Birthday cake

irvinehusky

I remember seeing a discussion about birthday cakes not so long ago.  Sorry, I tried but my bad search skills didn't bring it up.  :p

Where can I get a birthday cake that doesn't have icing that's just too sweet like the ones at Costco?  When I was living up in WA state, I think Fred Meyers had one the same large size as Costco but used whipped cream and tasted good without being too sweet.  The price was about the same too.

I thought one of you mentioned that you could buy it in one of the large grocery stores?  I'm looking for one that uses whipped cream instead of icing and doesn't cost an arm and a leg for those large size and maybe even a little smaller.

Thank you very much for your help.

We used the albertsons off trabuco/Jeffrey for our kids past birthday.  As I recall it was pretty sweet but we like the designs they offered and the ease of ordering online.  It was also an easy one stop shop as we got some fried chicken as well. 

Most asian bakeries would be less sweet though the cost can get expensive if you want a sheet size.  I recommend the bakery inside Zion in Northwood.  85 degrees has decent cakes as well, not sure if they do sheet size but their prices are good.  Might as well get a nicely decorated one for pictures and a bunch of other cakes for variety (that's what we did)

Most of the Asian bakeries make cakes with whipped cream as icing. Asians don't like sweet icing.  We have had good luck with either Paris Baguette inside Zion Market, or J Sweet bakery inside the 99 Ranch plaza on Jefferey.

going to a bday party and eating whipped cream icing on a cake instead of sugar icing is like going to fatburger and getting a Turkey burger. Major disappointment

Actually, some years back when we served cake with whipped icing on it, a few of the parents told me that was the first time they seen their kids ask for cake seconds.  And they were non-Asian.

Of course there are Asians like me who don't mind sugar icing and can eat 10 pieces of it.  That's why I get fat.  :p

Most of the kids probably just take a bite or two or none and it gets thrown away so Costco cake is probably good for that.

We might get a separate cake for the kids and parents.

qwerty said:
going to a bday party and eating whipped cream icing on a cake instead of sugar icing is like going to fatburger and getting a Turkey burger. Major disappointment

Back