or $500 cash. (Correct me if I'm wrong) 

the ipads could be owned by the HOA and could be used by the board at home to perform HOA board related work.  just like at work when you get a laptop/iphone/ipad.

qwerty said:
eyephone said:

the ipads could be owned by the HOA and could be used by the board at home to perform HOA board related work.  just like at work when you get a laptop/iphone/ipad.

It's kind of in the grey area.

I came across an article regarding compensation to HOA directors.http://uccai.net/blog-post/legal/paying-directors/

I'm on my community HOA board and have not received compensation of any kind, not even food at meetings. I give up a couple hours every other month for the meeting, and incidental time weekly dealing with minor issues. I knew what I was getting into, and it's OK that I don't get compensation, and I don't expect any.

Few people are interested in serving on HOA board. Few people even vote in the election.

jmoney74 said:
some probably get kick backs.. ;)

Seems like that's how it was at my last HOA.  The HOA kept getting voted to go up.. no change in HOA... no amenities.  Wish there was a way to investigate this.  (Summerplace)

Remember, the service providers increase their rates every year. Gardeners, security, contractors, etc all have rising labor costs that they pass on to the HOA.

If anyone has a thought that somehow there are kickbacks, easy to get involved.  Reason there is not a quorum is because not enough people get involved enough to even turn in a ballot!

Clearly a thankless, disrespected, unpaid, uncompensated job.  Intended to be so.  Anything else is white collar crime.

Try going to a meeting before you assume wrongdoing.

Back