Porto's Bakery

That's awesome.  Buena Park location will cut the drive to Downey by half and hopefully the store will be as big and nice as the one in Downey.

irvinehomeowner said:
Buena Park is still too far.

The closed On The Border location in the Marketplace would be a good spot.

I think a lot of the hispanic owned places don't really like to and aren't used to paying those high rents that TIC likes to charge. I asked the king taco owner wby they didn't open a location in the southbay, I told him I thought they would do very well since there really wasn't good mexican there and the places that served mexican seemed to do pretty well. He said they had looked into places in the southbay but the rents they wanted were ridiculous

I asked them about an OC location long ago, and they said that the owners wanted to keep them closer to home but are considering it. I guess this is the one.

But 2016 is still a long way away... how long does it take to build a bakery?

eyephone said:
Is it just me, whenever I go to Portos, I have to wait a long time to order. #cheeserolls

There's always a line and always a little wait at Porto's but they are very efficient and have plenty of workers to serve customers.  Even if the line was formed out to the door, it will take less than 30 min to get the counter. 

There's a separate line for the whole cake and usually there's no waiting.  If you just want to get a whole cake, go straight to the whole cake line. 

If you are getting individual slice of cake and/or other pastries and you know exactly what you want to get,  try to use the line at the cafe side.  The line at cafe side are usually shorter and move a lot faster.  The cafe side can get everything you wanted but just no display of all the pastries available.

irvinehomeowner said:
I asked them about an OC location long ago, and they said that the owners wanted to keep them closer to home but are considering it. I guess this is the one.

But 2016 is still a long way away... how long does it take to build a bakery?

I remember the Downey location took a few year for planning and 2 years to build.  The actually grand opening was also delayed about 6 month from their initial announced date.

I buy pastries from the Downey location.  They do very good business there -- better than 85C.  My favorite is the meat and potato ball.

...but the cookie that used to sit under the mango mousse seems to be missing.  ;p

momopi said:
I buy pastries from the Downey location.  They do very good business there -- better than 85C.  My favorite is the meat and potato ball.

...but the cookie that used to sit under the mango mousse seems to be missing.  ;p

I never had Porto's but Mexican bakeries usually disappoint me.  The breads are usually bland and dry.  Cakes are fine but often too rich. 

I like Asian bakeries for their different types of cakes and bread.  Vietnamese bakeries make excellent cakes.

Irvinecommuter said:
momopi said:

I never had Porto's but Mexican bakeries usually disappoint me.  The breads are usually bland and dry.  Cakes are fine but often too rich. 

I like Asian bakeries for their different types of cakes and bread.  Vietnamese bakeries make excellent cakes.

Btw - Porto's is not a Mexican bakery. Porto's is a Cuban Bakery.

eyephone said:
Irvinecommuter said:
momopi said:

Well..see what do I know?????

This just made my day! 

I love their guava strudel, they're still tasty after being refridgerated. For a special treat, we make a trip just to go to Porto's. We'll get there for breakfast and get their sandwiches (the plantain chips that come with are so good). We then get back in line to get boxes of pastries to go.

Irvinecommuter said:
eyephone said:
Irvinecommuter said:
momopi said:

Racist :)

qwerty said:
Irvinecommuter said:
eyephone said:
Irvinecommuter said:
momopi said:

Racist :)

Dang it...you guys all look alike on the Internet!

Irvinecommuter said:
momopi said:

I was at 85C in Buena Park yesterday, and noticed that they're now selling strudels.  I'm tempted to say that they're following Portos.  Also, Portos is nothing like a standard Mexican bakery.

The 85C in Buena Park and Cerritos are not as good in quality as the Irvine location.  Just my opinion.  One of few things in food that Irvine does better than elsewhere.

momopi said:
Irvinecommuter said:
momopi said:

I was at 85C in Buena Park yesterday, and noticed that they're now selling strudels.  I'm tempted to say that they're following Portos.  Also, Portos is nothing like a standard Mexican bakery.

The 85C in Buena Park and Cerritos are not as good in quality as the Irvine location.  Just my opinion.  One of few things in food that Irvine does better than elsewhere.

I also went to the 85 degrees in Buena Park and Cerritos. To me, it taste the same as the one in Irvine.

irvinehomeowner said:
Has anyone else but me actually eaten at the Cafe? So good.

Eaten at their cafe a few times and their sandwiches are just as good.  Pan con bistec sandwich is one of my all time favorite.  A slice of marinated steak, tomatoes, grilled onion, and string thin french fries they call potato sticks on Cuban bread, it's so good. 

I meet with Betty Porto last night for a tour of her bakery's kitchen in Downey.  Finally got the truth behind the missing cookie from the mango moose.  She said they take regular trips to France and Italy to get inspirations on new trends and ideas, and the cookie was replaced prolly after a trip to Italy some years ago.  The chocolate eclair is being changed for same reason.

Most of their large equipment is imported from EU.  "Koma" from Netherlands and "Revent" from Germany.  Their kitchen produces about 200 different items.  I was unsuccessful at extracting the recipe for the old mango moose cookie sheet out of her.

Back